• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pocket camera recommendations (1 Viewer)

Olympus TG-4

I have just purchased an Olympus Tough TG-4. Little use for birds but as a pocket camera it appears to do everything else very well. I particularly wanted it as an underwater camera but it also close focuses down to 1cm for macro.
It very "programmable", has decent fps for action, shoots in RAW and JPEG, has GPS and WiFi and it's ....tough!
Very pleased with the initial shots I have tested it with so far and at only just over £200 imported from Hong Kong I think it's a bargain.

Agree on the TG-4. Still (I think) the only all-weather camera that allows you to shoot in RAW (I had been using Panasonic all-weathers that don't). It also appears to be a natural born digiscoping camera (albeit a small sensor), and has impressive macro capabilities (get a black body to avoid color cast reflected from the camera).

The zoom range is limited which, for me, is a good thing, since greater zoom ratios mean more optical design compromises. By using a folded light path, there is no protruding lens and there is no wait for the lens to extend when you turn the camera on.

If you don't need the zoom range then the RX100 series are hard to beat - I am still using the original and know that the new models are better but am still very pleased with what the original can do. I have tried other pocket cameras (Canon S100 and Fuji XF1 being my other favourites) but the Sony out performs all the others I have used. Also it can be used for digiscoping which is handy when needed. Here is a link to a few shots with mine, nothing special but might give some idea - https://www.flickr.com/photos/37669825@N04/albums/72157645426498853

You've touched on something here I'm keen to get to the bottom of - super zooms that can also be used for digiscoping. I have tried to find this out elsewhere without much sucess. What actually allows a camera to be digiscope-friendly and which ones simply can't be used?

I'm after a digi-friendly superzoom which is also pocketable, unlike the DSLR-lookalikes which seem a bit bulky. Have been considering something like the Sony HX90V or Panasonic TZ70.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back