• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk mammals (1 Viewer)

Another road casualty Polecat, this time on the A.140 between the airport and distributor roundabout. A small (young?) female, by the looks of it ...

Attachments

• polecatnorwich220619b.jpg
    polecatnorwich220619b.jpg
    778.7 KB · Views: 34
  • polecatnorwich220619.jpg
    polecatnorwich220619.jpg
    678.4 KB · Views: 34
Re Saturday's dead Polecat in post #261, time of death was between when I drove by at 5.30pm and when I returned at 6.30pm. Apart from a blood drop on the nose and being dead, the animal was in good condition, having received no subsequent squashage and felt still warm. So it was out hunting in broad daylight early evening. Quite a few Rabbits in the rough ground on the airport edge just there, so may be a good spot to stake out for views of a live Polecat? If a young animal, could be a family of them in the area?

Been a few more dead Polecat sightings lately, including three or four at various sites along the A.140, A.148 and B.1149 between Norwich and the north coast. The latest (freshly squashed today and pictured here) was at Fakenham between the ring road and Morrisons.

Attachments

• polecatfakenham120919.jpg
    polecatfakenham120919.jpg
    665 KB · Views: 43
Re Saturday's dead Polecat in post #261, time of death was between when I drove by at 5.30pm and when I returned at 6.30pm. Apart from a blood drop on the nose and being dead, the animal was in good condition, having received no subsequent squashage and felt still warm. So it was out hunting in broad daylight early evening. Quite a few Rabbits in the rough ground on the airport edge just there, so may be a good spot to stake out for views of a live Polecat? If a young animal, could be a family of them in the area?

Hi Richard, would you be able to give a pin drop or coordinates for this please.
Is it the wide strip of grass at the end of the runway on the east side of the A140 where there's always rabbits?
Next time I'm up that way I wouldn't mind doing a stakeout. Thanks, Paul

Hi Richard, would you be able to give a pin drop or coordinates for this please.
Is it the wide strip of grass at the end of the runway on the east side of the A140 where there's always rabbits?
Next time I'm up that way I wouldn't mind doing a stakeout. Thanks, Paul

Don't know about always, but back in spring there were bunnies just along the A140 verge beside the airport and in the rough paddock just outside the fence. I've not been there early or late in recent months though...

Not encountered any for a while, but saw two more road casualty Polecats this weekend, one on A140 five miles south of Norwich, one on A148 at Spout Hills, Holt. Maybe they are commonly spotted dead but not much reported?

Another one, same place exactly, today. The field between the road and the airfield here is bounding with bunnies, presumably the target prey ... maybe this spot really has got the makings of a possible stakeout

Another one, same place exactly, today. The field between the road and the airfield here is bounding with bunnies, presumably the target prey ... maybe this spot really has got the makings of a possible stakeout

Interesting observations Richard, might try a stakeout sometime. Thanks for the updates.

Polecats again!

There have been several dead Polecats by the A47 near the Brundall roundabout: usually too dangerous to attempt a photograph, but this one was conveniently near the Blofield Heath slip road.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 12
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back