• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some "unseen" descriptions … now seen! (1 Viewer)

nigelli/nigellii

A quick return to "Mr. Nigell" (i.e. Macneil) …

In today's HBW Alive Key it is stated:
nigelli
Med. L. Nigellus Nigel or Neil < Norman French Nihel < Irish Gaelic Niall (the origin of the patronym MacNeil); “Macneil’s Lophophorus ...lately sent from Persia by Dr Macneil, the enlightened physician to the English Embassy at that court ...It has been named Loph. Nigelli, in remembrance of the individual by whom it was first transmitted to Europe” (Jardine & Selby 1829) (syn. Tetraogallus caspius).

nigellii
Male eponym; dedication not given; the "Nigell's Pheasant Grouse" of J. Gray 1832 ... (see also nigelli) (syn. Tetraogallus himalayensis).
Fair enough, however see letter from Gray here, and earlier posts (and their links); No. 2, 15, 16 and 47.

Isn´t it fair to say that both nigelli and nigellii (simply different spellings) does commemorate Dr. Macneill [this said irrespective of being synonyms of either (Lophophorus) Tetraogallus species] … !?

Thanks, Laurent!

= Parus iouschistos "Hodgson" Blyth 1844 (Zoonomen says 1845) [OD]; now in Aegithalos: [pictures]
This was apparently originally published by Hodgson as a nomen nudum, with spelling jouschistos [Richmond card], but I can't find this publication online right now.
I sure though it sounded familiar! So it was simply an "unseen" spelling. I guess I forgot to check the various j/i vs sh/sch versions ...;)

Well, good, one less to worry about!

And ... if you (or anybody else!) do find that extremely rare jornal, No. 3 of "Gray's Zoological Miscellany" and the Catalogue of Nipalese Birds (by Hodgson), please let us know. That No. 3 (as well other issues) includes some other still unexplained scientific names!

nigelli/nigellii

Isn´t it fair to say that both nigelli and nigellii (simply different spellings) does commemorate Dr. Macneill [this said irrespective of being synonyms of either (Lophophorus) Tetraogallus species] … !?
JE Gray (as other authors, I believe) sometimes added his name behind binomina where he was not the the author of the specific name (but, for example, the author of the generic name only). Eg.: "Chrysolophus pictus (Gray)": Gray was the author of Chrysolophus, which is available from this plate, but Phasianus pictus is unquestionably of Linnaeus 1758 [OD]. So it is conceivable that, in "Tetraogallus Nigellii Gray", Gray was the author of Tetraogallus (available from this plate) only, and Nigellii but a subsequent (and incorrect) use of Jardine & Selby's specific name.

(Note that this could affect the identity of the type species of the genus.)

PS - Note that GR Gray's letter is a bit misleading, though, in that it first discusses plate 76 of J&S's Illustrations of ornithology, which shows a female bird described as Lophophorus Nigelli, than plate 141 of the same work [if anyone finds the 3rd volume of it online, please let us know as well ;)], which shows a Himalayan bird that the authors believed to be a male of the same species, and then finally JE Gray's plate, which GR Gray says is the same taxon as J&S's second bird, and goes by the same name as both. This incorrectly suggests that Jardine & Selby themselves "extended" the scope of their Nigelli to include the Himalayan bird, and Gray just followed. But, in fact, plate 141 of Illustrations of ornithology was published in 1835, 3 years after Gray's plate, thus the one who first applied "Nigelli(i)" to a Himalayan bird must have been Gray; it is J&S who were the followers.

Last edited:
nigelli/nigellii …

Thanks Laurent for yet another excellent explanation ... on this mess!

Just one last entry on this one: Now regarding the commemoration itself (of both nigelli and nigellii): How about: the Scottish doctor (apparently surgeon) and diplomat (Sir) John McNeill (1795–1883) … both the correct title and whereabouts, in Bushire, linked to the Persian Court, etc. etc. … !?

See the following links (for example): here, here, here and here.

Well, that’s all, that´s as far as I understand it and I´ll go no further … I hope you all got a bit clearer view on this one than I´ve managed. I´m done.

Nigell's Pheasant-Grouse (whatever it later turned out to be) … over and out!

PS. And Good luck James, concluding and sorting it out! ;)

myrtae
● … in the hard-to-place subspecies Puffinus newelli/auricularis/assimilis myrtae BOURNE 1959 as "Puffinus assimilis myrtae" (OD, here).
I think Dr. Bourne is still alive someone should ask him. I am guessing someone named Myrtle, I believe his wife at this time was Sheila. Or would Myrtle be myrtlae?
See also http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=301386 .

I assume duivenbodei is for the same C. W. van Renesse van Duivenbode as discussed here. How did I come to this conclusion?

Here in the Menegeaux article is written:

Les dimensions sont les mêmes que celle de P. raggiana. J'ajouterai que M. Renesse de Duivenbode a fait don au Muséum, en 1910, d'un Parotia duivenbodei Roth. (V. Ibis, 1911 p. 355) qui provenait de l'hinterland d'Yaour, dans la baie Geelvink, Nouvelle Guinée hollandaise.

In context with joanae I came accross this HBW Alive entry. First I think it is a typo and Neuhaüser should be Neuhäuser. Second I think correct would be Dr Gabriele Scott né Neuhäuser. I found that in
A Time for a Museum: The History of the Queensland Museum, 1862-1986

Could joanae be a latinzed Gabriele as she was the collector?

As well the following on her bibliography seems to be interessting.

Attachments

• GS.jpg
    GS.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 51
  • GS2.jpg
    GS2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Could joanae be a latinzed Gabriele as she was the collector?
No, Gabriel is a Hebrew name that in Latin has always been used (ia., for the archangel) with an unmodified stem, as a 3rd declension word (nominative Gabriel, genitive Gabrielis). So there is no established Latin form to which one could revert when using the name in Latin. For a feminine variant, I would expect Gabriela (or possibly Gabriella).
Compare to the sequence:
Hebrew Yochanan

Greek Ἰωάννης

Latin Ioannes

xxxxxxxxxxlate Latin Johannes → German Hans

xxxxxxxxxxold French Jehan → English John

modern French Jean

(Plus many other variants in other languages, of course.)
Here it is frequent to see reversals to the established late Latin Johannes (or the feminine analogous form Johanna) for someone bearing one of the modern variants of the name.

Last edited:
I think correct would be Dr Gabriele Scott né Neuhäuser.

I think that would depend on the timeline --- wait, we know that she married in 1938 and got her doctorate no earlier than 1937. So even without knowing when "her" bird was named, odds are good that if "Doctor" is correct then "Scott" is correct too (unless she later divorced or otherwise stopped using her married name).

But it should be "née", not "né".

One might also argue that "German" should be replaced by "German-born", since she would have been only 26 when she went to Australia (and apparently remained there at least 49 years).

A good try, Martin!

However I agree with Laurent, I don´t think Gabriele has anything to do with joanae, but I think you´re right in the name of this Gabriele (where it belong) and of how it ought to be written.

Compare with:
● "Plectoramphus lanceolatus gabrielae" MATHEWS & NEUMANN 1939 (OD, here)
"… by Gabriele Neuhäuser, PhD., now Mrs. G. Scott."
Also see links; here, here, here or here (Drama!) … "born in Berlin, 11 May 1911".

Well spotted!

myrtae
● … in the species (proposed for a split) or hard-to-place subspecies Puffinus (newelli/auricularis/assimilis) myrtae BOURNE 1959 as "Puffinus assimilis myrtae"

If not a Myrtle … how about Myrtha (Myrta) or Murtia (alt. Myrtia), as in M/myrtha?

Yet another "unseen" OD …

Rimamphus
● … in the invalid Generic name Rimamphus RAFINESQUE 1818, [published, for the first time in November 1818, in American Montly Magazine (and Critical Review) 4 (No. 1) : p. 41] (here), and later in Journal de Physique 88 (June) 1819: p. 418, here (alt. Richmond transcript, here).

What it means? I haven´t got a clue!

Enjoy!

Rimamphus

Not an easy one, particularly as Rafinesque is not someone from whom a fully classical derivation can be expected.

In the American Monthly Magazine, he writes "Rimamphus citrinus. (Citron Open-bill.)", which strongly suggests that the meaning of the generic name should be "Open-bill". The second part of the name clearly suggests a latinized Greek word in -μφος; such words are not very numerous, and the only one I see that could fit with the expected meaning is ῥάμφος, a bill--but if this is what Rafinesque used, he must have played with it in a rather unconventional way. Greek words starting in ριμ- are still less numerous and none seems like a plausible candidate; Greek words starting in ρειμ- (which could also be latinized into rim-) do not exist at all.

I would suggest a possible arbitrary combination (portmanteau-like) of Latin rima (a cleft, crack, chink, fissure) and Greek ῥάμφος (a bill).

Another "unseen" one

sana
● … in the invalid (nomen nudum?) "Rallus Saná" PELZELN 1865, here (p.133), ex. Natterer (in MS) … apparently based on a specimen from "Sapitiva" (today's Sepetiba, near Rio de Janeiro, Brazil).

According to Straube et. al. 2007*, (disclaimer: as far as I understand them) it derives from 'Saná" … : "Sapitiba"' alt. "Sannà" … : "Rio de Boraxudo"' [today's Rio de Borrachudo, Parana, Brazil] – a local (Brasilian) name on a (or any!?) Rail, in today's Pardirallus (i.e. P. sanguinolentus alt. or/and P. nigricans).

*Straube, F. C., I. A. Accordi & M. Argel. 2007. Nomes populares de aves brasileiras coletados por Johann Natterer (1817-1835), Atualidades Ornitológicas No 136. (here), it´s an un-paginated article (in Portuguese!?), however the list is alphabetical, and "Saná" is found (in two entries!) on pdf-page 5 ; 'Variante de "sanã"' …

The page (p.315) reference in that article is from August von Pelzeln's Zur Ornithologie brasiliens (1868-1870) 1871 (here)

Enjoy!
x

Last edited:
peixotoi

peixotoi seems to be unseen as well. So if someone have access to...

• NAUROIS, R. (1964) - Une nouvelle sous-espèce de tisserin: Ploceus velatus peixotoi (Ile de S. Thomé, Golfe de Guinée). Garcia de Orta, 12 (4): 623-626, fotos. Com F. Frade. Raça. Ponta Diogo Nunes.

... we could verify if it is really the very presumable Rio Peixoto as mentioned in HBW Alive.

Well, that´s it … my stack, my pantry of "unseen" OD's (from that original scroll of the HBW Alive Key trying to find any Swedes I´d missed, that started this lengthy thread)… is empty. I´m done in this thread!

Feel free to continue filling it.

"Unseen" … over and out!

:flyaway:

Quick return ... it´s not a River, but a Captain!

peixotoi seems to be unseen as well. So if someone have access to...

• NAUROIS, R. (1964) - Une nouvelle sous-espèce de tisserin: Ploceus velatus peixotoi (Ile de S. Thomé, Golfe de Guinée). Garcia de Orta, 12 (4): 623-626, fotos. Com F. Frade. Raça. Ponta Diogo Nunes.

... we could verify if it is really the very presumable Rio Peixoto as mentioned in HBW Alive.

Frade, F. & R. de Naurois. 1964. Une nouvelle sous-espèce de tisserin: Ploceus velatus peixotoi (Île de S. Tomé, golfe de Guinée). Garcia de Orta; Revista da Junta de Investigações do Ultramar (Lisboa) 12 (no. 4): pp. 623-626 , Pl. p. 627. [alt. pp. 621-626, Pl. p. 627 (p. 621 summaries, 622 blanc)]
"… nous avons décidé de decrire Ploceus velatus peixotoi, ssp. nov., en hommage à Monsieur le Capitaine de Vaisseau Peixoto Correia, ancien ministre dʼOutre-mer du Portugal, qui nous accorda ses encouragements et son aide la plus généreuse au cours de nos recherches africaines."
Who he was? I sure don´t know!

PS. James, I´ll send you a copy.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back