• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Favourite Bird (1 Viewer)

kinnordyvolunteer

Darell Berthon
What is your favourite bird and why?

I have two. First is the european goldfinch, just because of its lovely colouring. My other favourite is the Osprey. Its fantastic to watch when its fishing or even when its diving in just to wash its self.

What is your favourite bird and why?

I have two. First is the european goldfinch, just because of its lovely colouring. My other favourite is the Osprey. Its fantastic to watch when its fishing or even when its diving in just to wash its self.

Could be one of any number of species, and if I chose one today it would be different tomorrow. Suffice to say that I would not pick a species on it's plumage features or song alone, and my choice would usually be a non-passerine. My choice would be a species that exudes atmosphere, either in the locations in which it breeds, or the dramatic way in which you see them on migration or in winter.

Examples in Britain might include most seabirds, especially Leaches Petrel and Manx Shearwater, Black-throated Diver, Pink-footed Goose, Purple Sandpiper, but also many more. In Europe flocks of wintering Common Cranes at Donana, Spain, or Montagu's Harriers over the plains of the Alentejo in Portugal, or Lesser Kestrels at a breeding colony. All of these could get a vote depending on my mood.

I'm not into birding for the asthetics of the individual bird, I'm into it for the atmosphere and the overall spectacle.

This happens on a monthly basis with me! For now, I get no bigger thrill than a hunting Kestrel. I think they are magnificent.
However, my heart was in my mouth when I saw my first Barn Owl this month. Then again, I also adore the common birds too!

mine is whichever one I haven't taken a picture of and at the moment it is a Pileated Woodpecker and all the others I have captured on camera for the first time

------------------------------

Gunter

Hi Every1 - new to the forum as just starting out so a big hello to everyone - My favourite birds 1st the GS Woodpecker which regularly visit my garden & bird station, 2nd is the Red Cardinal which I saw in February in Disney World Florida during a holiday which was totally unexpected but beautiful to see - amazing colour. And 2rd would be the Golden Oriole which I have never seen but would love to have the pleasure.

I would have to go with Short-eared Owl. The species is just so evocative of coastal marshes in winter (which I love) and also has those fantastic yellow eyes. Hen Harrier comes a very close second.

O man, tough question.
Always loved birds of prey, specially Ospreys, Eagles, and Owls. However, I can REALLY relate to Ravens. LOVE them! Intelligent, curious, resourceful, friendly, and occasionally loud and annoying. ;) Never get tired of their antics; daredevil flying, foraging, and that awesome, wild call. "CRAA-AARK!"

Attachments

• ravenavatar1.jpg
    ravenavatar1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I must confess to having a particular soft spot for some of the birds that tell you that Spring is here - like Wood Warbler, Redstart, Flycatchers, Hobbies etc

Apart from thinking all birds are fantastic, my fave is always the next species I'm hoping to find/see, as I love an id challenge and especially if it's a tick as well!

My favorite is American Crow, I love their call. They are extremely intelligent, and their social behaviors are fascinating. Plus they are very handsome birds! ;-)

I have always loved the Blackbird, one male sings his heart out every evening on my roof i can hear him as i am writing this.
To pick my all time favourite is difficult as i like them all, if i had to pick one it would probabley be the European Swift, i am very lucky to have a pair nesting in my roof for the second year running, close up they look wonderful and of course they are masters of flight. Beautiful birds.

Very hard to answer... I'd say Harpy Eagle..

But I also love albatrosses, petrels, antbirds, toucans and allies, parrots and macaws, other eagles, owls, cotingas, etc. They all have their special appeal.

Yes, excellent question and the one that non-birders seem to ask the most. My typical response is that although this varies, my favorite bird is probably the Sword-billed Hummingbird of the Andes. It looks like something from your wildest birding dreams! In flight, a bit like a bird lfying backwards or perhaps a jousting knight.

As others have said, mine changes daily too!

At the moment, my fascination seems to be with Pomarine Skuas - yet to see one, but apart from the obviouse "spoon tailed" plumage feature (which like Boat-tailed Grackle (amongst others - Racket-tailed Drongos anyone?), begs they question why & how? (in evolutionary terms)), they seem to represent "posh Arctics" to me. Not entirely sure why i'm so into them at the mo, i think i must have seen a good photo of oone recently!

However, ask me the same question next week, and it will be somthing completely different!

i love peregrine falcons because everything about them is built for speed and agility. they are fast and i love the mask. but i have never actually seen a wild one only prarie hawks.

Locally it's got to be the Robin in my garden. When I'm gardening he is always there within minutes, and I talk to 'him' for ages ( I know I'm a stupid old sod).

For beauty it was my first Pitta - Garnet Pitta at Taman Negara - the biggest wow factor.

On call then my first Golden Oriole. Didn't realise until then a bird in the UK could have such an exotic call.

In flight there can't be a much better sight than a Peregrine in full stoop to get the heart pumping.

All birds are good (well I admit to a downer on Wood Pigeons) just that some are more extraordinary than others.

John

i always love watching marsh harriers and i think seeing a short earred owl for the first time was amazing and i love watching waders especially in large numbers but for me it always comes back to swifts first for the anticipation of the first one arriving back and then for the sheer spectacle of watching our local colcny in the warm summer evenings as large groups perform acrobatics sometimes inches over your head and finally in late august when you always get the last one when you thought they had all gone and you can start looking forward to next year
cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back