• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK dragonflies and damselflies, 2016 (1 Viewer)

Is there anybody on this thread that can tell me if Goring is still the place to look for club tail? I had a look last year whilst visiting the nearby Monkey orchids but couldn't find any. Also would this weekend be a good time to visit?

Cheers Ben

Is there anybody on this thread that can tell me if Goring is still the place to look for club tail? I had a look last year whilst visiting the nearby Monkey orchids but couldn't find any. Also would this weekend be a good time to visit?

Cheers Ben
Reported from "2 places on the Thames" on 15 May (no details of exactly where) so no reason not to give it a go.

Last year they had a really bad year at Goring rail bridge. I've heard a couple of different theories, one that water levels were bad for emergence and another that a lot of larvae may have been swept downstream by the big floods a couple of winters ago. Either way, people were reporting much better results at Beale Park than at Goring. Saying which, I went twice and saw nothing.

If you do go, please let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
The Somerset levels seem to be the place to be this year - Scarce Chaser at Shapwick Heath 15 May and Black-tailed Skimmer at Ham Wall 19 May.

15 May also saw the first report of Southern Damsel, from a site near Abingdon.

Not the first sighting of the year, but some fantastic news from Foulshaw Moss, Cumbria, where the White-face reintroduction scheme is. A count of 855 exuvia from a thorough survey by 3 people on 17 May is tremendous. Details on the BDS sightings page.

Highlight of my week wasn't dragonflies for once - there was a truly astonishing hatch of mayflies from the Thames at Reading on Thursday. As it was a bit windy, they concentrated in sheltered spots near the river and the effect was incredible.

Reported from "2 places on the Thames" on 15 May (no details of exactly where) so no reason not to give it a go.

Last year they had a really bad year at Goring rail bridge. I've heard a couple of different theories, one that water levels were bad for emergence and another that a lot of larvae may have been swept downstream by the big floods a couple of winters ago. Either way, people were reporting much better results at Beale Park than at Goring. Saying which, I went twice and saw nothing.

If you do go, please let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the info, will be giving it a go next weekend now the weather looks better then. I will let you know how I get on if nobody else visits before then.

Cheers Ben

Had a White-legged Damsel on my local pond in Bristol today :)

I have managed three trips this week 2 of which are N/ Hampshire with various damsels / large reds/ red eyed/ common and blue tail. With downy /Hairy/ BBC/ and FSC as well. Eagerly waiting more species. At the third visit I visited a Berkshire/ N Hampshire site for White legged damsel fly Tenerals numerous and downy emeralds x 8 TADLEY Berks
Kind regards Mike

After a disappointing morning at Goring railway bridge not seeing any Clubtail, I moved on to Pangbourne and managed just one Clubtail. It was only after walking up and down the river for what seemed like hours I found one next to the path leading back to Beale park, it was showing nicely and I quickly forgot how fed up I was.

There was at least 7 exuvia at the railway bridge and I also managed to find 2 along the river at Pangbourne so a good day in the end.

Ben

After a disappointing morning at Goring railway bridge not seeing any Clubtail, I moved on to Pangbourne and managed just one Clubtail. It was only after walking up and down the river for what seemed like hours I found one next to the path leading back to Beale park, it was showing nicely and I quickly forgot how fed up I was.

There was at least 7 exuvia at the railway bridge and I also managed to find 2 along the river at Pangbourne so a good day in the end.

Ben

Nice one Ben, I hope to get there Tuesday onwards. Parking is a mare since they closed the main road parking a few years back. Club tail has been my nemesis over several years and several visits each year still no luck maybe 2016 will be my year.
Kind regards Mike
http://www.wingsofnature.org/

Last edited:
Warren Heath

Warren Heath in Hampshire seems to be an excellent place to see dragonflies and damselflies.
Does anyone have details of access to the site such as where to park, the best route to the ponds and any other tips that they could pass on to me please?

Thanks,
Roger

Warren Heath in Hampshire seems to be an excellent place to see dragonflies and damselflies.
Does anyone have details of access to the site such as where to park, the best route to the ponds and any other tips that they could pass on to me please?

Thanks,
Roger

try the community section on this website (recent relevant thread with some details, a local who may help, and stuff from past posts too):-
http://www.ukdragonflies.com/index.php

here's one older thread on it:http://www.ukdragonflies.com/index.php?topic=659.0

think there' a more detailed one with more logistics in the 'observations' forum from a couple of years back if you trawl.

not been there, mesef, good luck

Last edited:
Thanks Larry. That's great, especially the links to the UKDragonflies site. The weather looks quite good for tomorrow so I might give it a go.

Roger

Just noticed Southern Migrant Hawkers have been seen in Essex this year, at Hockley Woods (per BDS website). Anyone know of any other sighting of this species, or Southern Emerald Damselfly, this year? This thread's been especially quiet!

SMHs

Just noticed Southern Migrant Hawkers have been seen in Essex this year, at Hockley Woods (per BDS website). Anyone know of any other sighting of this species, or Southern Emerald Damselfly, this year? This thread's been especially quiet!

+1 for this. Any details gratefully received. Having missed the Wat Tyler fun last year I've been keeping an eye on the BDS page too. These have been reported twice in the last week and I would love to see this species.

Larry, I work in Bristol - lift share?

P

Check here for more updates on SMH sightings:

http://www.sognet.org.uk/News.asp

They were fairly easy in Hockley Woods last week, surprising that they're there given the habitat is apparently at odds with their normal haunts on the continent, and completely different to the other sites they've been seen at in Essex / Kent in recent years.

However, the views at Wat Tyler will (should!) be better, with the added bonus of Scarce Emeralds on site.

The finder of last year's Southern Emerald is checking regularly and news will be released if and when there's an appearance.

Does the lack of further SMH reports mean they've gone...or that they're not being reported to prevent trampling?
I've still not caught up with them in recent years so was thinking of a trip if they're still available...
Feel free to PM me if preferred!

Does anyone know where I need to be looking in Hockley woods for southern migrant hawker? I'm heading that way tomorrow, I'm going to Wat Tyler first but would also like to visit Hockley as it seems there's been a few showing there to.

Cheers Ben

From the main car park by The Bull pub, head down the east side of the woods with the playground on your left. Continue down the hill with the gardens on your left and at the end of the gardens you'll cross a small stream and be on a gravel path. Turn left here and last week the SMH were 200m or so down this ride, in the general area of the bench.

If you're going to Wat Tyler you could do worse than to pop in to RSPB West Canvey Marshes, where SMH were apparently into double figures the other day. The ditch between the end of the hedge north of the car park and the children's play area has been a favoured spot in previous years.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back