• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch-HG: any definite info. on improvements? (1 Viewer)

Andy, thanks for the further info,
and sorry to have pressed you.
Where I am it is nearly impossible to look for binoculars,
getting one (from abroad) is a long process,
returning is complicated if possible at all,
and selling here is uncertain
(finding takers for a model, even if the unit is in perfect order),
and will be at a much lower price.
(I have gone through that n times!)
Hence all this!
Maybe I should have explained in this thread.
(I have, several/many times, in others!)
Best wishes,
Adhoc

Thanks all.

"I've never gone birding with this binocular and said "I wish I had brought my ______ binocular instead."

What Chuck says there is really all one needs of a binocular for birdwatching.

Chuck, you have been possessing, and reviewing, an array of the best binoculars such as seldom read of in this forum (and not since I began reading in it). Now there is something that can make your reviews and comments on these still more useful to many. From the way you write I think you will not mind this suggestion being made directly and not take it amiss! I have made it several/many times in this forum.

That is that a reviewer tells us about their vision, particularly their visual acuity. But I am afraid I have no idea about how easy it is to determine this in the US: requesting the optician in a regular visit to test it also, or getting a suitable chart and doing it oneself, etc. BTW, 20/20 is not normal or average acuity for a young person with good eyesight, that acuity received that name for historical reasons, and for such a person it is more like 20/15, as I gather. Thank you!

I'd say I have good eyesight. Fully corrected to better than 20/20 with eyeglasses. Basically ALL the binoculars I use are at least POINTED in the direction of eyeglasses wearer.

Consider I AM looking at birds to ID the species. Sunny skies/dreary skies. Rain/snow(sometimes). Doesn't that imply a certain amount of visual acuity to participate? I don't always use binoculars! ;)

A few minutes ago, I took a picture of a stack of binoculars I have(See below). In this stack are twelve binoculars. Green ones, gray ones, black ones, etc. Some made in Japan, China, Czech Republic, Austria, and Germany. Price? Probably about $500 to about $2500. ALL are excellent optically and offer the user/purchaser a nice birding binocular. I wonder how many can tell the difference in the sweet spot? Bigger question...Do you need to?

Exactly what is it that you would like a Monarch HG to do that you are afraid it won't?

BTW....it would be GREAT to know your first name and where you are from!

Attachments

• IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 251
Chuck,

Thank you for the info. there.

My own acuity, which I always state when I report on a binocular at any length in this forum, is 20/15, or possibly a little towards 20/20 from there, hence similar. Others with better acuity, of whom there are many on this forum, will see differences among models which we do not. On the other hand, there are many to whom two models will be equally good where you see difference/s between them, with the same kind of scrutiny.

In regard to a "certain amount of" VA being needed for bird watching and bird id., with or without a binocular, I am afraid I really do not know (even approximately) below what level of acuity a person will be unable to do these things.

The sweet spot, which you comment on, is one of those aspects of a binocular's optics which matters more to some than to others, as long as it is not tiny, of course, in which case a problem with image clarity is more easily seen.

"Exactly what is it that you would like a Monarch HG to do that you are afraid it won't?" The question in that form is difficult to answer! Briefly, taking my two main concerns here, sharpness and color fringing, or CA, the answer would be: convey an image in which sharpness and CA control are good enough. For what? For a distant id., compared with an "alpha". Comfort in viewing. The pleasure of using these magical devices.

The response below to your BTW needs, I think, to be more than BTW in nature!

I have to apologize for still wishing to remain anonymous, which is the reason I assumed a forum name, and for still wishing to reveal the minimum about me otherwise, which is why I also prefer not to state my location! Please see how far you can tolerate weirdos: maybe you can stretch it a bit more!

If at some stage it seems to me that there is an idea generally, that is, in more than a handful of members, that I should reveal more information about me then I would rather discontinue (that is, actually resign, or else just fall silent) than obtain information from others unfairly.

Perhaps the best policy is to be more cautious in my questioning others about themselves, for whatever reason, and about what I write of myself that might cause more interest than I am comfortable with!

Best wishes,
Adhoc

Chuck,

Nice photo of the stack of cases---an interesting quiz for the experts among us would be to ID the binos from their cases!

Peter

Adhoc,
If I may ask, what other binoculars do have and use?
Andy W.
From a post by me on Feb. 22 this year in a Zeiss thread:
- - - - - - - - - -
The Victory Pocket 8x25 is now the only binocular I use, and will probably remain so except for one more in 15x or 12x for higher x and for dim light. The text below I posted a year back (in another thread) and my needs remain the same.

"I have now had binoculars in 6,7,8,10,12,16x and 24,25,30,32,40,42,43,50,56,70 mm, which I have given away or sold. But for years my only optics for bird watching, conservation and ornithology, day and night, in varied habitats, was a small 8x25 Nikon. It was very rarely felt to be inadequate."

That period ended 7-8 years ago. Then I discovered fine optics! BirdForum was one source. Today that Nikon is not quite good enough for me. But it seems that I have found the replacement.
- - - - - - - - - -

- Alpen Teton 15x50 on the way (I do not like to use a monocular scope)

If the Alpen disappoints then I go for
- Meopta MeoStar-HD 12x50, OR
- Leupold ProGuide-BX4 12x50

Tempted also by
- Leica Ultravid-Plus 7x42 OR
- Nikon Monarch-HG 8x42
which will make the total 3.

- Slik Lighty monopod for the high-x instrument (already arrived)

- Leica Ultravid 10x25 "left over", almost never used, may go
- Hawke Sapphire 8x25, "car bino", but currently misplaced(!)

Last to go, both in Feb. this year, after a few days of use, given away
- Nikon Monarch-5 12x42
- Bushnell Legend-M 8x42.

Adhoc,

Well you have gone through quite a range of glass. I liked the Meostar 12X50 however the eye relief was sufficient for the night sky (provided some great views), but a bit slow during the daytime for terrestrial viewing. It took me too long to get the right eye placement, others are fine with it and it is a great glass, however just not enough eye relief for me.

I have the Meostar 7X42 and 8X42 both are very very good performers, though for some a bit on the heavy side.

I have the Leica UV 8X42 HD a very small portable glass, and have viewed with the 7X42 UV HD. You cannot go wrong with either the Leica 7X42 or the Nikon HG 8X42, depending on where you live it may come down to service and Warranty- it is likely different I believe, in the US and elsewhere. The Nikon is also about $700 less.

Let us know how the views are with the Alpen.

Andy W.

Last edited:
Andy, thanks for the tips.

I do not use a binocular these days for the skies.

I have a bit of a fixation for small size,
and, then, light weight, which in most instances goes with it.

The MeoStar 12x50 is very attractive to me going by reviews,
but pretty big, so to find something against it relevant to me
is a relief, as a reason not to get one!

(Also, I wear glasses, being short-sighted.)

But I hope the Alpen will do.
(BTW, Alpen closed down, but this was ordered before that.)

Ultravid 7x42 vs Monarch-HG 8x42: the benefits to me are
- depth of field, and
- sharpness (so probably more detail even at 7x due to steadiness)
though I am not sure that I will see that difference at my acuity,
if the Nikon is a non-lemon in regard to sharpness!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back