• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon FSA-L1 Fieldscope Digiscoping SLR Camera Adapter (1 Viewer)

gandytron

Nikon FSA-L1 Fieldscope Digiscoping SLR Camera Adapter on 60mm Scope?

Hi All,

Does anybody use this adapter which connects your Nikon Fieldscope to a Nikon DSLR? Is it any good? (ie better/worse than using P5100 P&S)

I have a 60mm ED Fieldscope III, and a Nikon D50 (soon to be upgraded to D90) - what sort of image quality can I expect from this combination? I've seen a number of threads on BF relating to this adapter, but most seem to detail use with the 78mm or 82mm scopes.

Thanks

Dave

Last edited:
I have tested this with ED82, but unfortunately, the images from this setup looked soft even with good lights around. I assume with EDIII, the shutter speed will be a bit slower.

Yeah, I shot with the FSA-L1 and the EDIII for one day. 60mm is just too small aperture for the dSLR at F13. Had much better results with ED82. I think with the EDIII I would go with a digicam and maybe the new Nikon Swing-out adapter FSB-U1. But if you are set on using the D90 then get the new 35mm F1.8 lens to shoot behind the 24x DS eyepiece on the UBK bracket.

Rick

Sorry, no idea if it will be sold outside Japan. But I think they finally wised up and realized it was silly to make a new adapter for every new digicam, e.g. the P6000.

Cheers,
Rick

Nikon does not say specifically nor do they give any camera dimensions. A dealer I spoke with said it should allow most popular digicams from Nikon or another OEM. The main spec is it designed to work with Nikon DS-sized eyepieces.

Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back