• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Above and beyond (1 Viewer)

well done to that man. Nice to see that some people still value the lives of all living creatures. As a sometime fisherman myself I find it abhorrent that in this day and age, despite all the publicity surrounding the issue there are still some irresponsible individuals who continue to discard used line and weights rather than taking it home in their tackle box and disposing of it properly.

Tony Whitehead, from the RSPB, said: "Big pat on the back to the mystery man who bravely dived into the river to save this stranded gull.

Aren't some people just fantastic :t:

A few years back my girl was driving when a blackbird flew into her path and she hit it.

She stopped the car to find the bird on the floor. It was dazed and looked like one of its wings had been damaged.

So she picked it up, put it in the passenger seat - no seatbelt - and drove it to the local vets where they gave it a quick look over to find that there was no damage to its wing - it was just ruffled feathers.

The vets said they would keep an eye on it overnight but it should be okay.

The pride I felt when my girl told me her story is the same as I feel for this guy reading this.

And I don't mean to steal his moment - but y girl is fantastic too ;)

Not full marks to the RSPB though with their comment. Nobody asked them to recommend against people taking matters into their own hands and I should think it likely that by the time the RSPCA might have arrived, the gull might well have drowned. There is far too much these days of people saying "oh, you shouldn't do that"! To hell with it. Know your limitations, yes, and work within them: but the people responsible for society's excessive nannyism can just naff off. All of them.

John

Not full marks to the RSPB though with their comment. Nobody asked them to recommend against people taking matters into their own hands and I should think it likely that by the time the RSPCA might have arrived, the gull might well have drowned. There is far too much these days of people saying "oh, you shouldn't do that"! To hell with it. Know your limitations, yes, and work within them: but the people responsible for society's excessive nannyism can just naff off. All of them.

John

Stay hydrated and keep out of the sun John ;)

A

Good on him.

wrt the advice from the RSPB - yes sensible. Have stopped someone swimming out into a rough sea to save a Mallard duckling which was by then almost certainly beyond help. Got to know your limitations. (Then there ws that deer which drowned after intervention from the public whilst the RSPCA local expert was being collected nr IoW).

There is no such thing as common sense and each situation is a stand-alone. Also don't want to invoke Darwin-awards style results for people showing a care and compassion for wildlife.
;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back