• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Closeout high quality eyepiece case (1 Viewer)

billb9430

One of the nice things about Pentax PF spotting scopes is the ability to use fixed FL standard 1 1/4" diameter eyepieces. These typically have a much wider field and provide a better view than most zoom eyepieces, but pose the small problem of carrying the extra oculars. I happened across a high quality zip up small leather case that solves this problem. It is the Pentax PTX-L80 Soft Leather Case for Optio MX Digital Cameras I got mine on Amazon from seller "The Portable Guy" for the astounding price of $2.00 plus $4.49 shipping or a total of $6.49 US.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-PTX-L8...8681&sr=1-1&keywords=pentax+optio+camera+case

This case is small, just big enough to hold a couple of XW eyepieces and a Barlow lens, but is VERY high quality leather and nicely padded. It comes with an adjustable length nylon strap 3/4" wide and 50" long including QR swivels at the ends.

The case has removable divider and rigid bottom, but is padded all around even without those. It does have the word "Optio" embossed in gaudy PINK on the top flap, but that is easily removed with a few Q-tips dipped in lacquer thinner and then followed up with black shoe polish and a little buffing. The embossed "Optio" lettering is not noticeable after this treatment. Read the comments on the seller’s website regarding the quality of the case.

I carry a Pentax XW 20 mm and 14 mm eyepieces plus a 2x Barlow lens in mine to augment the 2" 26 mm SWA eyepiece that is normally kept on the scope (see 2" eyepiece thread). This gives available eyepiece focal lengths of 26, 20, 14, 10, and 7 mm, so pretty well covers the range of usable powers for daytime viewing. It of course will also work with the discontinued XL series or other eyepiece brands, though the long TeleVue Delos 17.3 mm won't fit in the case standing up.

The case is surely a closeout at this bargain price, so if you want one, best act quickly. I believe the prices above on Amazon apply to USA shipments, so there may be added charges for other countries. Might want to search for dealers with good prices in your country. - Bill

Looks like this deal is over now. The website says:
Currently unavailable.

Whoops, ignore the above. They are back in stock now. The seller must have found more.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back