• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EBird Global Big Day (1 Viewer)

hookem2010

Anybody got big plans for this tomorrow, or I guess today in a lot of the world? I've birded on past big days, but tomorrow will be my first time birding from sunrise to (nearly) sunset. I'm going to try and hit most of the hotspots in my county here in north Texas and am hoping for something in the range of 70 species. There have been some big storms here recently but tomorrow is scheduled to be clear, so hopefully there are a number of good migrants hanging out in the area.

When we arrived at Dungeness (Kent, UK) at about 8.00 a.m., we were greeted with a biting northerly wind. We started in front of the sea-watching hide, which at least meant that we could keep our optics steady. Not surprisingly, there was little visible passage although we did pick up a distant flock of five common scoter. There were lots of terns feeding over the ‘patch’ but they were too far away for positive identification. We did pick up a couple of Mediterranean gulls.
Heading north towards the observatory trapping area, we struggled to see much in the blustery conditions. However, we did pick up a black redstart which wouldn’t allow a close approach, several whitethroats and the odd meadow pipit. Birds were keeping a low profile but we found one wheatear and had reasonable views of a peregrine on the nuclear power plant.
On the RSPB reserve, we were at least largely able to avoid the wind. The light was excellent and we were soon picking up a good variety of birds. Some bar-tailed godwits in breeding plumage were a highlight. We found most of the expected species plus lesser whitethroat, yellow wagtail, four cattle egrets and two great white egrets. Brian found a couple of whimbrels but I couldn’t get on to them. We also had at least three hobbys and a marsh harrier to two. A bittern was booming. Sedge warblers were plentiful but we only managed a few brief glimpses.
A walk around the beach reserve at Rye added avocet, skylark and blackbird. A buzzard as we were leaving Rye was our final bird of the day, my 78th species.

Not been out much given the weather, but did finish off the day today with a nice Short-eared Owl.

Finding it odd this thread has been so quiet? I can understand it from a UK point of view as ebird isn't much used here, but surprised there haven't been more posts from US contributors? Where is everyone?!!

Attachments

• IMG_7013.jpg
    IMG_7013.jpg
    580.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7014.jpg
    IMG_7014.jpg
    874.8 KB · Views: 10
My day ended up being a bit shorter than expected. Didnt get going until about 10 AM and was finished by 630, with some errands sprinkled in. I was able to record 60 species, with 5 new county birds for me. My best find was a Wilson's phalarope, the only one reported in Tarrant county for the day, and only the 2nd time I've seen this species. I ended the day with a common nighthawk after sunset.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back