• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PRIME HD is available for pre-order (1 Viewer)

ZEN-RAY

Dear BirdForum Members,

The long-awaited ZEN-RAY PRIME HD (tm) binoculars is just around corner. Packed with features that can only be found in the best of the best among the binoculars Hall of Fame, PRIME HD leaves little to second guess what you see. An edge-to-edge crisp, brilliant, flawless image is delivered thanks to one of the most sophisticated eyepiece design. Rugged and lightweight magnesium chassis that secures the optical core inside is enhanced with sleek, balanced body design. These high end binoculars are constructed with complementary ED lenses and state of the art dielectric coating for perfection in color fidelity and contrast.

Available in both 8x42 and 10x42

Optics

• 5 group/6 elements eyepiece featuring doublet field flattener lenses
  • Extra Low Dispersion (ED) glass for chromatic abberation free image
  • Second Generation VividBriteTM Ultra High Reflectivity (UHR) Dielectic Prism Coating for maximal brightness
  • CrystalViewTM water/oil repellent coating
  • Fully broadband multi-coated optics allows 99.7% light transmission at each glass/air interface
  • Phase-correction with BAK-4 roof prisms
  • Large 42mm objective lenses for crisp, bright imaging.

Structural
  • SpeedDial2TM focus wheel offers responsive focus rate
  • Tripod adapter sockets to offer balanced support for tripod users
  • New: Enhanced eyecup design for eye glasses wearers
  • Heavy-duty, 100% waterproof /f ogproof construction: Argon charged
  • Metal alloy enforced multi-stage Twist-up rubber eyecups
  • Diopter adjustment to fine tuning focus
  • Extra large center focus knob for smooth and precise focus
  • Ergonomic shape for stress free use
  • Rubber armor absorbs shock

Lifetime No Fault Warranty

Both models are available for customers to pre-order for May 25th delivery. Now is the best time to reserve this most advanced observation device with special that's only available to Pre-order customers (use coupon code PRIME to save 25%). Accessories include premium soft carrying case, cushioned deluxe neckstrap.

**The number of units for Pre-order is very limited at the special price. no raincheck**

To Order, Please Visit Here

Please PM me if you have any question.

Charles

Thanks for the info! :eat:

20mm of eye relief for the 10x? Geez, that's a lot! If the eye-cups don't cut down much on the usable amount (guessing they don't) that's a real winner for people with glasses!

Charles .... Congratulations on getting this new model to market! I bet it took a lot of work to get to this point.

Couple of general interest questions:

1) What is the Zen-Ray satisfaction guaranteed policy on the pre-order? The general policy on the Zen-Ray web page states "If you are not totally satisfied with your purchase, you may return it to us for a full refund* (less shipping charges) within 30 days** of placing the order".

Shipment is estimated to be around May 25th. That is well past 30 days if the pre-order is placed now. Additionally, the web site policy is somewhat unusual as most vendor policies I have read state a policy of x number of days after delivery. Also, I have no idea what the "**" means in the above quoted sentence. Since the buyer has little control over the shipping process and possible delays, I would feel much more comfortable if the "from date of placing order" clause was revised to "from date of delivery of order".

2) Assuming payment by credit card, when will the card be charged? (Time of order or time of shipment?)

As an FYI, the Warranty Information" web page does not yet document the 'no fault' clause that applies to the Prime HD model.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Last edited:
BruceH,

Excellent questions. The new pre-order related update will be provided this week once the website is updated.

For pre-ordered binoculars, the 30-day return policy is extended from date when the binoculars is delivered. So you are well covered. Yes, the credit card will be charged upon receiving the order. The no-fault policy is as simple as its name implies: we will take care of you, the customers, should anything happen to the binoculars. The warranty information has been routed for publishing. Should be up some time next week.

Thanks

Charles

Would like to relate my initial experience with a Zen Ray return. My first ever binocular purchase was the Zen-Ray ED3 8x43. Although I loved the optics, at the time I could not get used to using them without experiencing blackouts. Zen-Ray suggested the technique I now use of resting them on my eyebrows or ordering the ED2 model. It was awkward at the time to use that technique, so I ended up ordering the ED2's. I misread the return policy and assumed it was 30 days after delivery date, so I kept the ED3's to compare thinking I had enough time. When I did get to compare them I was more comfortable with the ED2's. When I went to return them, I then correctly read the return policy and found that I was several days past the 30 days already. I wrote Zen-Ray and explained the situation and they were gracious enough to allow me to return them for a refund anyway.

Another experience I had with their customer service was just recently. My ED2's were out of collimation and when I notified them they told me to send them in for service. When I sent them in for service, I made what I thought was a long shot request. I asked if I could buy a 7x43 ED3 at a reduced price, instead of having my ED2's serviced and returned. To my amazement they were willing to fill this request and I am now a very very happy owner of the 7x43 ED3's. These are great binoculars, which I plan on adding my experiences to the 7x43 thread shortly.

So far I have been more than happy with my dealings with Zen-Ray and look forward to the Primes.

Charles, just to be clear.....you're going to charge my credit card and have my money a full 60+ days before delivery? Really?

If you read the thread at all before you posted, you'd read that it may not be at the special pre-order price.....meaning probably more money. That's why the pre-order is appealing.

Any time you place an order they are going to charge your card plain and simple that way when they ship out there is no issue with the funds not being there to complete your order.

I am excited to see how everyone likes them I just bought the Alpen rainer 10x42 HD Ed for $650 shipped and insured the $560 price is much better but are the optics?

Would like to relate my initial experience with a Zen Ray return. My first ever binocular purchase was the Zen-Ray ED3 8x43. Although I loved the optics, at the time I could not get used to using them without experiencing blackouts. Zen-Ray suggested the technique I now use of resting them on my eyebrows or ordering the ED2 model. It was awkward at the time to use that technique, so I ended up ordering the ED2's. I misread the return policy and assumed it was 30 days after delivery date, so I kept the ED3's to compare thinking I had enough time. When I did get to compare them I was more comfortable with the ED2's. When I went to return them, I then correctly read the return policy and found that I was several days past the 30 days already. I wrote Zen-Ray and explained the situation and they were gracious enough to allow me to return them for a refund anyway.

Another experience I had with their customer service was just recently. My ED2's were out of collimation and when I notified them they told me to send them in for service. When I sent them in for service, I made what I thought was a long shot request. I asked if I could buy a 7x43 ED3 at a reduced price, instead of having my ED2's serviced and returned. To my amazement they were willing to fill this request and I am now a very very happy owner of the 7x43 ED3's. These are great binoculars, which I plan on adding my experiences to the 7x43 thread shortly.

So far I have been more than happy with my dealings with Zen-Ray and look forward to the Primes.

I will second the above and add another voice to the chorus of those extremely satisfied with Charles and Zen-Ray's service. I recently had an "issue" with my 8x43 ED3's (and by issue I meant that I dropped them!) and Charles was incredibly gracious and made sure I was taken care of.

Rest assured, this is not a company that will stick to the "letter of the law" at the expense of their customers. Charles knows how to provide customer service and always goes above and beyond :t:

I think he said it was just a bit slower than the ED3. I forget the exact revolution number but it was somewhere between the ED2 and ED3.

I've got some ordered also. My guess is that the gap between the ridiculously overpriced alphas and the premium featured, value packed non-alphas will be narrowed even further by the release of this glass. I'm expecting great things myself.

Hi Charles,

The 30 days return policy calculated from the date of delivery of course better than from the ordering date, but I am living in Thailand. Any special arrangement for overseas orders ?

Andy

Zen-Ray Pre-Order Promotion Ending?

Just a heads up that the Zen-Ray website as of this morning is still showing the "pre-order" 25% discount code on the Prime HD to expire today (4-15-2012).

It is anybody's guess what will happen after today. In my relatively short time of following Zen-Ray, their promotion dates seem to slide or the prices get changed around. I doubt that the price will be any lower for a while, if ever (excluding future demos, closeout). I think I would be smart to leave any other speculation to those who have followed Zen-Ray a lot longer than I have.

I'd bet we are seeing the pre orders are getting to the point where they equal the size of the initial production order, nothing more. If Zen Ray follows past history, I'd also bet we'll see a more or less stable price of $650 or so.

Since I'm betting here, I will say that within a year or so we'll see a noticeable bump up in prices of Chinese optics.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back