• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Budget Boots (1 Viewer)

Taxboy

Looking for some recommendations on waterproof fabric boots at the budget end of the market. My main boots are a pair of leather Brasher Hillmaster but I'm looking for something lighter for general pottering about, dog walking going down the pub etc

I know I'll need to try some on but recommendations on where I need to start would be appreciated

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Waterproof or water resistant?

On a budget, I'd consider going with a good pair of waterproof socks (Showers Pass or Sealskinz come to mind in the USA) and then just wear your boot of choice that can survive getting wet without falling apart.

I've had much better luck with waterproofing my feet on a budget this way. Well, that and various kinds of waterproof overboots.

Waterproof or water resistant?

On a budget, I'd consider going with a good pair of waterproof socks (Showers Pass or Sealskinz come to mind in the USA) and then just wear your boot of choice that can survive getting wet without falling apart.

I've had much better luck with waterproofing my feet on a budget this way. Well, that and various kinds of waterproof overboots.
Thanks for that. Its a concept I hadn't considered. Are waterproof socks breathable or do they create condensation issues ?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. Its a concept I hadn't considered. Are waterproof socks breathable or do they create condensation issues ?
Anything truly waterproof isn't really very breathable. That's why I asked if you wanted "proof" or "resistant." Water "resistant" is easier and is simply a compromise between how much breathing and how much water shedding and how much time you want to spend in the wet and how much submersion-level protection you want. And lots and lots of outdoor gear has varying levels of water resistance.

I've tried all manner of Goretex and various knockoffs, copies, and improvements and while some breathe a little, if you get beyond a casual walk, you'll sweat inside them. I still generally prefer sweating to being soaked from the outside...I still get less wet. |:d|

Good waterproof socks tend to be a sandwich material...cotton/wool/blend on the outside, the waterproof (and generally seamless) layer in the middle, and more cotton/wool/blend on the inside for comfort. I used to use Sealskinz, which are certainly waterproof. I've since switched to Showers Pass, which are waterproof and more comfortable. But...I'm not sure how easy it is to get either in the UK or elsewhere. I'm sure there must be similar brands available.

This is stuff I learned cycling and motorcycling in all sorts of terribly wet weather. Good waterproof socks + okay/decent footwear, or normal socks and expensive dedicated footwear.

Of course, that's just me here stateside. Someone in the forums here may have found the exception to the rule or maybe there in Norfolk you have better alternatives in the budget section. |:D|

I think going to somewhere like Millets or Black's is a sensible starting point, because you need to work out what fits your feet. These companies tend to reuse their lasts, so once you've found one that works for you it is feasible to buy online where last year's model (often just last year's colours) can be had at significant discounts at the right time of year.

The problem with fabric boots and membranes is that they tend not to last. As the foot and the shoe moves, it's almost inevitable that rubbing occurs, which will eventually work through the membrane. Once that happens, depending on where the whole is, the boot will no longer be waterproof (in particular when it comes to wet grass, deeper puddles, or small streams). This doesn't affect all models, but I don't think the information about which ones tend to last is anywhere (and the makers tend to make changes reasonably frequently so by the time one model may have a good reputation it is no longer made in the same way).

So I think the best suggestion is to go for something that fits, and try it out. I do think that cheaper options tend to last less well, but this can also happen with more expensive models.

It's also worth finding out whether there are any outlet stores locally which may have discounted stock of good quality. I'm not from your part of the UK so can't advise there.

Andrea

I think going to somewhere like Millets or Black's is a sensible starting point, because you need to work out what fits your feet. These companies tend to reuse their lasts, so once you've found one that works for you it is feasible to buy online where last year's model (often just last year's colours) can be had at significant discounts at the right time of year.

The problem with fabric boots and membranes is that they tend not to last. As the foot and the shoe moves, it's almost inevitable that rubbing occurs, which will eventually work through the membrane. Once that happens, depending on where the whole is, the boot will no longer be waterproof (in particular when it comes to wet grass, deeper puddles, or small streams). This doesn't affect all models, but I don't think the information about which ones tend to last is anywhere (and the makers tend to make changes reasonably frequently so by the time one model may have a good reputation it is no longer made in the same way).

So I think the best suggestion is to go for something that fits, and try it out. I do think that cheaper options tend to last less well, but this can also happen with more expensive models.

It's also worth finding out whether there are any outlet stores locally which may have discounted stock of good quality. I'm not from your part of the UK so can't advise there.

Andrea
Thanks for that you've provided some helpful info. I'll pop in to my local Millers this week to see what they've got an try a few pairs on

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I've kinda gone the other way in the last year or so: I've had several pairs of relatively bargain (end of line, last year's colour and the like) fabric boots from various sources, but have given up as the "waterproof" membrane either isn't very waterproof or it gives up catastrophically (like halfway up a hill in Sutherland in typically wet Scottish rain) or seams start to come apart sooner than you would expect.

So, I've gone back to more expensive (roughly comparable to your Brashers) leather uppers with as few seams as possible, which, even if/when the goretex/whatever gives out can be kept waterproof. In my case it was Zamberlan (although Altberg nearly made the cut) 'cos I have narrow feet and those 2 brands work for me.

Overall, beware false economy, I reckon.

Overall, beware false economy, I reckon.

Couldn't agree more. The higher quality ones tend to work out better value in the long run as you don't have to replace them so frequently.

I have a pair of lightweight Merrel walking trainers, which I use when not likely to come across long wet grass and on decent paths or for short walks as I can actually drive in them, and a pair of full ankle length Solomons for the more arduous stuff.

Neither have let me down and are showing no signs of wearing out and I have had them for several years now.

I’m a fan of army surplus Altberg boots. £150 boots for £50 can’t be bad. Leather with membrane and in width fittings too and tall enough to tuck your trousers into to keep those pesky ticks at bay.

I love Solomon boots. I've had three pairs in a row as my 'proper mountain' boots. The reason I have Karrimors for general winter birding is precisely because the Solomons don't last that long. They're very light and very comfortable but they're not that hard wearing - presumably due to the lightness.

I’m a big fan of salomon too. I use Quest 4Ds for winter but they’re not budget boots. Mine were £135.
I find them too hot outside of winter. Which reminds me, army surplus desert boots are good budget summer boots. When it’s warm, I don’t mind wet feet end desert boots dry out quick.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back