• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sad way to start the day (1 Viewer)

Looking out at the yard I noticed that the birdhouse which had been occupied the day before with a nest of young Sparrows seemed strange. Grabbed my bins and discovered, to my horror, that some preditor had wrecked havoc there. Fluff and nesting materials were protruding all over from the hole and there were some feathers on the ground. I think that the little babies must have all been savagely taken and it greatly saddens me.

Of course, I know that this sort of thing happens all the time, but I had been touched by the constant care of the parents, watching them fly to and fro so many times each day. Even finally got to see a tiny open beak at one point, by the hole. So I'm feeling sad this morning...

However, just to remind me that life goes on and that there is always hope, I spotted a Scarlet Tanager in a nearby tree a little later, looking quite beautiful and singing away. This is an unusual sighting for my yard and did lift my spirits a bit.

Shalom,
Earthinsong

Sorry to hear of your experience of Mother Nature..:( It is a distressing feeliing BUT your siting of a Scarlet Tanager must have been spectacular! Ive yet to see one but have my fingers crossed for this year..Congrats on your siting!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back