• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID North Yorkshire UK (1 Viewer)

TimGeR

Hello.
I'd appreciate any comments on the id of this gull, photo from yesterday.
Thanks,
Tim

Attachments

• Gull.jpg
    Gull.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 310
Thanks for the replies so far. I was thinking possible Yellow-legged Gull. Some more photos were taken but not by me, I’ve asked for copies and will post them when I receive them.

Looks more like a 1cy Herring Gull to me - ( LBBG would show much darker GCs and inner primaries.)

Maybe it’s a YLG but I would expect to see less contrast on the webs of the inner primaries cf to outer webs (the inner webs not as pale as HG so not such an obvious window as HG) - also I believe the ‘lozenges’ on the outer web of the inner primaries is a feature of 1cy HG as are the white tips to primaries - do 1cy YLG show these features?. ( I think the bill structure is good for YLG or HG)

Lesser Black-back, 1st winter, for me

Looks to be a strong candidate for 1cy Yellow-legged Gull.

Looks more like a 1cy Herring Gull to me -

Can anything be determined from the tail pattern here? (Larophobe trying to learn!)

I think I'll join the Seagull camp . . . lump em'all 3:)

Might I ask if the original poster could post the actual image, as some features may not be represented accurately on a back of camera shot?

Here are the original photos showing quite a bit more detail.

Attachments

• Gull1.jpg
    Gull1.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Gull2.jpg
    Gull2.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 86
this settles the case for 1cy herring gull :)

Agree, although I will admit the rather contrasty tail and less conspicuous inner primary 'window' aren't quite what I'd expect on a typical bird. But gulls are often anything but typical, as we often see :smoke:

Last edited:
Agree, although I will admit the rather contrasty tail and less conspicuous inner primary 'window' aren't quite what I'd expect on a typical bird. But gulls are often anything but typical, as we often see :smoke:

Perhaps it would be helpful to hear how others also concluded this was a Herring Gull? I grew up surrounded by mainly Herring Gulls - I was always amazed by the variation - even after 30 years of looking at them, I would still be caught out sometimes!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back