• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (6 Viewers)

Different experience

The Waxham RFB was showing beautifully today: down to five or six feet while I was there. Lots of Bramblings and Reed Buntings passing along the dunes, as well as six Cranes and two Buzzards.

Went to see the RFB and it was an "absolute stinker" to see this afternoon. Everyone coming away said it was showing well every 20 minutes or so, but in the two hours my wife and I were there it remained stubbornly hidden in thick cover for 99 per cent of the time. When we arrived two or three people were stood within a few feet of where the bird had last been seen, and apart from blocking the view they were perhaps stood to close. Birdguides have put it out, "avoid getting too close. Later when requested everyone did move back a bit. We saw it only on a couple of occasions flicking through the branches and twice sat perched in the cover at close range with the scope, but on the second occasion partly obscured by leaves.
At other times when the bird was showing in the cover unless you were stood in the right spot it was impossible to see it.
I suppose I can't grumble too much as I had fantastic prolonged views of the Alder Flycatcher on the Monday, a bird which I am less likely to ever see again.
To be fair the bird's extreme elusiveness this afternoon could be attributed to the fact that it had rained before we got there or more likely to the fact that it had fed really well earlier, rather than that people were stood in places where it had been seen in the open.
Anyhow no doubt there will be many more RFB's in future years, if the present trend continues.
Cheers
Richard

Last edited:
Re Bluetail: would've thought you just need to be carefully placed inside the copse, under the canopy, sitting still and keeping quiet for a while - ie a bit of fieldcraft, if that's not too much to hope for. I'd expect it to be elusive and stay in cover, it's what they do. No problem ending up close, as long as you let the bird come to you, rather than the other way round. Reminds me of the Beeston bird a couple of autumns ago, which passed me on its circuit no more than five feet away, and an RBFly at Winterton which showed even closer under the canopy on a windy day, while everyone outside moaned about how elusive it was...

And Shangri-La bungalow is >here<, Penny - there's another little cottage north of the track as well. Park near church, walk up onto dunetop path, head south. Hope this helps - good luck!

Last edited:
Had a cracking week in E Anglia, including being at Sheringham for the mega seawatch, then the Empid the following day - an experience never to be forgotten! I'm posting to find out about the Bonellis; originally put out as a Western, i then heard rumours it was giving a "chip" call. I'd be grateful if someone could fill in the gaps so to speak.
Cheers.

I've heard from two very reliable sources that it gave the classic "hoo-eet" type call of a western. Do you know who actually heard it give the "chip" call ?

I've heard from two very reliable sources that it gave the classic "hoo-eet" type call of a western. Do you know who actually heard it give the "chip" call ?

I think some of the enquiries about the "chip" call are coming from a note on Kevin Du Rose's photo on Birdguides, in which he says that someone told him it gave that call.

To be fair the bird's extreme elusiveness this afternoon could be attributed to the fact that it had rained before we got there or more likely to the fact that it had fed really well earlier, rather than that people were stood in places where it had been seen in the open.
Anyhow no doubt there will be many more RFB's in future years, if the present trend continues.
Cheers
Richard

In reality I think you'll find that the elusiveness of the bird this pm was totally down to the 'birders' present. It was perfectly happy doing a circuit of the copse and coming to some mealworms that had been provided for it every 15 mins or so and in doing so gave excellent views to all of us who were quietly standing there.

Unfortunately someone decided to totally unecessarily walk into the middle of the copse and cut off its line of approach, and when the bird had to move round him to try to return to the food there was a 'rush' by the newly arrived people to see it and they all stood on the very area on which it was trying to return to. In their defence they had no idea as to what it had been doing and when I pointed that out to them and asked them to move back to give it some space they did but unfortunately the damage had been done and it never returned to where it had been feeding quite happily all day but skulked in the undergrowth for the remainder of the afternoon. Also the fact that at one point it started to call continuously was potentially also a sign of its agitated state.

Anyway if its still there tomorrow then just wait for it to appear and let it come to you and you'll get stunning views, chasing it will only result in crap views as they were in the main this pm so you'll only be harming yourself, and, as applies to any situation, if you arrive at a bird then ASK someone what the score is, don't just think you are better than everyone else and walk in front of those patiently waiting to stand next to the very spot where the bird is!

Simon

Hunstanton and Holme

Hunstanton Cliffs

Decided to stay fairly local today and started off at Hunstanton Cliffs. NE and another dull day and no sun out at all.

Loads of Turnstones and Starlings feeding on the grass slopes next to the main Arcade opposite the Golden Lion Hotel. Also turnstones and gulls on the roof of the Arcade!

Parked the car by the Remains of St Edmund's Chapel and walked over to the Lighthouse garden which is very sheltered and a good migrant spot - only robins and hedgesparrows here though.

Continued walking along the cliff top - tons of gulls, mostly black headed gulls sitting on the pitch 'n' putt. At end far end of the cliff top carpark I continued on the coastal path through bushes and the copse of pine trees to right-hand side and past the Le strange Arms Hotel garden (another potentially good migrant spot) and past the RNLI (Royal National Lifeboat Instituation) to the area of bushes/pines and chalet gardens that start just before Old Hunstanton Gold Course. A telegraph wire runs along the top of the gardens and I always imagine a shrike, roller or bee-eater sitting there! Several birds here including greenfinches, goldfinches, wrens, blue, great and long tailed tits, redwings, song thrushes, blackbirds and robins. Walked back to car and drove to the fish 'n' chip shop and shared my lunch with the gulls on the cliff top near the bowling green. Feeling glum now and wished I had gone for another Pallas's fix at Burnham Overy. As a friend of mine said, I have been spoilt the last few days, well why not? This autumn should be awesome, last autumn was absolutely crap in Norfolk! Photographed Starlings by the Golden Lion Hotel with the car positioned on the wrong side of the road, although I was indicating - but the "Land Train" driver was not impressed with where I was parked so I was forced to move.

Holme - Redwell Marsh NOA and River Hun

A Cettis Warbler was singing by the bridge. From the hide at least 175 Teal! 50+ Wigeon, 8 Black tailed Godwits, 2 Snipe and usual mallards, black headed gulls etc. A white racing pigeon landed momentarily. I left here and walked west, past the hide following the footpath alongside the River Hun to the bridge, then crossing the road and continued on the footpath, again following the river past the caravans. I disturbed a green woodpecker near the caravans and loads of blackbirds, song thrushes and redwings in the caravan park. Several chiffchaffs and long tailed tits here also. Walked back to the hide and walked east along the path up to the the large sycamore tree by the mobile home opposite Sandy Ridge just before the NWT pay hut. Along here I saw at least 3 Garden Warblers and same again of Blackcaps, both male and female and several goldcrests. The sycamore held lots of goldcrests flicking about amongst the leaves in a feeding frenzie - I studied every one, hoping for a Pallas's or yellow browed warbler, but no luck. Several mallards in the river and tons of redwings, song thrushes and blackbirds in the thick hedge that runs from the bridge by the pay hut across Redwell Marsh. Sat on the seat near the bridge for a few minutes, when Jed Andrews (NOA warden) came past and spoke briefly - "we've got weather stuck in Sweden" he said, "thats why nothing much is coming through now". "When's the next good day then" I said - "Sunday" he replied. Sunday it is then!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

PICTURES ON BLOG.

Last edited:
Re Bluetail: would've thought you just need to be carefully placed inside the copse, under the canopy, sitting still and keeping quiet for a while - ie a bit of fieldcraft, if that's not too much to hope for.

Couldnt agree more, it was far more happy when myself and one other were sitting still in the copse, binoculars were not needed, but when others turned up and stood in the middle of the copse moving around every time the bird moved it was far more difficult to see, needless to say I moved on too. Fieldwork is something that will result in good views or rarities and common birds alike, its really worth learning!

Couldnt agree more, it was far more happy when myself and one other were sitting still in the copse, binoculars were not needed, but when others turned up and stood in the middle of the copse moving around every time the bird moved it was far more difficult to see, needless to say I moved on too. Fieldwork is something that will result in good views or rarities and common birds alike, its really worth learning!

I think you mean fieldcraft ? But yes agree very much with simon's and your post. There are some appalling displays these days. When the burnham overy bird appeared for the later arriving crowd, they all cheered and whooped. Not surprisingly the bird disappeared, birds can hear you know !!

I too was at Redwell Marsh yesterday, Penny, from there onto the dunes & beach - saw pretty much the same - except no Garden warblers. But I did have the Snow buntings mentioned earlier.
I also had a flock of Redpolls fly over. There were several Grey partridge on the dunes - the buckthorn full of thrushes and 'crests.

This am at Holkham it was v quiet compared to monday, with far fewer birds. Barn owl & Tawny owl were birds of the morning.

Here at the B&B there are still a few Bramblings, two Roe deer this am. and lots of thrushes.

Does anyone have the whereabouts of the YBW near Wells please?

'Fieldcraft'

I really think some of you guys need to lighten up a little....
When I was at Waxham yesterday, people were entering the copse quietly and waiting patiently for directions. Nobody was moving about, other than a couple of photographers (who seemed pretty considerate to the feelings of the general birders) and nobody was talking above a whisper.
You know, birding is a hobby for most weekend birders, not a job and not an obsession. Although I personally wouldn't whoop at the sight of a good bird, I can understand and smile at the enthusiasm of those who did. And although birds 'can hear', they put up with all kinds of ambient noise: I've watched rare birds right in the middle of cities and industrial sites. My personal feeling is that, while it's pleasant to enjoy a good bird alone or in the company of a couple of friends, that's often unrealistic in the modern era....

Thanks for the info (and James too) - i thought i heard it give the Western call on two occasions and said so to my 2 friends, however as it was somewhat distant i felt i could not 100% rule a nearby Willow/Chiff. I wonder if the chap is able to find out more from the person who thought they heard it give the chip call. The Eastern in Tyne and Wear about 15 years ago was much more vocal than this bird and gave strong chip calls audible at a good distance.
Cheers.

Titchwell October 14th

Today's highlights

Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Velvet scoter - 1 offshore
Lapland bunting - 3 on brackish marsh
Twite - 1 on brackish marsh
Spotted redshank - 4 on tidal pool

Paul

In reality I think you'll find that the elusiveness of the bird this pm was totally down to the 'birders' present. It was perfectly happy doing a circuit of the copse and coming to some mealworms that had been provided for it every 15 mins or so and in doing so gave excellent views to all of us who were quietly standing there.

Unfortunately someone decided to totally unecessarily walk into the middle of the copse and cut off its line of approach, and when the bird had to move round him to try to return to the food there was a 'rush' by the newly arrived people to see it and they all stood on the very area on which it was trying to return to. In their defence they had no idea as to what it had been doing and when I pointed that out to them and asked them to move back to give it some space they did but unfortunately the damage had been done and it never returned to where it had been feeding quite happily all day but skulked in the undergrowth for the remainder of the afternoon. Also the fact that at one point it started to call continuously was potentially also a sign of its agitated state.

Simon

Sorry to pick up on this a day later, but it shames me to hear about this and just continues to fuel to suppression that happens throughout Norfolk, but particularly in the East (wait to be shot down in flames)!

It was so great on Tuesday to share this wonderful bird on the East Coast, with a number of East Coast birders (who were, in their own way 'twitching' the bird). People were present inside the copse (incidentally, how the bird was originally found) so I joined them. Common sense (fieldcraft?!?) had people standing next to the trunks and branches, thus breaking up our outline, and, with slow, careful and quiet movement, the bird could be approached (and approached 'you') to within a few feet. It would only disappear for a few minutes at a time, before moving back and forth along the copse.

At one point the bird started showing well from outside the copse and people quietly came out to observe it (in much better light, but at greater distance - 20 m or so!!) When it 'disappeared' back in to the copse a few of us quietly returned inside and again had the bird moving around within feet of us. I suppose I should have informed the new arrivals about the behaviour of the bird and hence why we returned inside the copse. I then heard that a number of people weren't 'happy' we had 'gone in', so I left the bird to explain its behaviour and a number of others went inside, behaving quietly (as suggested) and presumably had excellent views.

Someone on here mentioned getting the 'gen' on a bird’s behaviour when twitching. This to me is again common sense (although, I know the question, 'Is it showing?' annoys some!) it aids the birds and the 'birders' (pagerers;)) arriving and, if you are already there and help others with this information then everyone’s a winner!!

Final comment / question: I wonder who and why someone took it upon themselves to put down meal worms for the bird?!? Is this really in the bird’s best interest? Did people ask / explain what was being done? Was it explained to others that it had been done and therefore the best place to observe the bird? (When I saw it on Tuesday, it seemed to be feeding actively, finding plenty of food and only moving a max of c40 m along the copse)

PS I acknowledge that there was only a max of 20 people there on Tuesday, which makes a difference!

Fieldcraft ?

Fieldcraft is often not displayed by the most eminent birders at a ‘twitch’; a camera (which I, too, carry), often used as license to stand substantially nearer than ‘mere’ birders.

It requires thought and experience of what a bird is likely to do. Small groups who know each other are usually best at utilising fieldcraft in the re/locating of a bird.

Rushing towards a bird and/or whooping is not likely to result in a good view- unless its disappearing tail is the objective !

I agree with David and Simon: it’s more than irritating to spend time, often a lot of time, waiting for a bird to appear, only to have this view curtailed by senseless, I repeat senseless behaviour.

This is why I quickly walked away from the Burnham Overy Bluetail and perambulated Gun Hill. The crowd at my second viewing of the nearby Pallas’s was, in contrast, mostly quiet and controlled, despite consisting of the ‘same’ people.

David (#2!), in the post below, demonstrates in excellent fashion how, with knowledge of a bird's behaviour and cautious movement, wonderful views may be obtained.

Last edited:
As Hummerman said earlier, what a magic weekend we had in Norfolk.

John

Sorry I missed you John, I'm sorry I missed the Radde's too, a day late for that one but a fabulous long weekend it was!

Some record shots attached - Brambling, Wells, Bluetail & admirers at Burnham Dunes.

Attachments

• brambling.JPG
    brambling.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 82
  • rfbt.jpg
    rfbt.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 159
  • crowd.JPG
    crowd.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 186

Users who are viewing this thread

Back