• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SWAROVSKI EL 10 x 32 WB an overlooked gem (1 Viewer)

Apochromat

ZEISS VICTORY SF 8x42 SWAROVSKI EL 8.5x42 WB NL Pu
Dear All,

a few months ago -and being a ZEISS fan- surprisingly I bought a factory new SWAROVSKI EL 10x32 WB SWAROVISION FIELD PRO PACKAGE. The decision was made on image quality and a bit on the binoculars ability to give a stable image when birding.

BTW this is my favorite 10x birding glass now:

It is noticeable better in contrast, structural detail rendition and colour reproduction than any other SWARO 10x binocular of the EL range (I looked at all of them in a hunting store and was allowed to take them outside looking at some rural birds, trees and summer flowers nearby the store) and as such it is a totally overlooked gem. Especially its amount of chromatic aberration is the lowest of all EL 10x and visually very comparable to the ZEISS SF´s and the KOWA PROMINAR binoculars. Its focus feeling is good and even in both directions, but not as buttery smooth as the focus wheel feeling of my SF. I also had the opportunity to compare it with a factory new SF 10x42. I liked the color reproduction slightly more, but especially the micro contrast and most of all the edge sharpness of the SWARO slightly better, albeit the superior ergonomy and felt lesser (!) weight of the SF 10x42 (780 g versus 595 g).

I also looked at a factory new LEICA NOCTIVID 10x42 (beautifully strong color contrast, the individual sample had a fairly stiff focus and I did not like its ergonomy too much, smaller perceived field of view, felt weight was also higher but still reasonable to good). If the LEICA NOCTIVID would have had a slightly larger imaged object field, a lower felt weight and a better focus feeling, I would have gone with that one, just because of its fantastic image color density.

The Swaro EL 10x32 WB, compared to my beloved ZEISS SF 8x42, due to its slightly smaller pupil diameter of 3.2 mm has an eye placement that is a bit more crucial when wearing glasses. But the height of its exit pupil of 20 mm is a very good value -if not the best. It has the same but ultra-edge sharp image diameter of 120 m/ 1000 m, exactly the same as the SF 10x42. As I am north of 50, a pupil diameter of 3.2 mm works fine for me and the birds I am interested in are active when the sunlight is still there. If not, I prefer my SF 8x42.

The ZEISS VICTORY FL 10x32 I was able to borrow for 2 days was also a superior alpha binocular for birding, with the strongest micro contrast of all, but I liked the EL´s ergonomy much better, as well as the overall make of the SWAROVSKI. Imagewise the FL ist still a stunning piece of optics.

I also noticed that the SWAROCLEAN coatings are very different from those of LEICA (AquaDura) and ZEISS (LotuTec): Whereas the LotuTec has the strongest repellent effect on liquids of all, the SWAROCLEAN has a more antistatic effect on the dust particles. It is easiest to blow off the dust here with an appropriate tool like the GIOTTOS Pro Dustblower (not the silly tolls included in the SWAROVSKI or ZEISS cleaning kits, they are useless). What I did not like is the type of grease SWAROVSKI is using to lubricate the eyecup tubes with. It is difficult to remove from the eyepiece´s eye lens when on it.

Thanks Michael

Last edited:
Thanks for your review. I found your comparisons particularly useful. You’ve definitely added another item to my menu as I’m currently searching for an everyday 10x.

Thanks again and best,
Jerry

Jumping on an older post here: Thanks Michael this is all very helpful. At 64 and doing most of my viewing in good light, my favorite configuration is a 10x32. I own Leica Ultravid HD plus, Zeiss Victory FL T and Swaro 10x32s. All are excellent but if i had to choose between the three it would be the Swaro for the reasons you point out.

I have also been tempted by the SF and Noctivid (although no 10x32 models yet) so your helpful observations about those possible acquisitions have save me a lot of money!

Apochromat,

A gem... right you are! I had a 10x32 EL WB (non-swarovision) for ten years until steadiness issues forced me to part with it. I have never been as content with any binocular since and I have tried them all (well almost :bounce:).

CG

Great review, my go-to binoculars are the 8x32 EL pro when I'm carrying a camera and spotting scope. I like everything about them. I heard a rumor that Zeiss is making a 32mm SF in the next year or so.

Apo, enjoy your new little Swaro -- not exactly overlooked, with many fans here. 10x32 has been my own go-to format for years now. Leica, but I'm sure the Swaro is excellent also. I've never tried one myself, but easily could now, as a shop has just opened here that carries the top brands. I held the 10x SF and Noctivid for the first time today, just because people have so much to say about them on BF... first reaction: I don't really go for 42s, I want something smaller, or occasionally larger. But the SF is a real winner, instantly likeable in every way, including that FOV, without the typical Zeiss distortion in the outer field. Afterward the Noctivid felt heavy and clunky, and I seem not to be deeply impressed by its rumored magic. It's wonderful to have so many great options available for different tastes.

Dear All,

a few months ago -and being a ZEISS fan- surprisingly I bought a factory new SWAROVSKI EL 10x32 WB SWAROVISION FIELD PRO PACKAGE. The decision was made on image quality and a bit on the binoculars ability to give a stable image when birding.

BTW this is my favorite 10x birding glass now:

It is noticeable better in contrast, structural detail rendition and colour reproduction than any other SWARO 10x binocular of the EL range (I looked at all of them in a hunting store and was allowed to take them outside looking at some rural birds, trees and summer flowers nearby the store) and as such it is a totally overlooked gem. Especially its amount of chromatic aberration is the lowest of all EL 10x and visually very comparable to the ZEISS SF´s and the KOWA PROMINAR binoculars. Its focus feeling is good and even in both directions, but not as buttery smooth as the focus wheel feeling of my SF. I also had the opportunity to compare it with a factory new SF 10x42. I liked the color reproduction slightly more, but especially the micro contrast and most of all the edge sharpness of the SWARO slightly better, albeit the superior ergonomy and felt lesser (!) weight of the SF 10x42 (780 g versus 595 g).

I also looked at a factory new LEICA NOCTIVID 10x42 (beautifully strong color contrast, the individual sample had a fairly stiff focus and I did not like its ergonomy too much, smaller perceived field of view, felt weight was also higher but still reasonable to good). If the LEICA NOCTIVID would have had a slightly larger imaged object field, a lower felt weight and a better focus feeling, I would have gone with that one, just because of its fantastic image color density.

The Swaro EL 10x32 WB, compared to my beloved ZEISS SF 8x42, due to its slightly smaller pupil diameter of 3.2 mm has an eye placement that is a bit more crucial when wearing glasses. But the height of its exit pupil of 20 mm is a very good value -if not the best. It has the same but ultra-edge sharp image diameter of 120 m/ 1000 m, exactly the same as the SF 10x42. As I am north of 50, a pupil diameter of 3.2 mm works fine for me and the birds I am interested in are active when the sunlight is still there. If not, I prefer my SF 8x42.

The ZEISS VICTORY FL 10x32 I was able to borrow for 2 days was also a superior alpha binocular for birding, with the strongest micro contrast of all, but I liked the EL´s ergonomy much better, as well as the overall make of the SWAROVSKI. Imagewise the FL ist still a stunning piece of optics.

I also noticed that the SWAROCLEAN coatings are very different from those of LEICA (AquaDura) and ZEISS (LotuTec): Whereas the LotuTec has the strongest repellent effect on liquids of all, the SWAROCLEAN has a more antistatic effect on the dust particles. It is easiest to blow off the dust here with an appropriate tool like the GIOTTOS Pro Dustblower (not the silly tolls included in the SWAROVSKI or ZEISS cleaning kits, they are useless). What I did not like is the type of grease SWAROVSKI is using to lubricate the eyecup tubes with. It is difficult to remove from the eyepiece´s eye lens when on it.

Thanks Michael

Hello,
I am 50+ and I had the most binoculars in my hand, I can safely say that I found my holy grail ...

Peace of mind for the new year!

Attachments

• EL SV.JPG
    EL SV.JPG
    488.8 KB · Views: 384
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back