• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New CL 8x30 and me. (1 Viewer)

Torview

Hi all,

I`v spent quite some time with my CL now, alternating each time between my SV and the CL when out birding and walking my Lab Ben, and as I walk him every day on and around Dartmoor I always take a binocular with me, lots of Cuckoo`s calling currently on my patch.

Alternating between the CL and the SV gives the CL a very high bar to be judged by, however it acquits itself very well, although never actually able to equal the SV.

The build quality and feeling in the hand is top notch, here it definitely equals the SV, and feels every inch an "Alpha", just smaller, the magnesium body feels incredibly solid and robust, and covered in Swarovski`s new armour secure in all weathers. The action of the eyecups feels precise when raised, although an intermediate position or two would have been helpful for some no doubt.

The focus action is the smoothest I`v ever had in a Swaro, perfectly weighted, equal tension in both directions with no backlash or stiction, shame about the almost useless diopter adjustment, I don`t know who signed off on the design, or the thinking behind it, simply the worst solution to a diopter I`v owned.

The view is bright, very sharp, almost to the very edge left and right, much softer top and bottom of the view, but overall pure Swaro in colour and contrast for anyone used to the latest SV`s, C/A is almost absent for me, and looking up at soaring Buzzards gives a lovely clean view free from any colour fringing.

Glare is very well controlled, much better than I experienced in my 32mm SV, actually the front elements are surprisingly deeply recessed so this may help.

The ergonomics I`m sure will work for a wide range of users, I would have liked another 1cm or so of length, but on the whole a well judged size.

Personally I`d recommend the new CL without reservation, I can`t think of anything else that offers so much quality in both build and optics in such a small and useful binocular, the markets first "Alpha" 30mm ? I think so.

John.

John,

Wonderful review, thanks for sharing with us!

Considering your field testing directly along side the SV, and the high praise these CLs' have garnered from other owners, I'm reluctant to try them out as I may walk away with an empty wallet! :eek!: 3:)

Already have too many quality 8X30\32mm optics, but when the opportunity arises, guess I'll just have to SEE what I'm missing. Tried the prior CLs under several different situations...was never impressed and always felt they were the weak link in the Swaro roof line up. Appears now, they are a very viable\affordable option to the ELs!! B :)

Ted

But the old CL Companion are so bad !!
I read some good reviews about the CL 10X30 model, the author of the review said of the great brightness and contrast ... giving it superiority when compared to a Pentax 9x43.
regards

Hi Ted and Wachi............

I agree the old CL was lacking optically at the asking price, the new one is a very different beast, however Ted if you have an 8x32SV I can`t see the CL offering much of a weight or size saving.

John.

I've been using the 10x30 for some months now, and I'm also quite amazed how good the CL is. A few comments:

Alternating between the CL and the SV gives the CL a very high bar to be judged by, however it acquits itself very well, although never actually able to equal the SV.

Agreed, although I find it hard to compare the SV to the CL. Both are very different binoculars, the CL being much more "traditional" in some respects, without a truly flat field.

The build quality and feeling in the hand is top notch, here it definitely equals the SV, and feels every inch an "Alpha", just smaller, the magnesium body feels incredibly solid and robust, and covered in Swarovski`s new armour secure in all weathers. <snip>

The focus action is the smoothest I`v ever had in a Swaro, perfectly weighted, equal tension in both directions with no backlash or stiction, shame about the almost useless diopter adjustment, I don`t know who signed off on the design, or the thinking behind it, simply the worst solution to a diopter I`v owned.

Agreed. The focuser in particular is among the best I've used, perhaps not quite as good as the Nikon focusers, but very, very close. The diopter adjustment - no comment. Seems to me the guy who designed it (and those who accepted the design) must have forgotten to take their medication.

The view is bright, very sharp, almost to the very edge left and right, much softer top and bottom of the view, but overall pure Swaro in colour and contrast for anyone used to the latest SV`s, C/A is almost absent for me, and looking up at soaring Buzzards gives a lovely clean view free from any colour fringing.

Glare is very well controlled, much better than I experienced in my 32mm SV, actually the front elements are surprisingly deeply recessed so this may help.

In the 10x30 I find the sharpness at the top and bottom of the field of view also pretty good. That may be a difference between the two models. Veiling glare is there, sure. But I find it acceptable, in contrast to that of the SV 8x32 which I don't find acceptable at all.

The ergonomics I`m sure will work for a wide range of users, I would have liked another 1cm or so of length, but on the whole a well judged size.

One other aspect is that Swarovski managed to design an eyepiece that works very, very well indeed, even in the 10x30. I've never used a binocular with such a small exit pupil that is so easy to use. For years I've been saying that I need an exit pupil of about 4mm to feel really comfortable with a binocular. But the Swwarovski works for me just fine.

Personally I`d recommend the new CL without reservation, I can`t think of anything else that offers so much quality in both build and optics in such a small and useful binocular, the markets first "Alpha" 30mm ? I think so.

Seconded.

Hermann

I have both the 8x30 and 10x30 CL . I really like their performance and form factor. Well enough that I sold my SV 8x32. I really don’t feel like I have lost much in performance and the little smaller size suits me well when traveling. I am also more likely to carry the smaller bino more often. I couldn’t decide on the 8 or 10 power so I bought both.

Really the 8x30 CL is a good competitor of the SV 8X32 ? contrast,sharp,flat field , small CA..focus ,eyecups ?
Wachi

It is everything that Torview and Hermann say it is!:t:

Its eyecups are large enough and comfortable. The unique design of the eye piece allows me to place the eyecups almost anywhere against my eye brows and even back into my eye sockets without experiencing blackouts.

Remarkable! :king:

Bob

Really the 8x30 CL is a good competitor of the SV 8X32 ? contrast,sharp,flat field , small CA..focus ,eyecups ?
Wachi

For me in glare control the CL is better than the SV, everywhere else the SV leads but one has to factor in the CL is nearly 40% cheaper.

I'm quite sure the new CL binos are very pleasant binos and much better than the older ones I had the opportunity to look through, but in this class of devices ( small grown-up roof prism binos with a big price tag ) the close focus distance of 3m would be a show stopper for me (similar the SLCs, the intention of the Austrians behind this may not be too difficult to guess).

But it's just me - Cocco

IMO the new Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B was brought out to replace the recently discontinued Swarovski SLC new 8x30 B. Exit pupils are the same size and the FOVs are very close at 7.6º for the CL Companion to 7.8º. (The 10x30B version of the CL Companion is an afterthought.) Their prices (when the SLC was still being made) are also close. Minimum focusing distance on the new CL Companion is also closer. (3meters to 4 meters per albinos reviews)

I've owned and used both of them enough to tell you that I like the CL Companion much better because of its newly designed eye pieces which are very forgiving with eye placement. The SLC 8x30 B's eye pieces were not forgiving with eye placement. I gave it to my older son who wears glasses and he likes it. (I gave a Zeiss 8x25 Terra ED to his younger brother to take with him to Brazil.)

Bob

Last edited:
The close focus may well influence a purchase on these, I`v just measured mine (admittedly in bright light) at 2.7m.

John.

We measured for the new 8x and 10x Companions a close focus of 2,7 m, just like John in post 12. That is close enough for many birders, but especially for smaller animals like insects that will be not enough.
Gijs van Ginkel

Then , the new model CL Companion is vastly superior to the old model ? I have seen good review on he old model, and good price now..
Wachi

wachipilotes, post 14,
The new CL is better than the former one in a number of aspects, see my test reoprt on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor. If you can get an old one for a reasonable price: do not hesitate, since it is small, light weight and of enough optical quality to enjoy it.
Gijs van Ginkel

Wachi

Hi,

As I see it, the new 8x30 cl is a good/strong competitor in second tier 8x32 glass - and is likely why Swarovski no longer has one. (EL 8/10x32 & CL 8/10x30 are now the extent of the offerings in this objective class). I wonder if other companies will soon follow???

CG

...I wonder if other companies will soon follow???...

I'd say the Zeiss 8x25 Victory is already there. I find that it handles and provides a view more like what I expect from an 8x32, so I consider it a competitor to the Swarovski 8x30 CL (new) even though it is a slightly different format. It has smaller objectives (and exit pupil), yet eye placement is quite forgiving, and the Victory beats the CL in most other important respects, including price, weight, FOV, close focus, eye relief, and minimum IPD.

--AP

Alexis,

This sort of exemplifies the point. I believe Swarovski offered a high quality 8/10x25 pocket first then Zeiss followed with a high quality 8/10x25 pocket. Now Swarovski is offering a high quality 8/10x30... will Zeiss (and others) start offering a high quality 8/10x30??? Will they discontinue any sub alpha 8/10x32 in favor of a high quality 8/10x30???

CG

I'd say the Zeiss 8x25 Victory is already there. I find that it handles and provides a view more like what I expect from an 8x32, so I consider it a competitor to the Swarovski 8x30 CL (new) even though it is a slightly different format. It has smaller objectives (and exit pupil), yet eye placement is quite forgiving, and the Victory beats the CL in most other important respects, including price, weight, FOV, close focus, eye relief, and minimum IPD.

The Victory 8x25 beats the CL in most other important respects? Not really. Did you actually compare the two? Doesn't look like it to me.

Hermann

The Victory 8x25 beats the CL in most other important respects? Not really. Did you actually compare the two? Doesn't look like it to me.

Hermann

Is this the old model 8x30 CL Companion or the new model CL Companion 8x30 B that is being compared with the new Victory 8x25?

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back