• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK dragonflies and damselflies, 2013 (1 Viewer)

Forgot to mention there was also a major emergence of common darter at the reculver RVD site on sun. Plus plenty of black tailed skimmer, emperor and blue damsels. But the rvds rocked.

Three Red-veined Darters on the model boating lake on Southampton Common this morning.

My first Black Darter of the year in the New Forest this afternoon.

Nice one Paul, are these red males or early tenerals?

cheers, alan

Red males - one with 3.5 wings but the other two looked to be in good nick so they should be there for a few days more. They were resting on the tarmac path on the southern side but I expect that was because of the NE wind.

Attachments

• 7DA_3647_smaller.jpg
    7DA_3647_smaller.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Hi Paul/James et al.,

Sorry to come to this thread rather late, but my wife is seriously ill at the moment and it’s rather a difficult time for me.

The autumn generation of RvDs, which emerges after a few months development time, clearly disperses/migrates, but very little is known about this process. Certainly some seem to travel at night (several have been caught in UV moth traps in recent years), which may partially explain the mystery. There is circumstantial evidence that spring emergents, which have a much longer development time, may however be more site-faithful, and it’s this strategy that probably explains longer-lived breeding sites in the UK (In the USA, the Green Darner is also known to have two sub-populations - a faster developing migrant form and a more-slowly developing resident form).

This year I’ve only had one report of spring emergences - a single teneral was seen in Victoria Park, London, on 1 June. I’ve not heard anything from the Heysham site as yet, but this site is definitely no-longer thriving, and records in recent years could well refer to migrants rather than locals.

Apologies again for the delay,

Adrian
(BDS Migrant Dragonfly Project)

Red males - one with 3.5 wings but the other two looked to be in good nick so they should be there for a few days more. They were resting on the tarmac path on the southern side but I expect that was because of the NE wind.

Today there were three males and a female. The males all appeared to be fully winged. A pair were ovipositing in tandem so perhaps worth watching the pool again from the third week in September although there is little vegetation for them to use to emerge.

Attachments

• 7DA_3757.jpg
    7DA_3757.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 66
If anyone is after Norfolk Hawker at the moment, I was at Strumpshaw Fen RSPB yesterday evening and there were plenty along the Meadow Trail ditch. Very accommodating - I got pix of male hung up and female in flight and ovipositing with a minimum of difficulty.

Other species present were Blue-tailed and "ordinary" Emerald Damselflies, Scarce Chaser, Black-tailed Skimmer, Four-spotted Chaser.

Earlier I had Southern and Migrant Hawkers at Minsmere RSPB (but failed on Norfolk Hawker although they are present.)

John

Arrived at Soton Common at about 10am and it was a bit late (and hot) for settled RVDs; nevertheless managed 3 males (together at one stage) and a female over the southern end. Watched with Farnborough John and his wife until midday-ish; the RVDs occasionally landed on the path but were very wary in red hot weather. Returned at 8pm and all that I could find was a single Emperor patrolling.

1-2 Small red-eyed damsels on a private pond near Beaulieu in the afternoon.

cheers, alan

Arrived at Soton Common at about 10am and it was a bit late (and hot) for settled RVDs; nevertheless managed 3 males (together at one stage) and a female over the southern end. Watched with Farnborough John and his wife until midday-ish; the RVDs occasionally landed on the path but were very wary in red hot weather. Returned at 8pm and all that I could find was a single Emperor patrolling.

1-2 Small red-eyed damsels on a private pond near Beaulieu in the afternoon.

cheers, alan

Oh no no no you're going to get me into trouble! That's not my wife Marion, that's my friend Clare! My fault for not doing formal introductions. Anyway, belatedly - Mr Alan Lewis, Miss Clare Dell. And vice versa.

Clare and I continued to Latchmore Brook where we had 20+ Scarce Bluetails, all males, a couple of Golden-rings and several Beautiful Demoiselles, along with the commoner stuff.

By the time we returned to Farnborough the Odonata list for the day stood as follows:

Red-veined Darter
Emperor
Common Blue Damsel
Azure Damsel
Keeled Skimmer
Black-tailed Skimmer
Broad-bodied Chaser
Four-spotted Chaser
Large Red Damsel
Small Red Damsel
Blue-tailed Damsel
Scarce Blue-tailed Damsel
Beautiful Demoiselle
Golden Ringed Dragonfly
Common Darter

Clare had had enough (and she didn't even know she'd been strung into Marion) but I thought I could squeeze a few more out of the day so I trotted off to the Claycart stretch of the Basingstoke Canal and added:

Brilliant Emerald
Red-eyed Damsel
Brown Hawker
Downy Emerald
Banded Demoiselle.

By the time I had reached 20 spp of Odonata I too had had enough and knocked off for the day.

John

15 Species of Odonate on a Speyside wildlife trip last week, including all the specialities. Azure Hawker and Northern Emerald at Bridge of Grudie. Was landed on by a Common Hawker.

Clare had had enough (and she didn't even know she'd been strung into Marion) John

:-O; apologies to all.

I walked the Basingstoke Canal from Aldershot (A325) west to Norris Hill roundabout on Sunday; very hot - managed 2 Downy Emeralds, 1 all too brief Brilliant Emerald and lots of common stuff (at least 3 ovipositing female Anax imp; 10 + Brown Hawkers etc).

Mid pm I did the Moat Pond at Thursley and saw about 4 Downy Emeralds - lots of great flight views but no photos of this speries (as usual!)

cheers, alan

2 males were apparently seen and photographed in the Stour Valley.

Both were still present today and being seen until late afternoon at least. Today they seemed to have moved slightly and were on the main path from Westbere railway crossing to the river Stour, about 50 metres from the T junction with the river. We watched them over a period of two hours flying up and down the ditches either side of the path.

At the Reculver site, three plus male and one female red-veined darter today. the female was ovipositing.

Norfolk Hawkers breeding in Kent

2 males were apparently seen and photographed in the Stour Valley. Check out Marc Heaths blog. These are close to at least two previous sightings.

It's been reported that a pair of Norfolk Hawkers were seen copulating and later a female laying eggs in the same location as the recent sightings. Again great photo's on Marc Heaths blog

RVDs Southampton Common

Yesterday (15/7) there were 5 males and a female with oviposition. Today in a brief visit I saw three males today now joined by the first flying Common Darter. There was at least one Small Red-eyed Damselfly but we need some strong wings to blow the 'vegetation' towards an edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back