• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (2 Viewers)

Record thickness for lakes in this area is 78 cm ... no real idea what it is now, but I saw some guys having fun on one lake a few days ago driving their Mercedes in big circles, spinning like a ballerina.

Given the temperatures have been sitting at minus 20 for quite some while now (and I see a forecast for minus 27), it is certainly think enough for me to not worry when prancing around on it. Probably around 25-30 cm (water, not soil) in reality at the moment - I will ask some of those nutters that bore holes and try to fish all day.

Aye, in a normal winter, but not just after the warmest autumn / early winter on record! Even Finland, they still had no snow/ice until after christmas, 2-3 weeks of -20 isn't long enough to freeze 50 cm deep!

Aye, in a normal winter, but not just after the warmest autumn / early winter on record! Even Finland, they still had no snow/ice until after christmas, 2-3 weeks of -20 isn't long enough to freeze 50 cm deep!

Inclined to agree half a metre was likely an exaggeration ...once I can jump up and down on it, I stop paying attention :t:

Main river through the city also frozen now, this does not happen every winter.

A balmy minus 5° here, and finally an addition to the year list, a rather scruffy-looking female:

31 Hawfinch dwarfing the Chaffinches and sparrows around the feeders.

Last edited:
Ha ha! No - for the Hawfinch - awesome
Thick snow here tonight. Just made it home over the tops - but just -1.5 c
Might not be able to get in tomorrow! (Oh dear, how sad)

A chilly +8C here.

Not been keeping tabs on the overall species list seen so far, but two different Black Redstarts so far here in Falmouth, and two birds in the last few days not seen last year; a flyover Rook and singing Bullfinch.

Oddly I have never kept a garden list for any house. I recall some birds seen from previous gardens - my first Coal Tit and Nuthatch on some bird feeders in Harlow, Essex and indeed my first Ring-necked Parakeet that flew over some years later.

I've been in this house now for 17 years almost to the day and when I first looked at it, I had a Red-crested Pochard with the Mallards viewable from the upstairs window on the adjacent drainage channel. It was resident for several years.

Since then, I recall the Black Redstart hopping down the garden, Marsh Harrier over, Pied Flycatcher on spring passage in the adjacent hedge and the drainage channel has produced Red-breasted Merganser and Great Crested Grebe as well as a memorable first-winter Little Gull with the Black-headed Gull flock.

But still I've never done a list. Until today that is, so my day, 2016 and life garden list now stand at 22:-

Moorhen
Woodpigeon
Robin
Starling
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Blackbird
Goldfinch
Feral Pigeon
Wren
House Sparrow
Little Egret - flying over as they get in the adjacent ditches regularly
Herring Gull
Dunnock
Carrion Crow
Magpie
Peregrine - the male of the local pair over the garden
Mallard
Black-headed Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Goosander - two adult drakes & three redheads flying along the drainage channel - a regular winter occurrence
Redwing
Total - 22 species

Amusingly, three species there where I recall the one I ticked - Goosander (Rye Meads 25.01.87), Little Egret (West Wittering 25.09.87) & Peregrine (Slimbridge 31.01.88).

All the best

Four more on this snowy day:

36) Greenfinch
37) Linnet
38) Goldfinch
39) Chiffchaff
only the second ever winter chiffy!

Coldest night of the winter for us, minus 10°C this morning, warming up to minus 1 this afternoon, tempting a tough little winterer to visit the garden:

32 (Winter) Wren

The Hawfinch paid another visit yesterday and surprisingly our refugee Pheasant is still surviving up here!

Four more on this snowy day:

36) Greenfinch
37) Linnet
38) Goldfinch
39) Chiffchaff
only the second ever winter chiffy!

Never had a Winter Chiffy!....however a "second occurence" only....3 Goosander flying East (in tight formation), on the frostiest am of the Winter so far...along with the only other "blue chip" species seen last week (Peregrine) puts me on 44.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back