• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Presentation (2 Viewers)

Photomoustaches

Hello to everybody.

I am a new member on this forum.

Enthusiast about all what is concerned with birds watching and photographing.

I have a Nikon D7000 and a Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300 f4.5-5.6 G IF-ED lens. Although this is a good combination, I would like to add a tele-converter to it. I am thinking to a Kenko 1.4 PRO 300 DGX type.

Has somebody have any experience with this or have an opinion.

I would be pleased to read your comments.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BF :t:

I'm going to move your thread to the Nikon section of the Forum as you are likely to get more feedback there. I've also subscribed you to this thread so you don't lose track of it ;)

Hello,

I had that exact combo of D7000 and the 70-300mm. It is a nice light lens/camera combo and I took some decent photos with it. The only draw back is that this lens it's too slow to work with a teleconverter. I have since moved to the 300mm f4 which is it a super lens, very sharp and works great with the nikon 1.4TCII.

Combo D7000 and 70-300 Lens

Hello,

I had that exact combo of D7000 and the 70-300mm. It is a nice light lens/camera combo and I took some decent photos with it. The only draw back is that this lens it's too slow to work with a teleconverter. I have since moved to the 300mm f4 which is it a super lens, very sharp and works great with the nikon 1.4TCII.

Thanks for your answer Ray.
I somewhere heard that the Kenko 1.4 could do a good job..., even on a 70-300 mm Nikkor . Did somebody hear about that?

Ray, I have visited your Flickr photo gallery in the meantime. Are those excellent pics taken with the 300 mm f4 or other lenses? is your 300 mm a recent AF-S lens?

Thanks for reverting.

Last edited:
Back when I had a 70-300 VR, I did try mounting a Kenko 1.4x teleconverter to it once. The autofocus still worked, but I was disappointed in the results; while the 70-300 by itself is pretty decent, with a teleconverter the image was soft, even stopped down to f/11. Granted, everyone has a different threshold of what constitutes "acceptable" sharpness, but this one was way below mine.

On the other hand, the Kenko works superbly when mounted on the Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S, which I can also vouch for as an excellent lens. It's quite good at f/5.6 at close distances, and sharpens up nicely at f/8. I think the general rule is that prime lenses take to teleconverters much better than variable-aperture zooms do.

Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S

Back when I had a 70-300 VR, I did try mounting a Kenko 1.4x teleconverter to it once. The autofocus still worked, but I was disappointed in the results; while the 70-300 by itself is pretty decent, with a teleconverter the image was soft, even stopped down to f/11. Granted, everyone has a different threshold of what constitutes "acceptable" sharpness, but this one was way below mine.

On the other hand, the Kenko works superbly when mounted on the Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S, which I can also vouch for as an excellent lens. It's quite good at f/5.6 at close distances, and sharpens up nicely at f/8. I think the general rule is that prime lenses take to teleconverters much better than variable-aperture zooms do.

Thanks for this useful comment. I'll start saving...

Hi Flanken,

We had a conversation last February. Maybe you will remember.
I very recently had the opportunity to buy a second hand (very good condition) AF Nikkor lens 300 mm f/4 IF ED. So not an AF-S type.
Have you an idea whether this lens can be used with satisfaction with a Kenko tele-converter 1.4X. There are actually 2 types:
Teleplus Pro 300 DGX and
Teleplus MC4 DGX.
What do you think to be the most convenient?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Of course the question was also raised to all other participants of the Forum.

I used to have the old AF 300mm f4.0 lens, which on its own is very good.
However, IMHO it doesn't work well with any converter for birding, due to the external AF drive, which slows down AF prohibitively.
It may be OK for more static subjects.
YMMV......

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back