• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I like slow focus (1 Viewer)

etc

I understand the concept behind fast focus but consider why slow focus has been with us for decades. It allows one to fine-tune into a scene. Fast focus is great when moving between different distances but the downside it's more difficult to fine tune.

I get that. My newest bin has a slow focuser but is optically wonderful. I feel like I can really fine tune it to a wonderful sharpness. I like both however so I have both.

I understand the concept behind fast focus but consider why slow focus has been with us for decades. It allows one to fine-tune into a scene. Fast focus is great when moving between different distances but the downside it's more difficult to fine tune.

Could not agree more.

... In addition, it is a great feature in hot environments in which FAST focus binos could be de-focused by a stiff breeze.
BC, you think the focus on the EII is a bit stiff. Count your many blessings.:cat:

Bill

Last edited:
Focus speed needs to suit the owner and the owners pursuits. For me, I look at every living thing I see, near and far and slow focus is never going to suit.

For birds only, or hunting / general glassing, slow and precise focus is great - I love it on my HT - but the Conquest is more versatile and is reached for almost every time that things other than birds might be observed.

I don't mind the focus in my 2008 vintage Swaro EL. It could be just a bit slower however. I think they increased the speed several times between the original late 90's model and today.

Fast focus is nice at times but at the price of granularity loss. I like granularity and fine focus resolution.

I don't mind the focus in my 2008 vintage Swaro EL. It could be just a bit slower however. I think they increased the speed several times between the original late 90's model and today.

Fast focus is nice at times but at the price of granularity loss. I like granularity and fine focus resolution.

I think it should be pointed out that there are two major kinds of slow focus.

1) Slow focus due to a greater number of revolutions (or fractions) to get the instrument to move from one image to another at a greater or lesser distance.

2) Slow focus due to the focus mechanism being lubricated with a grease of higher viscosity. :cat:

Bill

Last edited:
... In addition, it is a great feature in hot environments in which FAST focus binos could be de-focused by a stiff breeze.
BC, you think the focus on the EII is a bit stiff. Count your many blessings.:cat:

Bill

It wasn't a blessing today. I could not get quick birds in focus before they were outta there. It was close viewing and they were on the move. It was frustrating. Had I instead had the Genesis I would have gotten a better peak at some of them. I find using two fingers helps a little.

It wasn't a blessing today. I could not get quick birds in focus before they were outta there. It was close viewing and they were on the move. It was frustrating. Had I instead had the Genesis I would have gotten a better peak at some of them. I find using two fingers helps a little.

Because you didn’t recognize it, it doesn’t follow that it wasn’t.

You will also find the binos with sloppy focus wheels may not offer you the QUALITY of focus you would like. From what you have said, it is plain your problem rests with the bird’s desire to move quickly—and NOT the binocular. You need a combination of experience and a firm grip on what is really important to you. Using a binocular is not “rocket science.” So, don’t over-think the operation. Take your bino, be glad it is a great one, and go enjoy the nature around you. When in water over your head, you don’t need to know how deep it is; you need to know how to swim. :cat:

Bill

theres something to be said for these inexpensive camlink 8x25 then, and for owning just one binocular!
i dont know whether they are fast or slow but they adjust with just a slide of the finger over a good few metres, stop quickly and firmly then fine tune with just an easy wiggle back and forth. then they hold such that i can pick them up hours later, look at the previous focus point/distance for calibration and they are still spot on or never away more than my eye itself can adjust. what would you define as fast focus? do you have a ratio of percentage of wheel turn per distance or is it a different mechanical action?

You bet there are advantages to that. You don't have to spend a lot of money you can use to live on. You don't have to drive yourself half crazy with indecision and dissatisfaction and you can focus on the scenery in contentment. You my friend are one of my idols here. You are a wiser man than I. At least in some ways.

You bet there are advantages to that. You don't have to spend a lot of money you can use to live on. You don't have to drive yourself half crazy with indecision and dissatisfaction and you can focus on the scenery in contentment. You my friend are one of my idols here. You are a wiser man than I. At least in some ways.

Flattery will get you ... EVERYWHERE! :cat:

Bill

except i dont understand half of what you americans think is plain talk!
mind you i only understand 2/3 of what normal people speak
and the locals round here speak 'urgle blurgle wibble cun?'

i have no idea why you call me wise either. i have one chair, a sidetable and live on porridge and bananas, but thanks, i like you both as well, not that i am a good judge ...

I like efficient focus = fast _and_ precise

More binoculars need to be engineered with variable-ratio focus, which does away with the trade-off between speed and precision. So far, the only models I've encountered have been from Brunton, Pentax, and Minox. I'd sure like to see this in the next iteration of one of the optically premium bins. Swarovski, are you listening? Let's have variable ratio focus in the next EL so that its close focus ability is of practical use for birding+butterflying.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back