• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (47 Viewers)

Weather update for the All-Dayer tomorrow.

Warm (up to 20C) with continuing easterlies winds and varying amounts of sunshine and cloud cover. Intriguingly, just as we are about to flag in the afternoon there is the prediction of showers between 3 and 5pm. Could be very tasty - just like the bacon sarnies- lets see what is on the move today.

Won't need showers Phil, the bacon aroma alone should pull the birds in!!

Dave J reports from the Moors Pool this morning:

3 Avocet, 5 Common Sandpiper, 5 Oystercatcher, Nuthatch, Lesser Whitethroat, Whitethroat

And from the Flashes Dave reports:

30 Avocets, Ringed Plover, 2 Common Sandpipers, 4 LRP, Garden Warbler

Also still 4 broods of Lapwing with 11 chicks

Hotting up for tomorrow.... Black Tern, Wood Sand, Arctic Tern, Whimbrel on the agenda... Vismig time!
I will happy buy the person who relocates those Whiskered Terns at the Warren a pint in the Swan!

Ahead of the Spring All-Day Birdwatch the reserve has recorded 83 species in the first six days of May; with wall-to-wall coverage from dawn to dusk we would hope to add a few onto that total in just one day.

One final weather update for the All-Day - warm (20C) with an easterly wind moving to a south-easterly later in the day. Overcast conditions in the morning will develop into showers between 2pm and 6pm. Short of overnight rain on paper you couldn't ask for any better - let's see what it delivers.

Tomorrow we have permission to go into the Education Reserve from Mark at the centre. So let's hope we can pick up treecreeper etc in there. 👍.

Nice one John - will certainly be handy.

Whose on the early shift - you Spike and Mike at the Flashes, me Des and Dave at the Moors? Gert is often a quick starter as well.

Key tricky species will include:

Grey Wagtail - often around the Sailing Centre at dawn
Rook - look towards the rookery at Wychnor
Curlew - not reported in last few days, presumably try the Flashes roost
Garden Warbler - around the horse chestnut at the Moors or between the Hen Pool and feeding station at the Flashes
Nuthatch and Coal Tit - east track at the Moors
Mistle Thrush - Moors paddock
House Sparrow - Sailing Centre car park
Willow Warbler - just keep your ears open
Starling - not common at this time of year, don't forgot to consciously look out for one!
Goldcrest - North Moors or larches near Flashes steps
Jay - North Moors or Education Reserve

goldcrest singing in East track gardens this morning.
starlings flock forming over stoke behind east hide..viewed from West hide.
rook over Flashes towards wychbold rookery throughout day.
Just expect the unexpected and you can't go wrong. ..did someone famous say that8-P.
Oh well good luck to the other sites tomorrow :t: john

Red Kite over the transmitter mast at the Flashes at c8.15 as per Mike and Gert. 2 Garden Warblers at the Moors. Currently on 73 species

No passage of any description :(

A Spotted Flycatcher in the North Moors Plantation (a new bird for the year I believe) has brought up our 80th species. Grimley seem to be leading the way with 85 at the moment, although that may have changed by now.

Hoping to get down this afternoon at some time to try and dig out some of those difficult to get species. Have we got Grey Wag, Treecreeper, Starling or House Sparrow for instance.

Further updates are on twitter. I thought I'd put something on here for those, like me, who aren't that au fait with tweeting.

Managed a quick visit to the Sailing Pool which produced the following species:

Mute Swan, Canada Goose, Mallard, Coot, Great Crested Grebe, Buzzard, Black-Headed Gull, Kingfisher, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Woodpigeon, Swallow and Chiffchaff.

Chris

Had a great morning and early afters year ticks included Garden Warbler, Common Whitethroat & Spotted flycatcher.

Highlights for me were Lesser whitethroat at Flashes just past Cuckoo hide, a great view of Sedge Warbler just by the steps leading to the Flashes three Willow Warbler in the trees and scrub in the Salwarpe walk through and of course the great Views of the Garden Warbler.

I would like to thank everyone for making me feel welcome it was great to see people I hadn't seen for quite sometime I really enjoyed the banter and the help from you all

I would also like to pass on my gratitude to EVERYONE involved in producing the Upton Warren Report 2014/15 what a great effort and extremely well produced book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back