• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Listing software question (1 Viewer)

Robert Ellis

Larus marinus
I am looking for basic bird listing software and I know nothing about it. I would like something that would work with a PC and a PDA, I could care less about the detail it takes as long as it records my lists. The most important thing I would like is a way to add birds manually instead of picking them all from a list, for example I would want to have my mostly North American birds with the small amount of European species I've ticked. My trusty AOU checklist has the margins full of write-ins. Do most let you write them in or are you confined to the list for the region you buy?

Robert,

I've been using an ABA Microsoft Word list and highlighting North American birds I've sighted. For anything seen outside that region, I just type in the bird's Latin and English names. I also type in the location and date next to each entry. There are probably better ways, but most of my birds are are from the ABA list and the Microsoft Word format is not too large in terms of data storage. You can also save MS Word in Rich Text File format and transfer between various storage devices without too much trouble. Next year I plan to spend some time in Australia and I may find that hand typing/editing large numbers of non-ABA birds to the list will be a chore, but then again I may consider it an excellent opportunity to re-live a great vacation. There are lots of ABA checklists that you can easily copy into a MS word file on the Internet. Good Luck.

Joe H

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back