Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Tangara lavinia dalmasi

Old Monday 2nd April 2012, 01:45   #1
Susan Manchester

Tangara lavinia dalmasi

I have seen Count de Dalmas' name listed in a couple places with the initials T. S. P., as in T. S. P. Raymond, Comte de Dalmas. Are these initials part of his name?
Old Tuesday 3rd April 2012, 07:03   #2
mb1848

"Are these initials part of his name?"
I do not know what T.S. P. means but I think I can prove it is not part of his name. The only French commonly used salutation equaling T.S.P. is Tres-Saint Pere which means Most Holy Father which is used for the Pope of Rome or the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople. Unlikely to be applied to Compte de Dalmas. The T.S.P. is not a title because he continued to use le Compte and the "de' in his name. Signs of nobility. When de Dalmas was young he took his yacht around the world and the T.S.P. was not used to describe him then. So I believe the T.S.P. is an honorific, that is something he earned by his actions during his life. Honorifics can often be from being a judge or a member of a legislature. Le Compte Raymond de Dalmas early in his life did some ornithology work but later became an expert in spiders. This T.S.P. is probably not just a membership in a scientific society, because those initials usually follow the name not proceed the name. See all the ornithologists like Gould etc where after their name is F.R.S. etc. On the continent were chivalry orders which honored scientists, artists poets etc. I think that is what the T.S.P. is from but I do not know what it is. But it is certainly not part of his name. I hope that helps.

Last edited by mb1848 : Tuesday 3rd April 2012 at 07:17.
Old Wednesday 4th April 2012, 00:58   #3
Susan Manchester

Thank you so much, mb1848! That definitely helps!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: