• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New dragonfly for UK (1 Viewer)

aeshna5

Just read on Atropos migrant site that Adrian Parr has announced that a male Yellow-spotted Emerald, Somatochlora flavomaculata, has been recorded at Carlton Marshes, Suffolk today. Doesn't mention photos but there seems no ambiguity about this. Great record for the finder!

Just read on Atropos migrant site that Adrian Parr has announced that a male Yellow-spotted Emerald, Somatochlora flavomaculata, has been recorded at Carlton Marshes, Suffolk today. Doesn't mention photos but there seems no ambiguity about this. Great record for the finder!

Apparently there are photos (probably in the twittersphere where I do not venture) and no doubt at all. Unfortunately it has not been reported since about midday or I would be going tomorrow.

John

I've only had this once here in Russia, not common at all!

Emeralds can be buggers to refind, often along a treeline.

A

Great find + photos. The last edition of Wild Guides "Britain's Dragonflies" included a handful of species yet to appear in the UK but thought to be potential candidates for arrival here. Yellow-spotted Emerald was not on their radar!

I've only had this once here in Russia, not common at all!

Emeralds can be buggers to refind, often along a treeline

A
Moderately common here, been seeing since mid-May... but agree difficult to see them settled. I would however say they are not too difficult to refind as, in my experience, they tend to hold a certain area of bushes as territory, often returning to the same locality.

Moderately common here, been seeing since mid-May... but locally common in extensive marshes'but agree difficult to see them settled. I would however say they are not too difficult to refind as, in my experience, they tend to hold a certain area of bushes as territory, often returning to the same locality.

You must be in a 'hot spot'.

Dijkstra and Lewington give the status as 'generally rare but locally common in extensive marshes, declining in much of range'.

A

Had this gorgeous dragon on a tremendous day in Smaland in southern Sweden (I used to work for a Swedish company). I would never have put this on potential new arrivals list for the UK.

The next question is, did come alone or was it accompanied, and if the latter, will they breed.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back