Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Common Gull - origin of name

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 13th April 2012, 14:46   #1
Stoggler
Getting to grips with young gulls

Common Gull - origin of name

Something I was wondering the other day was how did the Common Gull get its name? Although far from rare, compared to other gulls like the Black-headed and Herring they are not what I would call common either (at least in my corner of the country). Was there a time in the past decades/centuries when they were significantly more common than now?
Old Friday 13th April 2012, 15:28   #2
fugl
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoggler View Post
Something I was wondering the other day was how did the Common Gull get its name? Although far from rare, compared to other gulls like the Black-headed and Herring they are not what I would call common either (at least in my corner of the country). Was there a time in the past decades/centuries when they were significantly more common than now?
What I've always heard is that "Common Gull" was so named because, unlike most other British gulls, it was "common" inland as well as near the sea. Dto for "Common Sandpiper". Interestingly enough, even the Common Gull's latin name --Larus canus--stresses the ordinariness of this species, since canus means "gray" & Common Gulls are no more or less gray than most of the other gulls in their range.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Friday 13th April 2012 at 15:34.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 13th April 2012, 15:31   #3
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening
BF Supporter 2019

It's also said that 'common' refers to common land i.e. Common Gull was the gull of the common, which seems quite apt to me.

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 13th April 2012, 15:31   #4
dantheman
Bah humbug

It's to do with them occurring inland on 'common' pasture land (as in the Wombles of Wimbledon Common etc).

Fair question, has been discussed on here before.
Old Friday 13th April 2012, 16:02   #5
Steve Dudley
aka The Toadsnatcher

Andrew is spot on, it was named Common after its habit of nesting on common land, usually the poor, damp grazing land in a district which the pheasant farmers were forced to graze their livestock on. So it was 'the gull of the common'.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 13th April 2012, 16:37   #6
fugl
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dudley View Post
Andrew is spot on, it was named Common after its habit of nesting on common land, usually the poor, damp grazing land in a district which the pheasant farmers were forced to graze their livestock on. So it was 'the gull of the common'.
Do you have a reference for this opinion by any chance, or is it just something you've read somewhere? I just did a (very) quick google but didn't come up with anything.

Folk etymology has many pitfalls!

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 13th April 2012, 16:45   #7
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
Do you have a reference for this opinion by any chance, or is it just something you've read somewhere? I just did a (very) quick google but didn't come up with anything.

I also heard this origin quoted many times, can't say whether its myth or truth though

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 13th April 2012, 16:46   #8
ed keeble

Quote:

common land- how intriguing: never knew that

a quick google suggests reference here:

Okill, Dave (2004) English names for Western Palearctic birds British Birds 97(7): 348-9

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 13th April 2012, 16:47   #9
Richard Klim
-------------------------

FWIW, Francesca Greenoak 1997 (British Birds: their Folklore, Names and Literature) concludes "that the word 'common' refers not to the frequency of occurrence but is used in the Middle English sense of having no distinguishing features".
Old Friday 13th April 2012, 17:28   #10
Rob Smallwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Klim View Post
FWIW, Francesca Greenoak 1997 (British Birds: their Folklore, Names and Literature) concludes "that the word 'common' refers not to the frequency of occurrence but is used in the Middle English sense of having no distinguishing features".
Typical gull then!

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 13th April 2012, 17:36   #11
fugl
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Klim View Post
Interesting. Applies also to Common Sandpiper does it, in her opinion?

Sounds like a worthwhile book; as soon as I sign off here I'll start looking for a copy.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Friday 13th April 2012 at 17:39.

Old Friday 13th April 2012, 17:44   #12
JTweedie

Quote:
Interesting. Applies also to Common Sandpiper does it, in her opinion?

Sounds like a worthwhile book; as soon as I sign off here I'll start looking for a copy.
There are new and second hand copies on amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/British-Birds-...4&sr=8-1-fkmr1 but it might work out cheaper to import a new one from the UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Bird...tt_at_ep_dpt_1
Old Friday 13th April 2012, 17:54   #13
fugl
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTweedie View Post
There are new and second hand copies on amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/British-Birds-...4&sr=8-1-fkmr1 but it might work out cheaper to import a new one from the UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Bird...tt_at_ep_dpt_1
Thanks. Just ordered a "tight, clean" used copy from a bookstore in Michigan for the princely sum of $5.90 (inclusive of shipping!).

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Old Friday 13th April 2012, 17:57   #14
JTweedie

Quote:
Thanks. Just ordered a "tight, clean" used copy from a bookstore in Michigan for the princely sum of $5.90 (inclusive of shipping!).
You can't beat that!
Old Friday 13th April 2012, 18:17   #15
Richard Klim
-------------------------

Quote:
Applies also to Common Sandpiper does it, in her opinion?
Greenoak: "Sandpiper, the standard name for this bird, was originally (according to Willughby, 1678) a Yorkshire local name".

In this case, the prefix 'Common' is presumably just the usual modern qualifier designed to avoid ambiguity with 'other' sandpipers.

Last edited by Richard Klim : Friday 13th April 2012 at 18:58.
Old Saturday 14th April 2012, 07:15   #16
Stoggler
Getting to grips with young gulls

Thanks everyone. Didn't occur to me that the Common in the name might not be to do with their numbers!
Old Saturday 14th April 2012, 11:59   #17
Alastair Rae
London birder

According to my Oxford Dictionary of British Bird Names, Thomas Pennant named it Common Gull in 1768 because it was the most numerous of its genus. Also, I recall reading (sorry, no cite) that Black-headed Gull didn't used to be so common in England and Victorians went down to the Thames to watch them when they where still a novelty.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 14th April 2012, 15:49   #18
fugl
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Rae View Post
According to my Oxford Dictionary of British Bird Names, Thomas Pennant named it Common Gull in 1768 because it was the most numerous of its genus. Also, I recall reading (sorry, no cite) that Black-headed Gull didn't used to be so common in England and Victorians went down to the Thames to watch them when they where still a novelty.
I don't have a copy of Pennant, but here's what I take to be the relevant passage (as quoted in the OED: gull, n.1, common gull).

"1766 {Pennant Zool. (1768) II. 424. Common Gull. This is the most numerous of the genus. It breeds on the ledges of the cliffs that impend over the sea."

I don't know if this moves us much forward, since the extract simply juxtaposes "Common Gull" & "most numerous" without making an explicit link between them, and thus leaves the door open to the various other "origin theories" scouted in the thread: "inland gull", "gull of the commons", "nondescript gull". Very slippery creatures, words!

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Old Saturday 14th April 2012, 19:31   #19
Xenospiza
Undescribed

Quote:
"1766 {Pennant Zool. (1768) II. 424. Common Gull. This is the most numerous of the genus. It breeds on the ledges of the cliffs that impend over the sea."
That sounds more like Kittiwake to me!
Old Saturday 14th April 2012, 19:44   #20
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments
BF Supporter 2019

Before all this started I'd been thinking that 'Common' meant they were distributed widely over many countries and even continents. In this case Common (Mew) Gull is found in North America, Europe and Asia.

Having looked at some of the 'common' birds and their habitats, some are found in forests, which doesn't really sound like common land to me, at least as we know it today.

D

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie
1706 - 94

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 14th April 2012, 19:56   #21
Tideliner

I have wondered if the term "common " gull stems from a long time ago when when winter plumaged black headed gulls were not seperated from other small gulls inland. But at least common gull is a reconisable name unlike one local bird report that insists in calling them Mew gulls.
Old Saturday 14th April 2012, 21:12   #22
fugl
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideliner View Post
I have wondered if the term "common " gull stems from a long time ago when when winter plumaged black headed gulls were not seperated from other small gulls inland. But at least common gull is a reconisable name unlike one local bird report that insists in calling them Mew gulls.
And, since "mew" is simply an old word for "gull", "Mew Gull" means "Gull Gull", yet another testimony to the "ordinariness" with which the species has been regarded.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Old Saturday 14th April 2012, 21:58   #23
JTweedie

Quote:
And, since "mew" is simply an old word for "gull", "Mew Gull" means "Gull Gull", yet another testimony to the "ordinariness" with which the species has been regarded.
Sounds a bit like Cygnus cygnus - i.e. swan swan.
Old Sunday 15th April 2012, 07:39   #24
redeyedvideo
It's like water off a duck's back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dudley View Post
Pheasant farmers? Not a new practice then?

Quote:
I believe the book was previously titled All the Birds of the Air which is available on http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=all for £2.52 delivered! It's a great read from what I remember.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 15th April 2012, 11:20   #25
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoggler View Post
Since no-one else has attempted to answer the other aspect of Stoggler's question:
"gull (1)
Shore bird, early 15c. (in a cook book), probably from Brythonic Celtic, cf. Welsh gwylan "gull," Cornish guilan, Breton goelann; all from O.Celt. *voilenno. Replaced O.E. mæw (see mew (n.1)).
gull (2)
Cant term for "dupe, sucker, credulous person," 1590s, of uncertain origin. Perhaps from verb meaning "to dupe, cheat" (1540s), earlier "to swallow" (1520s), ultimately from gull "throat, gullet" (early 15c.). Or it is perhaps from (or influenced by) the bird? In either case with a sense of "someone who will swallow anything thrown at him." Another possibility is M.E. dial. gull "newly hatched bird" (late 14c.), which is perhaps from O.N. golr "yellow," from the hue of its down."

MJB
With grateful acknowledgement to Online Etymology Dictionary, a very useful source
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: