• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

August 2019 at Gramborough (1 Viewer)

firstreesjohn

In the same month last year [https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=366562], that list mainly consisted of the commoner warblers and chats - leavened with 5 Pied Fly days. This month was roughly similar, though fortunately with many fewer ‘non-notable’ days. It was enlivened by single Pied Flies (on 9th, 24th, 25th & 28th) and with a few much more interesting, if all-too-brief, birds. These offerings meant that I was rarely bored after the long trek east from the Beach Road.

The possible Pallid Swift was most frustrating: brief and avoiding capture by camera, quickly climbing high against the bright blue sky. Subsequently, I learned that comparably unsatisfactory views of a ‘possible’ were had at Kelling - by two experienced observers earlier in the morning.

The least said about the Marsh Sandpiper, the better. Suffice to say that I heard it, the birder next to me heard and saw it (high and going away) and performed excellent detective work after the event.

The appearance of a female Wasp Spider on 13th, after three years’ absence (the previous one was last sighted on 10 August 2016), was most welcome. What wasn’t was being stung with the news that it had been seen there for at least the previous three days: I was decidedly waspish ! What was more than disappointing was the hacking about of the surrounding vegetation - presumably in order to make photography easier. This resulted in the destruction of another web and the disappearance of a second Wasp Spider.

The photo of a Sand Martin on 4th was memorable for me: the bird held this strikingly angular shape for many minutes, as it faced into the strong breeze. Would it be successful in its long journey south, then return to breed in the cliff (if that survives !) next spring ? I’m sure we all pray for young Sandy.

The Grayling, on 23rd, was my latest, I believe. I’m told they can be seen for up to another month. I wish all of them would show their upperwings in this manner - even if she’s so faded as to make recognition problematic.

The month peteared out with a few Whimpers. An exciting record on the last day was my first Volucella zonaria at the site. The prospects for September don’t exactly thrill, either: no Easterlies are forecast until at least the middle of the month.

Attachments

• 6th Somewhere .  .  ..jpg
    6th Somewhere . . ..jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC05085ed50 square Sand Martin.jpg
    DSC05085ed50 square Sand Martin.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC05888ed50 Pied Fly.jpg
    DSC05888ed50 Pied Fly.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC06365ed25 Wasp Spider female.jpg
    DSC06365ed25 Wasp Spider female.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 19
31: 3 Whinchats, Wheatear.
30: Wheatear.
29: KINGFISHER, 3 Whinchats, 2 Whitethroats, Wheatear, Wren.
28: PIED FLYCATCHER (highly elusive), Garden Warbler, ♀ Blackcap, 3 Whitethroats, Wren.
27: A small fall ! 3 Garden Warblers, 3 Whinchats, 3 Chiffchaffs, 2 Willow Warblers, 2 Whitethroats. A Cuckoo briefly flopped in mid-a’noon.
26: Garden Warbler, Reed Warbler, 2 Whinchats, Whitethroat, Quail (still ‘wetting’ in grazing meadow). 2 Great White Egrets in grazing meadow briefly, then ↑W. (Redstart reported in morning by visiting birder.)
4 Whinchats in a’noon.
25: Garden Warbler (foa), ♂ Blackcap (foa), Reed Warbler, Whitethroat, Quail (‘wetting’ in grazing meadow). ***DOTTEREL*** (my second record here) seen to ↑W, with call ID’d by eminent birder; PIED FLYCATCHER and 2 Whinchats in evening.
24: PIED FLYCATCHER, 2 Whinchats, Willow Warbler. (Quail, presumably in grazing meadow - via RBA.) Probable *****MARSH SANDPIPER***** seen to ↑W (by highly experienced observer) and heard to make unfamiliar call (subsequently ID’d from part of song on Xeno-canto).
23: 2 Whitethroats . . . and the latest Grayling ever (for me) !
22: Whitethroat.
21: 3 Whinchats (foa), Wheatear, 2 Whitethroats, 4 Willow Warblers.
20: 7 Willow Warblers, 4 Wheatears, Wren.
19: Willow Warbler, Whitethroat, Wren. (Other, highly experienced observer, after rain: Lesser Whitethroat, 2 Willow Warblers.)
18: Stonechat, Wren.
17: ***possible PALLID SWIFT*** briefly over the Hill at 0910h, then went high and ↑S. Cuckoo, Lesser Whitethroat, Whitethroat, Wren, Wheatear.
15: 02♪.
14: Yellow Wagtail ↑W, Greenshank.
13: WASP SPIDER (apparently present several days). Chiffchaff (other, highly experienced observer).
12: Sedge Warbler (foy), Wren, Common Sandpiper, Whitethroat.
10: 02♪.
9: 9 Greenshanks ↑W. PIED FLYCATCHER (in a’noon).
8: ♀ Stonechat, Wren, Whitethroat.
7: 1+ Whitethroats, Common Sandpiper.
6: Great White Egret briefly; then ↑W. Willow Warbler, 2 Whitethroats.
5: 2 Reed Warblers.
4: Common Sandpiper, Whitethroat.
2: Arctic Skua ↑W, 3 Greenshank ↑W.
1: 02♪.

Attachments

• DSC07289ed25 Grayling.jpg
    DSC07289ed25 Grayling.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC07319ed25 Grayling.jpg
    DSC07319ed25 Grayling.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC07811ed50 Whinchat.jpg
    DSC07811ed50 Whinchat.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC07888ed25 Goldie.jpg
    DSC07888ed25 Goldie.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC08233ed50 fem Volucella zonaria.jpg
    DSC08233ed50 fem Volucella zonaria.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 17
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back