• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Huntable bird species lists (1 Viewer)

locustella

Would anyone post such sample lists from various countries ? Or links to websites where they can be found. That would be interesting.

Code:
Waterfowl (38)
     Geese and Swans (7): Cackling Goose, Canada Goose, Greater White-Fronted Goose,
                          Ross’ Goose, Snow Goose, Tundra Swan, Brant
     Puddle Ducks (10): American Black Duck, American Wigeon, Blue-Winged Teal, Cinnamon Teal, Gadwall, 
                        Green-Winged Teal, Mallard, Mottled Duck, Northern Pintail, Northern Shoveler
     Perching Ducks (1): Wood Duck
     Whistling Ducks (1): Fulvous Whistling Duck
     Diving Ducks (19): Canvasback, Greater Scaup, Lesser Scaup, Redhead, Ring-Necked Duck,
                        Ruddy Duck,
                        Common Merganser, Hooded Merganser, Red-Breasted Merganser,
                        Barrows Goldeneye, Black Scooter, Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye, Harlequin Duck,
                        Long-tailed Duck, Surf Scooter, White-Winged Scooter,
                        Common Eider, King Eider
Upland (22): California Quail, Chuckar Partridge, Dusky (Blue) Grouse, Gambel's Quail, Gray Partridge,
             Greater Prairie-Chicken, Greater Sage-Grouse, Gunnison Sage-Grouse, Lesser Prairie-Chicken,
             Montezuma Quail, Mountain Quail, Northern Bobwhite, Ring-Necked Pheasant, Rock Ptarmigan,
             Ruffed Grouse, Scaled Quail, Sharp-Tailed Grouse, Sooty (Blue) Grouse, Spruce Grouse, 
             White-Tailed Ptarmigan, Wild Turkey, Willow Ptarmigan, 
Migratory Upland (7): American Woodcock, Band-Tailed Pigeon, Eurasian Collared-Dove, Mourning Dove, 
                      White-Tipped Dove, White-Winged Dove, Wilson's Snipe  
Marsh & Shoreline (8): American Coot, Clapper Rail, Common Moorhen, King Rail, Purple Gallinule,
                       Sandhill Crane, Sora, Virginia Rail

Republic of Ireland
1. This Order may be cited as the Wildlife (Wild Birds) (Open Seasons) (Amendment) Order, 2000.

2. In this Order the “Principal Order” means the Wildlife (Wild Birds) (Open Seasons) (Amendment) Order, 1979 ( S.I. No. 192 of 1979 as amended.

3. The First Schedule to the “Principle Order” is hereby amended by the substitution of the following Part for Part I:

PART I

Wild Birds

Open Season

Places in the State

(1)

(2)

(3)

Red Grouse

The period beginning on the 1st day of September in each year and ending on the 30th day of September in the same year.

Throughout the State

Mallard

Teal

Gadwall

Wigeon

Pintail

Shoveler

Scaup

Tufted Duck

Pochard

Goldeneye

Golden Plover

Snipe

Jack Snipe

The period beginning on the 1st day of September in each year and ending on the 31st day of January in the year immediately following that year.

Throughout the State.

Red-legged Partridge

The period beginning on the 1st day of November in each year and ending on the 31st day of January in the year immediately following that year.

Throughout the State.

Cock Pheasant Woodcock

The period beginning on the 1st day of November in each year and ending on the 31st day of January in the year immediately following that year.

Throughout the State.

Curlew

The period beginning on the 1st day of November in each year and ending on the 30th day of November in the same year.

Throughout the State.

Woodpigeon

The period beginning on the 1st day of June in each year and ending on the 31st day of January in the year immediately following that year.

Throughout the State.

Canada Goose

The period beginning on the 1st day of September in each year and ending on the 15th day of October in the same year.

Throughout the State.

Canada Goose

The period beginning on the 16th day of October in each year and ending on the 31st day of January in the year immediately following that year.

The counties of Cavan (exclusive of the townlands of Eonish Island, Rinn, Deramfield) and Leitrim (exclusive of the River Shannon).

Greylag Goose

The period beginning on the 1st day of September in each year and ending on the 15th day of October in the same year.

Throughout the State.

Greylag Goose

The period beginning on the 16th day of October in each year and ending on the 31st day of January in the year immediately following that year.

Lady's Island, in the county of Wexford Gearagh East & Gearagh West, in the county of Cork.
Curlew off the list now.

19 species without Curlew.

Poland:
Code:
Taiga Bean Goose             Anser fabalis        1 September - 21 December, in west to 31 January
Greater White-fronted Goose  Anser albifrons      1 September - 21 December, in west to 31 January
Greylag Goose                Anser anser          1 September - 21 December, in west to 15 January
Eurasian Teal                Anas crecca         15 August    - 21 December
Mallard                      Anas platyrhynchos  15 August    - 21 December
Common Pochard               Aythya ferina       15 August    - 21 December
Tufted Duck                  Aythya fuligula     15 August    - 21 December
Hazel Grouse                 Tetrastes bonasia    1 September - 30 November
Grey Partridge               Perdix perdix       11 September - 21 Ocotber, catching to 15 January
Common Pheasant              Phasianus colchicus  1 October   - end of February - cocks
                                                  1 October   - 31 January - hens, only in breeding centers
Eurasian Coot                Fulica atra         15 August    - 21 December
Eurasian Woodcock            Scolopax rusticola   1 September - 21 December
Common Wood Pigeon           Columba palumbus    15 August    - 30 November

Last edited:
This is the list of species that can be hunted in Scotland:

Canada Goose
Greylag Goose
Pink-footed Goose
Mallard
Pintail
Gadwall
Shoveler
Teal
Wigeon
Tufted Duck
Pochard
Goldeneye
Black Grouse
Red Grouse
Ptarmigan
Coot
Moorhen
Grey Partridge
Red-legged Partridge
Pheasant
Golden Plover
Common Snipe
Woodcock

All of these have close seasons in spring and summer when they can't be hunted

And why people hunt birds ? Does Woodcock attack them ? It is killed everywhere only for few feathers to a hat. Is Hazel Grouse or Eurasian Teal dangerous ? Why some of gulls are hunted ? Many people would vomit seeing their meat (if they are hunted for meat).
Only some geese can graze in crop fields on migration.

Last edited:
I was rather surprised by some of the species mentioned on the Scottish list - Ptarmigan and Black Grouse??!!:eek!::C

Are there any moves north of the border to have the list amended?

I was rather surprised by some of the species mentioned on the Scottish list - Ptarmigan and Black Grouse??!!:eek!::C

There's been a voluntary ban on Black Grouse shooting in the UK for many years. In England, at least, I think the largest rises in Black Grouse populations have been on shooting estates. In some instances it may be that shooting estates are hoping Black Grouse numbers may rise sufficiently for there to be a shootable surplus once more, so it is perhaps in their interest to preserve them. If the law was amended to protect them year round that incentive may be removed.

Few Ptarmigan are shot in the UK each year. I'm not sure if shooting pressure is a significant factor in their numbers but predation, overgrazing and disturbance are - all factors which may well be reduced on shooting estates.

Cheers
Jonathan

And why people hunt birds ? Does Woodcock attack them ? It is killed everywhere only for few feathers to a hat. Is Hazel Grouse or Eurasian Teal dangerous ? Why some of gulls are hunted ? Many people would vomit seeing their meat (if they are hunted for meat).

Woodcock is a traditional game bird in the UK along with snipe and curlew although few if any (particularly) of the latter are shot these days. Gentleman's agreements have existed over some species for a number of years but that does not always mean the species is formally moved from what we call the General License in the UK. Unfortunately, geese are also controllable for protecting crops but some of the rarer species require application for a Special License. There has been some revision to the lists over the last few years and the gull lit is now more complicated than it was before 2005 when the last major review (before the latest one) toiok place. Strangely enough, it is a complicated system yet it is relatively easy to circumvent (Alf, stop twitiching your leg) because the General License can be applied for retrospectively and online that is not necessarily a criticism but it does reflect how difficult it can be to judge what is happening from the sideline as it were.

As Saluki says, few estates shoot Ptarmigan and it is not likely to be a big threat to them, while most estates have a voluntary ban on black grouse shooting, although a few allow a limited number to be shot during red grouse shoots. Black Grouse have been doing well the last few years in the eastern Highlands so I don't know if that has changed things at all.

There are no plans to change the list (Schedule 2 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981) that I am aware of. There was an opportunity to change it with the Wildlife and Natural Environment Act 2011, but the only change was to add the gamebirds (Grouse, Pheasant and Partridges) to Schedule 2 instead of having them dealt with separately under ancient game laws, as had been the case previously.

The last species to be removed from Schedule 2 was Capercaillie (in 2001), and it was moved straight to Schedule 1 (strictly protected at all times). Bizarrely it remains legal to hunt Capercaillie in England and Wales (even though the species doesn't occur there), simply because the amendment to move it from Schedule 2 to Schedule 1 was an act of the Scottish Parliament post-devolution and didn't apply to England.

Last edited:
Woodcock is a traditional game bird in the UK along with snipe and curlew although few if any (particularly) of the latter are shot these days.

It has been illegal to hunt Curlew in England, Scotland and Wales since 1981 and in Northern Ireland since 2011. A lot of snipe and woodcock are still shot each winter. The woodcock and snipe are our most abundant wintering waders.

Gentleman's agreements have existed over some species for a number of years but that does not always mean the species is formally moved from what we call the General License in the UK. Unfortunately, geese are also controllable for protecting crops but some of the rarer species require application for a Special License. There has been some revision to the lists over the last few years and the gull lit is now more complicated than it was before 2005 when the last major review (before the latest one) toiok place. Strangely enough, it is a complicated system yet it is relatively easy to circumvent (Alf, stop twitiching your leg) because the General License can be applied for retrospectively and online that is not necessarily a criticism but it does reflect how difficult it can be to judge what is happening from the sideline as it were.

It's important not to confuse the general licences with Schedule 2 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 as they are different things.

Schedule 2 is the list of birds that you are permitted by law to hunt for sporting or food purposes during the open season. The list of birds I posted for Scotland shows the Schedule 2 species, and similar lists apply to other parts of the UK. Changing these lists requires legislation.

General licenses are issued on an annual basis and list 'pest' species that it would otherwise be illegal to kill, but which can be killed for specific purposes (crop and livestock protection, food safety, health and public safety etc.) by authorised persons. The general licenses contain various species of crow, gull and pigeon etc., but the lists of species are not enshrined in law (they used to be - forming part 2 of Schedule 2 until 1992). As a result the list of species covered by the general license can be changed by the statutory nature conservation agencies from year to year and do not require legislation to do this. For Scotland, the general licenses can be found here:

http://www.snh.gov.uk/protecting-scotlands-nature/species-licensing/bird-licensing/general/

Last edited:

It comes from deeply entrenched practices that have become "traditions", the upper classes hunted the large birds both for food and sport and prevented the poorer classes from doing the same, the poorer classes therefore hunted (small (none game) birds. Up until the early 20th century these small birds were for some people the only meat that they could either afford or legally obtain, and the same is perhaps still true in some countries today.

Note that apart from a few large birds such as swans it was the practice of nunting and killing of the birds and mammals that poorer people hunted (and actually needed for food) that were banned first (capture of very small "none game"birds such and rabbit coursing. At a later date the ban on badger baiting was probably more easily brought in because it was mostly practised by the lower classes whilst the equally cruel and objectional "sport" of fox hunting was practiced mostly by the upper classes. Rabbit coursing was banned long ago (in spite of rabbits officially being vermin and official attempts to erradicte them used) whereas Hare coursing (hares being a species that probably has little real negative impact on agriculture) was allowed to continue butcause it was also a sport of the upper classes.

I'm not against shooting per se but I am genuinely interested in why individuals feel the need to shoot birds when some of the species listed have declining breeding and/or wintering populations? Not being funny but it really can't be very exilerating to shoot Ptamigan? Goldfish in a barrel springs to mind.

In my view, shooting is pusued for a number of reasons :-

Food - if proven sustainable, then this should be acceptable although in UK and many other countries, is unlikely that people would starve if they couldn't feed from taking wild birds.

Pest control - if lawful and sustainable then fine.

Tradition - we should challenge traditions where species are declining and where shooting may or may not be making matters worse. There are many things in life that are no longer deemed acceptable despite being traditional over past millenia.

Fun - this is the one I genuinly struggle with and I simply can't grasp why anyone would want to destroy something just because they can.

I'm sure others may have a view including other reasons.

Few more resons:
- money
- trophy
- population regulation in areas lacking natural predators
- removal of animals infected by rabies or other really dangerous animals

Most important in the world covered by human made so called forests is population regulation (to defeat cultivated trees) - very frequently strongly abused reason. Actually at least tradition, fun, money and trophy are not acceptable at all. However perhaps this is kind of payment for hunters to do really needed things. Because no one would buy wepon to shot only animals infected by rabies.

Last edited:
Many hunters have obsession to shoot at anything. A bit of a quirk. Not enough to put a person in mental institution, but not completely normal either.

There are many kinds of hunters, naturalist hunters, subsistence hunters in tropics etc. But what you get in average Western country is often that. Many hunters have very low opinion of "average hunter". And I have hunter friends, and yes, they agree.

This makes hunters extremely dangerous. Frustrated hunter often shoots at something moving in bushes, which his imagination wants to be a deer or a bird. And this "something" turns to be a human.

And don't ask me about shooting protected birds on waterfowl hunts...

This image illustrates my bewilderment at what drives human beings to want to lead such a destructive existence - it seems to run contrary to the way we should be logically wired to protect our environment??

Ok not a bird but what's wrong with these guys?

On a UK basis, I believe that Snipe, Woodcock, Golden Plover, Grey Partridge & Black Grouse should for starters be removed from the list of birds that can be legally shot - until such time that populations are thriving and expanding.

Attachments

• rhino.jpg
    rhino.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
It is interesting to see which species (non hunters) like myself and most on this forum find taboo to hunt. True, for some it is all species.

After living in the wintering range of Sandhill Cranes for 30 years - I've always been put off by their being hunted in other States. Seems wrong.

Then again - an Achuar guide we had for a week in Eastern Ecuador also hunted everything we saw (but back on his home range) with 2 styles of blowgun. A long one for big things up high. A short one for antbirds, mannikens, etc. The latter the most fun and challenging. Ate them all. Tapirs don't come along every day.

In the colonies - deer are a crop. In parts of Africa some folks preserve big things so rich folk can shoot them. Coot are shot out here and discarded. Poor coot. Love them. Advanced humans seem to be the weirdest.

And I just came back from Africa.

This image illustrates my bewilderment at what drives human beings to want to lead such a destructive existence - it seems to run contrary to the way we should be logically wired to protect our environment??

Ok not a bird but what's wrong with these guys?

It's their Pleistocene time machine. Should be using an atlatl, clovis points, and women drivers though. The other kind of driver.

It has been illegal to hunt Curlew in England, Scotland and Wales since 1981 and in Northern Ireland since 2011. A lot of snipe and woodcock are still shot each winter. The woodcock and snipe are our most abundant wintering waders.

I feel sure it was after 1981 but after doing a bit of research, I cannot find a definitive date so I happily retract my point about the curlew. What has been particularly confusing is that legislation in England and Wales has consistently lagged behind Scottish legislation.

It's important not to confuse the general licences with Schedule 2 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 as they are different things.

General licenses are issued on an annual basis and list 'pest' species that it would otherwise be illegal to kill, but which can be killed for specific purposes (crop and livestock protection, food safety, health and public safety etc.) by authorised persons. The general licenses contain various species of crow, gull and pigeon etc., but the lists of species are not enshrined in law (they used to be - forming part 2 of Schedule 2 until 1992). As a result the list of species covered by the general license can be changed by the statutory nature conservation agencies from year to year and do not require legislation to do this.

True enough, again there are differences between the Scottish system and that in England and Wales. The system is both good an bad in that it allowed house sparrow and common starling to removed without undue fuss but potentially opens the way for species such as the great cormorant to be introduced without fuss either. Incidentally, anyone carrying out controls is expected to submit what they have done with a reasons why and detailing how many individuals have been taken. Probably the biggest flaw in this system is that there is very little real control involved. I am not going to make a prediction which species (possiby not one currently listed or likely to be listed in the near future) will be involved but sooner or later the system will certainly be abused to the point of causing a species to decline.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back