• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A strange move by Canon (1 Viewer)

I don't understand the rush by the major SLR manufacturers to incorporate video mode on their new platforms. Video is just not something that I am interested in.

Me neither, if i wanted video, i would have bought a video camera. What is it going to be called in UK......the VD ?

here's a link in the uk - http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1031145 perhaps unsurprisingly it's going to be the 500D. As for the inclusion of video, it does nothing for me either but I dare say there are a lot of consumers out there who will be pleased to see it. For many people who are coming from compacts the lack of video has been seen as a negative for DSLRs, putting it on a consumer model like this makes sense form a marketing point of view.

Interesting to see the lack of video support from those in this community - often I have noted that wildlife enthusiasts have been ones to think the video element to be a good inclusion to a digital camera. Granted its not the most eganomic design for a video and a tripod is probably needed for best performance - but with many using long birding lenses from hides that is not a major change to methods. And it means you can take the odd video without having to carry a video system as well as a DSLR system (and not have to invest in one)
In the end its only liveview recording mode so its no real surprise to me that as liveview became a standard that video would follow - interestingly no mention if the video will allow frame grabbing during recording (that of taking a still at higher quality whilst the video is running a feature of the 5D if I am no mistaken)

Also I wonder - after all the debates about the 50D going to 15mp and the issuse people said about that camera (no real noise improvement over the 40D and a need for high quality lenses to retain details due to stronger noise removal processes) I wonder what the chances are of the rebel having any better ISO performance than its former models.
It certainly looks like a good upgrade to someone on a limited budget who is perhapse using a 400D (or older) and some with a 450D who want video might move up also.
It also makes the 50D stand out as more of a missing release in the canon lineup since it is now the only new DSLR released by canon without the video mode (yes some of us do care about video mode).
Spot metering is also something that I think is a great addition to a lower level camera - whilst its not for everyone its certainly something that has many uses and applications once learnt.

The release is interesting and I wonder if this means we will see a second release in the middle ground crop sensor cameras (a 60D with video?) but I will wait and see how this camera performs with its noise control - the 50D has proven to be decent but not without some concerns and that is a level above this camera.

here's a link in the uk - http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1031145 perhaps unsurprisingly it's going to be the 500D. As for the inclusion of video, it does nothing for me either but I dare say there are a lot of consumers out there who will be pleased to see it. For many people who are coming from compacts the lack of video has been seen as a negative for DSLRs, putting it on a consumer model like this makes sense form a marketing point of view.
Especially in todays economy when most people cannot afford to buy both an SLR and a video camera. Buying one device that does both makes sense. It could be one reason why Nikon and Canon continue to fair pretty well among other reasons.

Having said that, video isn't something that attracts me too much either.

The RRP described puts it right there with the 50D. As the 000D range are considered entry level, what p&s upgraders will think, hmm £850, bargain? Shot I saw of the body on dpr, looks tiny, and apart from supermodels, normal people may find their knuckles rubbed off on the zoom ring...

Can't understand what all the indignation is about on the various photo forums (POTN especially).

Looks like a really nice camera to me. It ticks all the boxes.

Canon want to sell lots to normal people, not niche markets such as nitpicking over-fussy anally retentive hobbyists like us I guess.

I have a 400D and will upgrade to either the 50D or 60D (if it's out) later this year but the 500D may well be a contender, I'll wait for some first hand reviews.

I don't need video. I don't think it will be so useful for birds anyway unless you use a tripod and have a decent 500mm (or longer) lens. I'd rather just get a regular video camera or perhaps a superzoom for that. And does it even have AF in video mode?

Last edited:
What I mean by strange is that it comes so soon after the 450D and so close in spec to the 50D (it got 15M and even the cross type 9 point focus) that it will drag down the 50D sale, especially at this economic atmosphere. I noticed 4 days ago, Canon US still put "New" beside the 5D MarkII and 50D, they took it away 2 days ago and right the next day, came this 500D. There is not a single leak of this product beforehand. So I guess the 60D is on its way too. As for the Video, I won't mind. Sometimes it can be very useful (if I am going to buy this cam, this is the reason. But then the cheaper and lighter SX1 IS may serve me as I already have othe DSLRs).
The price also sounds good!
What I would really like to see is a 15M 1D markIV. I have become to love 50D's 15M as I use it more.

Last edited:
The RRP described puts it right there with the 50D. As the 000D range are considered entry level, what p&s upgraders will think, hmm £850, bargain? Shot I saw of the body on dpr, looks tiny, and apart from supermodels, normal people may find their knuckles rubbed off on the zoom ring...
There are some people who have to have a new camera the moment it comes out. They're the only people who will pay the RRP. As for its size and pixel density - well, it's obviously aimed at the P&S use who decides they have to upgrade to an SLR. And in that market the larger the number you can stick in front of 'MP' and the smaller the actual camera, the more sales you'll get.

I'm surprised they kept it down to 15MP.

Sorry, but I am anything but a P&S user, I have a 40D and 400D and will definately consider upgrading to the 500D pending reviews, ready for the holiday season.

Put some L glass on the front of it and I am sure it will take superb photos.
The 40D is my birding / airshow camera, the 400D is superb as a travel tool.

There is no difference in image quality.

These camera's also make brilliant second body's, no matter how experienced a photographer you are.

What I personally don't understand is why some people care enough about the video mode to complain about it! Both my 350D and 40D have low quality JPG mode, which I would never use - so I don't and that's the end of that. No need to bitch about it. After all, it is not as if just knowing that your still camera also as a video mode spoils the experience of taking stills - is it?

Thomas

well, it's obviously aimed at the P&S use who decides they have to upgrade to an SLR. And in that market the larger the number you can stick in front of 'MP' and the smaller the actual camera, the more sales you'll get.

Oh those stupid pesky P&S folk eh?

Why are people so snobbish and dismissive when entry model DSLRs are released? (This isn't directed at anyone in particular, just read a lot of comments on the net today that's all).

The xxxD series is capable of great shots. Period.

Last edited:
What I personally don't understand is why some people care enough about the video mode to complain about it! Both my 350D and 40D have low quality JPG mode, which I would never use - so I don't and that's the end of that. No need to bitch about it. After all, it is not as if just knowing that your still camera also as a video mode spoils the experience of taking stills - is it?

Thomas

Some people just love complaining, I bet they send their meals back when they eat out !!

Why market it as a DSLR when its not its a hybrid camera that takes video footage,one package can`t do both things well their must be a compromise somewhere along the line.

Steve.

Why market it as a DSLR when its not its a hybrid camera that takes video footage,one package can`t do both things well their must be a compromise somewhere along the line.

Steve.

Why not? The 5D MK2 seems like a pretty serious DSLR and it has video. I'd bet all new models from all manufactureres will have video from now on.

I don't know why anyone would want to moan about having Video on a DSLR :egghead:.
If you don't like video, don't use it........ As long as it takes good photographs what's the problem:t:

The video capability is HD quality and that for many people could make a heck of a difference, but you would need a very big memory card unless there was some means of connecting the camera to an external storage device!

Having said that if I were to upgrade from my 400D, I would go for the 50D which at the moment is cheaper to buy than the 500D.

Could it be that because the 500D is so similar to the 50D, video apart, a 60D is on the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back