• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sumava, Bohemia - RFI (1 Viewer)

nicklittlewood

Got a few days in Czech Republic in early/mid July. I've got both the Gorman books (Birding in Eastern Europe and Where to Watch Birds in Eastern Europe) and fancy trying my luck at Sumava the SW of the country (in the Bohemia region). From the books, it seems that the Boubín primeval forest is a key place for some of the speciality birds. I'll be looking for anything I don't normally see at home but am particularly keen on seeing Hazelhen and, although probably and awful long shot in July, owls (Ural, Tengmalm's, Pygmy). Also would be good to see Grey-headed Woodpecker.

Just wondered if anyone has birded the area in recent years and had any success or not (or info on other good sites in that general area that is additional to what is in the two books).

Thanks

Nick

it's a quirk of the forum that the best gen is often located on the vacational trip reports section rather than here- see this for some clues

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=229547

Thanks Ed,

I'll have a trawl through this. I'm not too hopefuly about the owls in particular in July (guess Pygmy might be best chance) but as we will be there anyway I'll see more by being out in the field than not!

Cheers

Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back