• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Desert Sparrow (1 Viewer)

firefox32

Hi.

My friend is in Tunisia right now. Today he saw some Desert sparrows near to Tozeur. How common are they in this area???

Thanks.

Fox.

Not, according to this report... http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/tunisia/tunisia-11/Tunisia-08.htm

Major dip: Desert Sparrow (Passer simplex). A few birds survive at the fort close to Ksar Ghilane (see Philippe Dubois’ trip report) but I could not go to the fort as it was too late for dune crossing either on foot or by dromedaire. This is probably the last reliable spot in Tunisia for Desert Sparrow as this bird has not been seen or reported since long time at the other traditional spots like El Hessai and Bir Soltane (here, last observation 2005).

Hi.

Just a bit more info, could be useful for people looking for this species. They were seen around the site where Star Wars was filmed, near to where all the camels are. Whether this is a reconised site for them, I'm not sure.

Regards.
Fox.

Hi.

Just a bit more info, could be useful for people looking for this species. They were seen around the site where Star Wars was filmed, near to where all the camels are. Whether this is a reconised site for them, I'm not sure.

Regards.
Fox.

Several sites in Tunisia were used in the filming of Star Wars. A grid ref, or failing that the name of the town or village with some N,S,E,W tips would be needed by anyone else looking for them, I expect.

Graham

My friend is in Tunisia right now. Today he saw some Desert sparrows near to Tozeur. How common are they in this area???

According to the rather small map in the book Birds of Tunisia (Isenmann et al. 2005), Tozeur is located to the north from the known species' range. However, the map could not be that accurate especially in that remote desert.

We have here in BF a Tunisian member that can say something about this.
http://www.birdforum.net/member.php?u=89829

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back