• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (47 Viewers)

Pomskua and Rob's replies are interesting.

On Saturday and Sunday all the birds I saw at Titchwell were heading west. I did not see any birds heading east. The passage was steady all the time I was there 10.00am to 3.00pm. The paucity of birds at Sheringham implies that the Holme/Titchwell birds moved close enough inshore to be observed, somewhere?? in between the two locations.

Yesterday, the very few Titchwell birds were heading west. The number of birds at both locations was reversed but with the same implication behind it i.e.the birds were moving close inshore somewhere?? between the two locations.

Can anybody say which direction the Sheringham birds were moving Saturday,Sunday, Monday?|:S|

On saturday there were fair no's past sheringham - 21 east morning then at salthouse in afternoon 13 west + a few loafing,
Sunday at Salthouse all birds heading east with a build up in the afternoon total about 40.
Monday all heading east - and despite rougher weather slightly further out, although some still pretty close - total about 110.
i think my theory was completely wrong! it seems the poms don't want to be heading east and the winds blows them that way, the stronger the wind the more you get heading east past sheringham however when wind drops and they get their bearings they then head west - is this because they are trying to go north and head out into atlantic via north of scotland. High no's at Holme because they all begin to log jam as they get to the Wash? Still alot of unanswered qus though.

Don't want to clog up norfolk thread with constant theories about poms might start a 'skuaforum' on the seawatching forum.

Pomskua and Rob's replies are interesting.

Can anybody say which direction the Sheringham birds were moving Saturday,Sunday, Monday?|:S|

Hi Dave
I dont know about the birds on Saturday or Monday but the ones first thing on Sunday morning at Sheringham were moving in both directions (18e, 14w) implying to my mind that when confronted with the broad expanse of the Norfolk coastline in front of them they were unsure as to which way to go. The majority(all?) of these birds were juvs with a basic instinct to keep heading south, which they would have been doing til they hit Norfolk. In the afternoon, at both Salthouse & Cromer all birds were moving east, maybe they had sorted it out by then?
Rob.

Yet more on Pom passage

Hi guys

It would be interesting to collate the counts of Poms around the coast and indeed the other side of the North Sea for the last few days.

I seem to remember there is a group studying sea bird movements in the North Sea (or at least there is one being set up at the moment) This well observed Pom passage might lead to a PhD for someone if they wanted!! :-O

Just to throw another complicating factor in the works:
On Saturday roughly half of our Titchwell birds were adults with spoons, whereas on Sunday adults with spoons were perhaps only 5% of the passage.

Did you guys see the same ratio of adults/juvs in Northeast Norfolk?
Is there evidence to suggest the adults/juvs preferred to go in a particular direction? (it's easy at Titchwell they all wanted to go west)

Finally, it's been blowing hard in the northern North Sea all week.
I doubt that the Poms have left the North Sea in a northward direction so will we get them back in the coming blow on Thursday night, Friday, Saturday ?? Or have they exited the North Sea to the south or even south overland ??

Dave

east Norfolk birds were almost entirely juveniles and all were heading south / south-east. Forgot the numbers but they are in the above thread somewhere. Goodness knows where they have ended up. Did they reorient and head north again but further out...?

I think Rob is making sense when he says that the juvs just want to keep heading south when they hit north norfolk, that accounts for the lack of adults over our way

Last edited:
Hi guy

Just to throw another complicating factor in the works:
On Saturday roughly half of our Titchwell birds were adults with spoons, whereas on Sunday adults with spoons were perhaps only 5% of the passage.

Did you guys see the same ratio of adults/juvs in Northeast Norfolk?
Is there evidence to suggest the adults/juvs preferred to go in a particular direction? (it's easy at Titchwell they all wanted to go west)

Finally, it's been blowing hard in the northern North Sea all week.
I doubt that the Poms have left the North Sea in a northward direction so will we get them back in the coming blow on Thursday night, Friday, Saturday ?? Or have they exited the North Sea to the south or even south overland ??

Dave

On saturday definitely more ads than on sun - about 1/4 ads, then tues had very few and none with full spoons. Maybe the ads are the first to realise where they are meant to be going and are leading the way. On saturday afternoon the first flock i saw heading back west were mixed ads/ intermediates/ juvs but flying in a way i have only seen once before - bunched tightly and flying low over the water and bombing it, the previous time i saw them like this i almost mistook them for whimbrels. There seemed to be alot more organisation in their flight path, than when they are just going through straggled out in 1s and 2s. -
in regard to ads in general - no clear pattern which way they were going.

Regarding the bottleneck in the wash during large passages in the past at least 1 large flocks has been observed flying directly up the Ouse inland. this week two on the pager going over choseley and my mate had another 3 going inland at titchwell on tuesday.

Also how many pale juvs did people see, according to Olson/ Larrson they only contitute 1% of all juvs, this tallies - i had 1!

think its going to blow tomorrow so will see what happens.

Having read all the above threads over the past few days regarding the Pom passage and still not being any the wiser. Where do people think the best place for sea watching will be tomorrow? The wind direction, to my logical human brain suggests that Sheringham/ Cromer would be ideal., but I am not a Pom so what do I know! Any suggestions greatfuly received.
Happy Birding
Alan

east Norfolk birds were almost entirely juveniles and all were heading south / south-east. Forgot the numbers but they are in the above thread somewhere. Goodness knows where they have ended up. Did they reorient and head north again but further out...?

I think Rob is making sense when he says that the juvs just want to keep heading south when they hit north norfolk, that accounts for the lack of adults over our way

From memory (read it a while back in BWP), but if it serves me correctly- skuas don't actually use the North Sea for migration, but disperse into it in for post-breeding feeding, before flying south. However, because they don't like the shallow waters of the English Channel they tend to do this by going back round the top of Scotland. That's why skuas are rare in the E, but common in the W in Spring and generally seen later in the W in Autumn and are rarely seen from the south coast. Because they prefer areas more than 5 km offshore, we tend to only see them after strong NW to NE winds

I think this year is unusual. Normally by this time, poms would be in the Bay of Biscay, or already in their tropical wintering grounds, with only a few, mostly juveniles lingering on. However, the words total ecoystem collapse spring to mind when thinking of Biscay. I went over on the ferry earlier this year and whether because overfishing, climate change or some odd ENSO/NAO thing, saw barely a seabird. Instead 1000s of things like Great Shearwater were recorded off the Western Isles and Sab Gulls and stuff like that were much more common in the North Sea than usual.

I suspect large numbers of poms have been forced to linger and disperse more widely because of the poor conditions in Biscay. I suspect the ones we see flying W on the North Coast or N on the East coast are going back to where they were blown off course from, which explains why most are going west. It may be that the ones flying east are just confused, but it may also be that they're actively foraging - just a bit closer inshore than usual. Although it's not the only mode of feeding, a certain proportion are kleptoparasatists so may just be heading east to harangue all those west-flying Kittiwakes also blown off-course or gobble-up all those moribund little auks.

Having read all the above threads over the past few days regarding the Pom passage and still not being any the wiser. Where do people think the best place for sea watching will be tomorrow? The wind direction, to my logical human brain suggests that Sheringham/ Cromer would be ideal., but I am not a Pom so what do I know! Any suggestions greatfuly received.
Happy Birding
Alan

Anywhere would do - I'd be surprised if, given enough time you don't see at least a dozen from anywhere along the coast. I'd try Cley North beach. Things come in quite close there (closer than Sheringham) and if it's crap weather you can park your car on top off the seawall and watch from your car.

Last edited:
Thanks Ilya,
Cley it is then. Is the car park attendant still springing from his booth at this time of year?

Happy birding
Alan

Yup - forgot, cos I'm a member. It's only a quid though. Keep your eyes out for Grey Phalaropes - bound to be a few flying past. Happy birding.....

A little late I know, but I did manage a poor shot of the Waxwing in the carpark at Titchwell on Sunday and a record shot of one of the Lapland Buntings at Salthouse. On a different note hasn't it been a glorious Autumn for tree colour. I thought I would share a piccy of some Beech Trees at Sandringham (at least they can't be shot!)
Sue

Attachments

• Lapland-Bunting-Salthouse-0.jpg
    Lapland-Bunting-Salthouse-0.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Waxwing-Titchwell-041107-03.jpg
    Waxwing-Titchwell-041107-03.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Sandringham-301007.jpg
    Sandringham-301007.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 94
Where to sea watch tomorrow

Thanks Ilya,
Cley it is then. Is the car park attendant still springing from his booth at this time of year?

Happy birding
Alan

Hi Alan

The problem tomorrow might be the weather i.e. it might be too windy (and maybe wet) I'd be heading for somewhere with shelter from the wind, maybe the big shelter at Sheringham (but get there early it's likely to be packed) or one of the shelters at Cromer. Failing these get tucked into the dunes somewhere out of the wind....and oh yes.... get your thermals on, take a piece of Karrimat to sit on and a roll of bog paper:eek!: ......to clean your salt-sprayed optics !! (purists would probably use a lens cloth!)

Some of the weather buoys in the North Sea currently recording 60mph gusts and they have had a 100mph gust today in Orkney.

Good luck to all tomorrow, save a few birds for me on Sunday.

Dave

More on Poms

Hi all,

Lots of interesting debate going on here. For what its worth my theory is that initially the Poms were pushed further down into the North Sea than usual by the prevailing weather conditions between Scotland/Iceland at the time & then on the Saturday birders were seeing predominately adults in west Norfolk reorientating back west/north & out of the North Sea again with juvs following them. On the Sunday (from personal obs), the birds were all juvs, with a basic urge to keep moving south that lacked the knowledge to head back out of the North Sea & just kept following the Norfolk coastline round. Most would have been confused by the sudden land mass in front of them & those that headed west (I saw an almost 50/50 split between east & west on Sunday morning) would have hit The Wash & then headed back east seeking an exit, a steady easterly movement in the afternoon suggests this. On the other side of the North Sea the larger numbers were seen from Monday, again suggesting to me that the juvs carried on south before hitting the Dutch/French coast. According to Olsen & Larsson (Skuas) juveniles usually predominate when there are large numbers of Poms in the North Sea & November is a classic month for them. As to observing them tomorrow i would rather see them well slightly further out at Sheringham than closer in at Cley whilst being battered by the wind & wiping salt spray off of my optics. Just personal choice. Rob.

More on Poms

Hi all,

Lots of interesting debate going on here. For what its worth my theory is that initially the Poms were pushed further down into the North Sea than usual by the prevailing weather conditions between Scotland/Iceland at the time & then on the Saturday birders were seeing predominately adults in west Norfolk reorientating back west/north & out of the North Sea again with juvs following them. On the Sunday (from personal obs), the birds were all juvs, with a basic urge to keep moving south that lacked the knowledge to head back out of the North Sea & just kept following the Norfolk coastline round. Most would have been confused by the sudden land mass in front of them & those that headed west (I saw an almost 50/50 split between east & west on Sunday morning) would have hit The Wash & then headed back east seeking an exit, a steady easterly movement in the afternoon suggests this. On the other side of the North Sea the larger numbers were seen from Monday, again suggesting to me that the juvs carried on south before hitting the Dutch/French coast. According to Olsen & Larsson (Skuas) juveniles usually predominate when there are large numbers of Poms in the North Sea & November is a classic month for them. As to observing them tomorrow i would rather see them well slightly further out at Sheringham than closer in at Cley whilst being battered by the wind & wiping salt spray off of my optics. Just personal choice. Rob.

As Will says, don't reckon anyone seriously will be seawatching tomorrow listening to the news on BBC1 now!:eek!::eek!::eek!: Storm surge coming down from North Sea 3 metres higher so far...... worst tomorrow morning, when tide peaks.

Last edited:
Storm Surge

I too have just seen the BBC news about a 3 metre storm surge down the North Sea.

Sea watching tomorrow is NOT a good idea.

As Will says, don't reckon anyone seriously will be seawatching tomorrow listening to the news on BBC1 now!:eek!::eek!::eek!: Storm surge coming down from North Sea 3 metres high so far...... worst tomorrow morning, when tide peaks.

This tidal surge caused by the intense low pressure and unfortunately coinciding with a very high tide appears to be hitting the headlines in the media with the PM chairing one of his cobra meetings according to the BBC/ITV today. Just checked the tide for the Severn Estuary on the Admiralty website and although it is fairly big it is not a massive tide here - only 9 metres whereas the big spring and autumn tides are over 11 metres. But I suppose a 3 metre surge on top would be 12 metres and that would be a really big one. Hope all will be well and everyone will be safe on the east coast in the next 48 hours or so. Might be very interesting seawatching!!

I too have just seen the BBC news about a 3 metre storm surge down the North Sea.

Sea watching tomorrow is NOT a good idea.

Depends where you do the seawatching from - the beach may not be good but there must be vantage points which are safe. It could be one of those brilliant days or one of those completely blank days - doubt if it will be an ordinary day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back