Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Camera purchase for christmas..need help

Old Tuesday 9th December 2008, 14:13   #1
OK_Scissortail
Oklahoma State Bird

Camera purchase for christmas..need help

Hi everyone, I am looking into finding a decent camera for my boys, one 13 and the other is 19 soon to be 20 in Jan. Here is my situation......The 13 year old goes birding with me and I'll let him use my camera to get a few shots of the birds. He likes video editing and all sorts of graphics. My oldest would use a camera basically for taking photos of his Rover or on vacation trips etc. Typical normal use with a camera. They both are used to me PowershotS3 which has good shutter speed and video, decent range for far away but not good enough for birds at far distance, reason I got my 450D and zoom. Of course they love the 450D but no way am I investing that much in a camera for them at this time. I want to get each of them a camera. Since I have the Powershot S3 and my new camera was thinking maybe just a simple point and shoot that would do video with a 8-10 mp for photos etc. My problem is that I know the point an shoots have lag time which can be very aggravating. I had a Kodak Easyshare long time ago that drove me nuts with lag in shutter and in processing time. I am sure the boys would complain with this after using both cameras. We want to get them the same camera so neither can argue about the others, etc, blah blah. I have looked at the Canon x110 and the Fujifilm S1000fd and S8100 for possibly a faster shutter speed etc but still a little more then I want to pay with everything else they got for X-mas but still undecided. I like what the Fujifilm has to offer with theirs for the money. I also checked out a lower end canon the 790 I think which is handy but worry with it having too slow of processing or shutter. So with all this does anyone know of any point an shoot that is decent or am I best off with the ones mentioned. So hard with one into photography and the other not really but for general photo taking. Should I hold off on the camera for the 19 year old an get him a nice one for his 21st birthday? Get him a reg point and shoot now, not much money and then for 21st get a nicer one? What should I do about the 13 year old that has tons of talent with a camera and computer graphics, with photos and video? Pulling my hair out this year with gift ideas for them since neither really have any idea of what they do want other then clothes. Any ideas on a camera that doesn't cost a huge amount since I am having to buy 2?
Old Tuesday 9th December 2008, 14:25   #2
OK_Scissortail
Oklahoma State Bird

I also have an option of giving my Powershot S3 to one of the boys and buying a camera for the other. Only problem there is, one gets a new one and the other gets a hand me down so not real good idea either. When I got my 450D they both mentioned they wanted my Powershot..AHHHHH

Maybe I could find another used Powershot S3 and problem fixed?..(laughing)

Just checked around for used Powershot 3..geesh cost as much and some more then the ones I am looking at used. Of course I paid more for it new then the ones I am looking at just thought used may be pretty cheap, not so.

Last edited by OK_Scissortail : Tuesday 9th December 2008 at 14:35.
Old Tuesday 9th December 2008, 16:06   #3
Cristian Mihai
Cristian Mihai

Hi OK_Scissortail,

First, I think that we'll need a budget (for both cameras)...
Old Tuesday 9th December 2008, 17:01   #4
OK_Scissortail
Oklahoma State Bird

Hi, would like to stay around the 89.00-130 price range for each camera. If can't get a decent one for that then I may be back to the Fuji or Canon mentioned above.

Old Tuesday 9th December 2008, 19:39   #5
Cristian Mihai
Cristian Mihai

With less then 130$ you can buy a new point-and-shot camera. For a new bridge camera (a superzoom like Canon Power Shot S3/S5, Oly SP550/560/570, FZ18/28, Fuji 1000/8000/2000 the prices are around 300$). I suppose that the only solution is to buy two second hand bridge cameras. So, both will have similar cameras. In my opinion point-and-shot cameras (with optical zoom less then 10X) aren't a real gear for birding. I know nothing about the prices for second hand bridge cameras in USA, but here in Romania you can buy one with, let's say, less then 200$...

Last edited by Cristian Mihai : Tuesday 9th December 2008 at 19:44.
Old Wednesday 10th December 2008, 00:31   #6
OK_Scissortail
Oklahoma State Bird

Thanks Cristian, agree with similar cameras and yep the bridge camera idea sounds good too. Hate to downgrade to a point and shoot since they are both used to my faster cameras and zooms.
I did think the younger one, that birds with me, could use my Powershot S3 for closer up birding or I hand him my 450D to take a shot far away. He likes to bird but his main thing is video graphics on computer and photo graphics so maybe a point and shoot for that and then he uses one of the others for distance. My oldest one will use the camera for social get togethers, vacations and taking close up photos of friends.

Can't really get one an advanced camera and the other a point and shoot, just wouldn't seem right even with the extreme difference in each ones interest in photography.One eats it up while the other just wants to take photos once in awhile. Thought a point and shoot for both with video might fix the problem and hold off until later for the bigger cameras.
Old Wednesday 10th December 2008, 08:12   #7
alan_rymer

Get a 2x Converter for the S3 and pass that to your younger son, as to the older ?.

Its not an optical illusion!. It just looks like one!.
Latest Life bird: Night Heron 16 Aug 20

BF Supporter 2004 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 11th December 2008, 02:24   #8
towheadedmule

A590 Is

I got my father the above, from Amazon, for about 100 dollars. Just an Idea.

Russell
Old Thursday 11th December 2008, 15:27   #9
OK_Scissortail
Oklahoma State Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by towheadedmule View Post
I got my father the above, from Amazon, for about 100 dollars. Just an Idea.

Russell
Hi, yes I have seen this one. The other night I went out and tried some out. The Canon 590 IS seemed to have the faster shutter and the picture quality was better then other cameras with the same pixel. Slight delay with processing but so much better then the others in this category of cameras. Trying it out has made me an even firmer believer that Canon does seem to have it together right now with their line of cameras. I'm extremely happy with my Rebel 450D, the Powershot S3 is great too, and now comparing the point and shoots it is very likely that Canon may have two other cameras in our household. Of course the 590 doesn't compare with my other two but it isn't in the same category or near the same price range. Lowest price I have found so far is $104.00 on sale.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: