• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pewee or fly catcher? (1 Viewer)

cdbird19

Spotted in Estes Park, Colorado. I can't figure this one out. I think it's either a Western Wood-Pewee or a Dusky flycatcher, one I have on my life list, one I don't. It could possibly be a few other Flycatcher species as well.

Going off the Merlin app, the description points to both. For the Pewee, it states "usually seen on a high perch as it watches for prey, then sallies out to snatch insects. After these short flights, it often (but not always) returns to the same perch." It was definitely doing that, even while I was running a table saw nearby (50 feet tops). Plus I figured it was a Pewee as my first impression, partly because of the very slight tuft the Pewee seems to have.

For the Dusky Flycatcher, Merlin mentions a yellow wash on the belly, which I noticed, but was rather subtle. You can see it in the photos, but I think a combination of the phone, scope, and background makes it look more yellow heavy that it really was. It also only made a quick cheep rather than the more complex calls mentioned about the Pewee.

Attachments

• 20200711_132507.jpg
    20200711_132507.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 52
More. I have some video but too big to upload here, I'll have to upload to YouTube or something.

Attachments

• 20200711_132304.jpg
    20200711_132304.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
It's definitely an empidonax flycatcher, but beyond that I can't help you. I'm not very familiar with the western empids.

And just for the record, a pewee is a kind of flycatcher.

I suspected one of the Western Fly species due to the shape of the eye-ring, and using your second photo, Merlin came up with Cordilleran and Hammonds as the two top choices. I therefore suspect Cordilleran, but wait for more expert opinions.

Niels

Took those pictures yesterday, figured I'd take another look at the same spot for a better look and of course he's (they're actually, there are 2-3 at least) back. They're more olive than I initially thought, but only very subtly. Any other features I should look for?

Based off of the eye ring, yellowish color, and location, my guess is Cordilleran Flycatcher.

Only one species of pewee is normally found in Colorado, and it has virtually no eye ring.

I’m nowhere near expert, so correct me if I’m wrong.

Last edited:
True, virtually no eyeing on the Pewee, so that's out (That's what was the one on my life list so something new then).
And the pictures are a little deceptive, there was barely any color except for the yellow mostly on the lower breast and maybe a tinge of olive on the back so I'm leaning toward the Hammond's flycatcher. Partly also because the cheep call sounded fuller like the recording on the Merlin app for the Hammond's, where the cordilleran sounded smaller and thinner. Maybe I'm putting too much into the recordings that were made by different people with different equipment, etc. Thoughts on that?

Last edited:
Definitely NOT a Peewee here. That eye ring with the rear extension, the shaggy crest and range of Colorado make this a Cordilleran FC for me.

I think the dull yellowish tinge to the throat and size of the bill rule out Dusky and Hammond's Flycatchers, both of which have grayer throats and smaller bills, and make this (in Colorado) a Cordilleran Flycatcher.

A couple more shots from Saturday for good measure. I saw them again on the same branch on Sunday. I'm going with Cordilleran. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 20200713_124144.jpg
    20200713_124144.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200713_124246.jpg
    20200713_124246.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200713_124346.jpg
    20200713_124346.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 11
I'm gonna stick my neck out and say Cordilleran, too. I believe Hammond's has a bill with a dark tip and the belly is too yellow for Dusky.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back