• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cambridgeshire Birding (3 Viewers)

The Common Sand I presume rather than the Little Gull (which was far more fun)? Perhaps I need to read up Shorebirds before commenting further? (This one appeared to have 'quite yellow' legs too) The last non adult Spotted I saw was in 1986 I think!

The Sandpiper still looks good for a Common, but now I've read up Spotted I'll be looking hard at the other 13 just in case. Would prefer a Solitary of course though...

Yes the Common Sandpiper (you are right about the Little Gull though - which I aged as a 3cy-bird due to the incomplete black underwing - more reading needed for me perhaps). Nothing wrong with this being a Common Sandpiper. I noted 2 (out of 15 birds) the other night with reduced white wing bars, one with more yellow looking legs and another bird with notable supercilia and one with a short(ish) tail. However, all were just Common Sandpipers.

Solitary in lagoons sounds nice (we live in hope!)

Grafham Water 15 Sep: Just a single Yellow-legged Gull, no Common Terns and just a few Yellow Wagtails on the dam. The resident 'juv' Oystercatcher appears to have moved from the dam. Kingfisher from Valley Creek Hide would have been a good shot if I had been awake!

Ouse Washes 22-09-12

I felt a tad birdy this morning and seeing the weather forecast, I decided to get out today rather than tomorrow.
Not been to the Ouse Washes for a long time and was mightily impressed by how the reserve is being managed. The scrapes were full of birds. It was Coot City in places and the variety of species seen was as good as I can remember.
I thought I'd field-test my £20 'Tento wonders' and they performed admirably. Could have done with more reach from a scope - but that's in hand :t:
First bird to catch my eye as I walked the mile or so to Churchmans Hide was a juv Spotted Flycatcher sat atop an Elderberry tree near the Ship Inn. That was a 2012 first for me and quite possibly a scarce bird in Cambs.
From the hides - Churchmans and Stockdales I had great views of the birds on and around the scrapes. Spotted the Great White Egret being chased by a Heron. 2 Spoonbills actually doing something other than sleeping - i.e flying about and then sweep feeding. Loads of waders about. I managed to i.d through my little bins - Green Sandpiper x2, Curlew Sandpiper x3, Spotted Redshank poss 2, Greenshank at least 2, 5 Black Tailed Godwits, plenty of Ruff and Snipe and beaucoup de Peewit. I also spied 4 different species of raptor. The male Sprawk had some fun having a go at the masses of Starlings. Lots of Duck too - a scope would have clinched an id of Garganey I reckon, but hey ho I wanted to add Glossy Ibis to my British List. I did, and don't really care if it might have had a BarclayCard tucked under it's wing - it's on my list now :)
All in all a very enjoyable visit to Ouse Washes RSPB - a proper old skool reserve, that's doing a great job for the birds. Just be careful of the road from Mainee - it could easily be a ride at Alton Towers in the future ;)

dave..

Last edited:
Grafham Water 24 Sep ; 6 Dunlins and Redshank on the dam and many House Martins. Also a couple of Sand Martins. Still the regular Yellow legged Gull. Quite a few Meadow Pipits along the dam and three Common Terns late pm

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back