• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 883 v Swarovski ATS80 (1 Viewer)

Good choice, the foot of the scope will fit straight into the head and there is a safety lock on there. It should fit straight onto the tripod without any issue, but the screw can be reversed if depending on the thread size. Enjoy, let us know how you get on with your new set up.

Really appreciate your kind help Daniel :t:.

I don't get the tripod until a week on Monday as it let me choose delivery day, and I am off that day, but I will feed back. What a bargain, good tripod and pan-head all for £100.

Although my 2nd-hand Manfrotto 055 tripod comes next week (£60 off Ebay), I have taken the plunge on an Amazon deal for a Manfrotto 290 Extra-aluminium tripod that came with a Manfrotto RC128 head for £129. Not a bad deal I thought.

Just set them up with my new Kowa. The Kowa is just superb as I hoped, the clarity and colour is superb.

The RC128 head is heavy (almost feels military) but boy does it feel secure which is important with such a scope . The Amazon deal meant that in effect I got the tripod for £50 (when you can't buy a new RC128 head for less than £80). It's basic and sturdy, and perfect for my needs, with clip rather than screw legs.

I can now only compare the Kowa with my Opticron ES80ED, and inevitably it is way better, especially the more you use the zoom. The colour and brightness of image is just superb with the Kowa. Very happy bunny, but broke!

Looking forward to get my Manfrotto 055 next week, will be interesting to see if I prefer that to the Manfrotto 296, I envisage that they will be quite similar.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't see these posts earlier, I realise that you have already made a decision but have a look at this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gitzo-G1...442361?hash=item3b32ce29b9:g:vcgAAOSwHShc-M0t

I mention it because I used to have one! Whilst it is an older model it will support you (well mine supported me at over 100 Kilos) damps vibration superbly and they last forever + spares are available. It does not have the newer ALR leg locks but when extending you just lock them from the top down and unlock them from the bottom up when retracting - takes seconds to learn.

This is vastly superior to the tripods that you are looking at, my Manfrotto 055 XB Pro was a toy in comparison. Seriously, if it doesn't go to silly money, put a bid in.

Thanks for the tip John, appreciate your advice very much.

Maybe one for the future if I struggle with my Manfrotto's.

My main concern with the Manfrotto's is the increased weight, otherwise they seem basic but exactly what I wanted - something sturdy and strong. I don't get out birding as often as I would like sadly.

Thanks for the tip John, appreciate your advice very much.

Maybe one for the future if I struggle with my Manfrotto's.

My main concern with the Manfrotto's is the increased weight, otherwise they seem basic but exactly what I wanted - something sturdy and strong. I don't get out birding as often as I would like sadly.

As far as weight is concerned then the tripod that I mentioned offers no advantage - it is a heavy beast, maybe even a little heavier than an 055. However the centre column is removable and can be replaced with a "top plate". This makes it lighter and even more rigid. Unfortunately Gitzo top plates are pricey but (apparently) several other makes fit too.

If weight is a consideration then keep an eye out for the Gitzo GT3530/3531 LS (long Systematic - no centre column) and Mountaineer (centre column models) they are lighter than the latest/previous versions and very good.

All the best.

P.S. Jealous of your scope!

Last edited:
As far as weight is concerned then the tripod that I mentioned offers no advantage - it is a heavy beast, maybe even a little heavier than an 055. However the centre column is removable and can be replaced with a "top plate". This makes it lighter and even more rigid. Unfortunately Gitzo top plates are pricey but (apparently) several other makes fit too.

If weight is a consideration then keep an eye out for the Gitzo GT3530/3531 LS (long Systematic - no centre column) and Mountaineer (centre column models) they are lighter than the latest/previous versions and very good.

All the best.

P.S. Jealous of your scope!

Thanks again John, its all good information for the future.
Hope it performs better at the occasional seawatch I do, might even get the extender which means it can operate at 70-90 x mag I think. Potentially that is awesome, especially when I missed 34 of 35 Great Shearwaters for example at Porthgwarra, using my Opticron.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back