• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two From Zion Nat'l Park, Utah, USA (1 Viewer)

SheriDi

I'm going over some pictures I took in June of this year at Zion National Park and am stuck on 2. The first two pictures I initially id'd as warbling vireo but am having second thoughts. The last 3 I have tentatively id'd as Cordilleran Flycatcher but as always with flycatchers, I wouldn't bet a nickel on it!!

Attachments

• 40D-34441.jpg
    40D-34441.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 40D-34456.jpg
    40D-34456.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 40D-34479.jpg
    40D-34479.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 85
  • 40D-34482.jpg
    40D-34482.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 40D-34486.jpg
    40D-34486.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 70
I believe images 1 and 2 are Lucy's Warbler...as I believe I can see a slight rusty tint on the rump?

cheers

I believe images 1 and 2 are Lucy's Warbler...as I believe I can see a slight rusty tint on the rump?

cheers

What good eyes you have!! I checked a few other pictures I have and indeed there is a slight rusty tint on the rump!

Thank you!

Having re-scrutinised images 1 and 2 ...I believe I've detected the 'smidginest' of rust tint to the crown in both...perhaps (suggesting an adult female), a little easier if one tilts the monitor screen.

cheers

Hi Sheri,

I agree that the first bird is a Lucy's Warbler. The pale, fleshy gape flange, along with the loose plumage and buffy edgings to the wing coverts suggest a juvenile bird though.

The second bird is a wood-pewee (long primaries and shape of wing bars), and presumably a Western based on location.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back