• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lawn weed! (1 Viewer)

To the person who was giving away brambles- I WANT THEM!!
I try to let them occur naturally but they just wont appear. I had some brambles that gave nice flowers and berrys but then just died. Brambles and stinging nettles:t: Great mix

It must be a good year for orchids, perhaps because of the unusual weather we've had. We've had over 60 common spotted orchids in a small lawn this year. I dug them all up, kept some, and gave many away to friends. They are all beginning to flower now. I did have a couple in the borders last year, so they must've seeded from them. It was a lovely surprise to find so many. They are common in the fields here, but I've never had so many in such a small area - great. Here's a picture of two.

Seb_Seb:
I have loads of brambles and stinging nettles in my garden, come and help yourself! But wear strong gloves!!

Attachments

• orchid cs.jpg
    orchid cs.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 254
I dont mind it when i get stung by nettles......but what really hurts is when i foolishly go outside bare feeted and step on 2 huge hawthorn....thorns, and i have one i each foot so i cant walk. That has happened twice!!!

Nice flowers LMG. I have found 6 individual plants of foxglove in a patch of my garden now!! Can anybody tell me anything about how to ensure they survive til next year?

Thanks for the photo, LMG! Lovely "weeds" you have there!!!

seb-seb, I can't walk out back without long pants and socks because of the stinging nettles, they HURT, and the sting lasts for half-an-hour, how can you stand it?! (J)

Just remembered to check up on this site after being on vacation: OMG, that bee orchid is Totally Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are they common where you live? I am completely knocked out. (J)

John / Matt

Apart from my garden I know of a couple of local sites that these have been found, but they are not an everday find. They like close cropped turf, on chalk or limestone soil. When not in flower they are usually totaly overloooked. They often turn up in roadside verges and playing fields where unfortunately they are often cut down by mowers before or while the flowers are in bloom.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back