• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (8 Viewers)

Heard a Cuckoo for only the second time in 10+ years from the garden this morning. Willow Warblers singing away and the Blackcap is still present. Looks like the Great Tits and House Sparrows have raised broods as well.

Rich

Some regulars at our feeding station

The Rose-breasted Grosbeaks have been regulars at our feeder for several weeks now. We have had up to eight (8) so far. Usually just 2 or 3 are showing up in the mornings now. Also getting House Finch, House Sparrow, Northern Cardinal, Bluejay, Grackle (yuck), Carolina Wren, White-breasted Nuthatch, European Starling, Downy Woodpecker, occasional Baltimore Oriole, American Goldfinch, etc.

Just put some food for the first time in months and first bird back was a ....... drum roll please.....Blue Tit:-O

Rich

Yes, I too actually noticed there were birds in the garden again, and mine was a female Northern Cardinal. She was on the feeder too, most eat out of the tray on the ground. Theres sunflower hearts in the feeder though, so I guess she is partial to them.

So nice to see birds in the garden again! ;)

Hi all
Blackcap male today, the first for a long time. Bullfinch regular and the Greenfinch numbers are building back up.
Don't get to see the garden much nowadays as I work a day shift instead of shifts, makes the Weekends even more precious in the winter months.

Dave

Nice selection of birds visiting the garden at the moment but man do my windows need cleaning:eek!:

Attachments

• IMG_6139.jpg
    IMG_6139.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6140.jpg
    IMG_6140.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6145.jpg
    IMG_6145.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 26
Sparrowhawks are becoming less frequent everywhere (in reply to the guy who suggested that no spaoowhawks was a good thing. Their population trends follow those of greenfinches and then chaffinches. Since the tricho introduction sparrow hawks have been dying off. This isn't a good sign unfortunately. It is indicative of it's post trichomoniasis decline

Last edited:
I have just set up a new pest free bird feeder today and hope that it attracts some of the song birds that have been seen in the garden. There are defintaley long tailed tits flitting about the talks lanky branches of our silver birch trees so im looking forward to some interesting visitors over the next few weeks nice they pick up on the feeder and on they feel safe....hope to update with visitors soon.

Been a busy morning in the garden I've seen Jackdaws, Magpies, House Sparrows, Great Tit's, Great Spotted Woodpecker & Starling.

Magpies vs starlings

I had a fledgling starling wander into my sunroom yesterday, very vocal, and sort of friendly. I walked it back out through the garden door and it wandered over to where the bird feeder is on the lawn, not too far from the door. A few minutes later I looked out for it and found a flurry of feathers and the starling's headless carcass by the bird feeder. A magpie had just flown off and was showing great interest and quickly came down again and carried off the remains. I'd heard about this type of thing before but it was the first time I'd seen it first hand.

Last edited:
I can’t seem to get my feeders busy! Like I get a few birds but there never rammed and I have a massive selection of feeders!

Any ideas?

Thanks
Chilt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back