• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bulgaria in late June...help please! (1 Viewer)

Steve Dunn

I'll be heading to Bulgaria in late June (20th onwards for one week) and will be stopping in the centre of the country near to Dryanovo. I've never been to Bulgaria before (infact I aint been abroad for almost 17 years) and am struggling to find some relevent info for the area i'll be based at. Due to it being a family holiday birding time will be ltd so trips to the coast and southern mountains is unlikely, tho not out of question yet. Does anyone have any information on what sp. are likely to be found in the immeadiate vicinity of Dryanovo at the end of June and/or any good birding sites nearby.

Thanks in advance

Steve

I'll be heading to Bulgaria in late June (20th onwards for one week) and will be stopping in the centre of the country near to Dryanovo. I've never been to Bulgaria before (infact I aint been abroad for almost 17 years) and am struggling to find some relevent info for the area i'll be based at. Due to it being a family holiday birding time will be ltd so trips to the coast and southern mountains is unlikely, tho not out of question yet. Does anyone have any information on what sp. are likely to be found in the immeadiate vicinity of Dryanovo at the end of June and/or any good birding sites nearby.

Thanks in advance

Steve

I have not seen any reports for that area, why dont you contact Neophron www.neophron.com/ (Bulgarian version of RSPB) and if you have specific species in mind they may help. They can also provide a guide. I went to Black Sea Coast and travelled into the mountains with their guide from there, when I went to Bulgaria in June 06 (or was it 07?). Find it under Vacational Trip Reports, though sorry it will not help with the area of Bulgaria you are in.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance

Steve

On the southside of the mountains (s of Gabrovo) very nice for Isabelline Wheatear in the souslik colonies and Long-legged Buzzard (for example, between Karlovo and Kazanlak on the A772, so not that far from you and things might be similar closer to where you are).

Thanks Ed.
The area surrounding our place is quite arable - What species would I expect to find in such habitat in the centre of the country?

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Ed.
The area surrounding our place is quite arable - What species would I expect to find in such habitat in the centre of the country?

Cheers
Steve

Definitely beyond my patchy knowledge- I've only whizzed through that area a few times in winter. But if it is maize and poplars then I should imagine Hooded Crow, Golden Oriole, Red-backed Shrike, Hoopoe, Corn Bunting for starters.

Hi Steve!

There is plenty of scope in the region around Dryanovo for both interesting birdwatching and sightseeing. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Just a few kilometres from Dryanovo is the Dryanovski Monastery and BachoKiroCave. Here you will find Alpine Swift, Crag Martin, Red-rumped Swallow, Dipper, Grey Wagtail, Nightingale, Marsh Tit, Golden Oriole, Hoopoe.

2. If you drive south via Gabrovo, you can then visit the Etara ethnographic complex. It has a very interesting collection of traditonal old style buildings which now house the workshops of various craftsmen and artisans. Its a very interesting place to visit. A few kilometres further up the road or by a steep trail through some lovely hornbeam woods is the Sokolski Monastery (actually a nunnery) which is very atmospheric and well worth a look. The main road continues climbing south up to the ShipkaPass.This is another good tourist site with interesting historically associations and great views. Whilst visiting these sites you should be able to find a good mix of species including:
Black Woodpecker, Grey-headed Woodpecker, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Middle Spotted Woodpecker, Woodlark, Pallid Swift, Raven, Red-backed Shrike, Red-rumped Swallow, Rock Bunting, Sombre Tit, Spotted Flycatcher, Tree Sparrow, Hawfinch and Dipper. There is a record of a Scarlet Rosefinch from here, although haven’t been able to track it down myself.

3. If you make your way north from Dryanovo you come to Veliko Tarnovo, a very picturesque town with the Tsarevets Fortress, many churches and some picturesque streets and vernacular architecture. Directly north of the town there are also two lovely monasteries to visit, the Preobrazhenski Monastery and Sveta Troitsa Monastery. Both Veliko Tarnovo itself and the monasteries are ringed by some rugged cliffs and escarpments, and these harbour a great mix of birds. Whilst exploring these sites you should be able to find: Black Stork, Egyptian Vulture and Long-legged Buzzard. There are Eagle Owls here too, as well as Alpine Swift, Crag Martin and Red-rumped Swallows. Wooded areas hold Syrian Woodpecker, whilst more scrubby open areas harbour Sombre Tit, Barred Warbler and Hoopoe.

Last edited:
Hi Steve!

There is plenty of scope in the region around Dryanovo for both interesting birdwatching and sightseeing. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Just a few kilometres from Dryanovo is the Dryanovski Monastery and BachoKiroCave. Here you will find Alpine Swift, Crag Martin, Red-rumped Swallow, Dipper, Grey Wagtail, Nightingale, Marsh Tit, Golden Oriole, Hoopoe.

2. If you drive south via Gabrovo, you can then visit the Etara ethnographic complex. It has a very interesting collection of traditonal old style buildings which now house the workshops of various craftsmen and artisans. Its a very interesting place to visit. A few kilometres further up the road or by a steep trail through some lovely hornbeam woods is the Sokolski Monastery (actually a nunnery) which is very atmospheric and well worth a look. The main road continues climbing south up to the ShipkaPass.This is another good tourist site with interesting historically associations and great views. Whilst visiting these sites you should be able to find a good mix of species including:
Black Woodpecker, Grey-headed Woodpecker, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Middle Spotted Woodpecker, Woodlark, Pallid Swift, Raven, Red-backed Shrike, Red-rumped Swallow, Rock Bunting, Sombre Tit, Spotted Flycatcher, Tree Sparrow, Hawfinch and Dipper. There is a record of a Scarlet Rosefinch from here, although haven’t been able to track it down myself.

3. If you make your way north from Dryanovo you come to Veliko Tarnovo, a very picturesque town with the Tsarevets Fortress, many churches and some picturesque streets and vernacular architecture. Directly north of the town there are also two lovely monasteries to visit, the Preobrazhenski Monastery and Sveta Troitsa Monastery. Both Veliko Tarnovo itself and the monasteries are ringed by some rugged cliffs and escarpments, and these harbour a great mix of birds. Whilst exploring these sites you should be able to find: Black Stork, Egyptian Vulture and Long-legged Buzzard. There are Eagle Owls here too, as well as Alpine Swift, Crag Martin and Red-rumped Swallows. Wooded areas hold Syrian Woodpecker, whilst more scrubby open areas harbour Sombre Tit, Barred Warbler and Hoopoe.

Hi
Thanks alot for that information! Very much appreciated! Our place is actually close to Veliko Tarnovo at the new Gesha-View complex so I should be very centrally based to the areas you've described!
Again, thank you.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back