• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So many berries (1 Viewer)

If there's food, they'll stay. Migrating is a hazard, if they don't have to, they won't.

Not necessarily true in this part of the world - Fieldfare is overwhelmingly a summer visitor (widespread and common), relatively small numbers winter each year (odd ones here and there, small flocks). Overall, I can't say there seems to be appreciable differences in the numbers when there are good berry crops versus poor berry crops. This said, if you find berries in winter, it often concentrates the remaining Fieldfares, so will certainly provide you with overwintering birds, just don't think it actually affects overall total numbers wintering very much.

Even if good, the berry crop is unlikely to be sufficient to last all winter and when snow coats the ground and sub-zero freezes all, there is precious little other food source to support large numbers, so would seem prudent that most migrate beforehand anyhow.

Not necessarily true in this part of the world - Fieldfare is overwhelmingly a summer visitor (widespread and common), relatively small numbers winter each year (odd ones here and there, small flocks). Overall, I can't say there seems to be appreciable differences in the numbers when there are good berry crops versus poor berry crops. This said, if you find berries in winter, it often concentrates the remaining Fieldfares, so will certainly provide you with overwintering birds, just don't think it actually affects overall total numbers wintering very much.

Even if good, the berry crop is unlikely to be sufficient to last all winter and when snow coats the ground and sub-zero freezes all, there is precious little other food source to support large numbers, so would seem prudent that most migrate beforehand anyhow.

I've only ever seen winter Fieldfares once and it was a big berry year, a couple of flocks of c3o birds were around us. Compared to Lithuania (everywhere!), Russia is enormous so presumably far more trees = far more berries to support more birds?

In fact on one occasion when we had a photographer friend with us, I called Fieldfaes out and he corrected me saying Waxwings 'no Fiieldfares in winter' he told me but he's a City boy and we did see them again to his satisfaction and surprise.

A

Last edited:
Compared to Lithuania (everywhere!), Russia is enormous so presumably far more trees = far more berries to support more birds?

Yep, but unlike Lithuania, you can't see all of it in one go 3:); the number of birds per area of land you can actually see is likely to be quite similar :t:

Yep, but unlike Lithuania, you can't see all of it in one go 3:); the number of birds per area of land you can actually see is likely to be quite similar :t:

Not neccessarily, much of our forest is Pine / Birch and swamp so just find a few Rowans and you're in.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back