• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding with Google Earth! (1 Viewer)

Wayland

This comes under the category "nothing better too do".

If the weather is too bad, or your just too tired or lazy you can still go birding in the comfort of your own home, courtesy of Google Earth!
You also had the added advantage of being able to choose anywhere on Earth, it's free and it's got a very low Carbon Footprint.
If you check out the photo you will see what I mean. The white blobs in the water are Mute Swans and the smaller grey blobs are Mallards. How do I know? It is my local patch - Coate Water in Swindon, England. This puts my Google Earth list at 2. Can you beat it?
Top marks to anyone who can find a Bird(s) in flight!

Attachments

• Coate Water.jpg
    Coate Water.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 177
This comes under the category "nothing better too do".

If the weather is too bad, or your just too tired or lazy you can still go birding in the comfort of your own home, courtesy of Google Earth!
You also had the added advantage of being able to choose anywhere on Earth, it's free and it's got a very low Carbon Footprint.
If you check out the photo you will see what I mean. The white blobs in the water are Mute Swans and the smaller grey blobs are Mallards. How do I know? It is my local patch - Coate Water in Swindon, England. This puts my Google Earth list at 2. Can you beat it?
Top marks to anyone who can find a Bird(s) in flight!

how you can rule out a female Gadwall, or a white greylag, I'll never know ;)

Or, you can bird using the streetview function of Google Maps; my list stands at 3: Silver Gull, Australian Pelican, Black Swan.

Doe a flying car count?

Maybe it's a Suzuki Swift?
haha, fantastic (or possibly not if that was the beginning of a horrendous accident) where is it?

as for google earth, i use it pretty much exclusively for placemarking reserves and other good birding sites.

Or if you don't have internet access, TV birding. Not allowed to be a nature program thats cheating. Calls count too, so when you subject to that awful soap your misses loves, keep an eye and ear out :)

Or if you don't have internet access, TV birding. Not allowed to be a nature program thats cheating.

B*gger - I've been watching "How To Watch Wildlife" (Bill Oddie) and have added LOADS... I didn't realise it was cheating, so I'll have to start all over again!

Neil.

P.S. Does the Attenborough series "The Life Of Birds" not count either?

:D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back