• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings: ASDA vrs Sainsburys (1 Viewer)

Nick French

Following on from the well established thread on Scillies vrs Shetland I thought we should take it a step further and state which major UK retailer has the best car park to observe Waxwings. The attached graph shows the number of waxwings recorded over the last weekend (10 -11 Nov) "by" major retailers as recorded on Rare Bird Alert. Other sources of rare bird information are available.

The clear winner in terms of numbers was ASDA with 300 Waxwings recorded in Hull, but that was the only ASDA store that troubled the scorer. The most successful retailer in being able to attract Waxwings to three of it's sites was Sainsburys with birds recorded in Middlesbrough, Hessle & Altrincham.

I fully expect these leading stores to use Waxwing counts as a measure of their green credentials in the future. 8-P

Attachments

• waxwing.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 107
From the archive...

I took this in Poole, Dorset on Christmas day 2010.

Attachments

• wax.jpg
    wax.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 137
10 outside Iceland HQ with on site shop (triple points as HQ?) at Deeside Industrail Park, Flintshire last Thursday.

Last edited:
Now this is more like it, what a fantastic idea! :t:

There's a Waxwing flock at the Octagon Retail Park in Stoke, enjoying the deep-fried berries outside Burger King! With Mecca Bingo over the road, sounds like a day out from heaven.

Following on from the well established thread on Scillies vrs Shetland I thought we should take it a step further and state which major UK retailer has the best car park to observe Waxwings. The attached graph shows the number of waxwings recorded over the last weekend (10 -11 Nov) "by" major retailers as recorded on Rare Bird Alert. Other sources of rare bird information are available.

The clear winner in terms of numbers was ASDA with 300 Waxwings recorded in Hull, but that was the only ASDA store that troubled the scorer. The most successful retailer in being able to attract Waxwings to three of it's sites was Sainsburys with birds recorded in Middlesbrough, Hessle & Altrincham.

I fully expect these leading stores to use Waxwing counts as a measure of their green credentials in the future. 8-P

I had at least 200 outside the Spar (a 'Super Spar' in fact) in Kincorth, Aberdeen on Saturday.

Where does Tesco fit into this? Is it the supermarket equivalent of western Ireland - creeping up on the inside to overtake both Scilly and Shetland with its haul of megas?

I don't think we should ignore the 'smaller' chains. 9 Waxwings outside a local Costcutter over the weekend.

No Asda's at any supermarkets in my area - maybe they anti-capitalist and prefer to shop at smaller stores? The ones in Barrow, Lancashire prefer to eat berries near or on the grounds of an Italian restaurant - they have good taste!

Inverness its Tesco.

I actually thought it was a dark broiling cloud of Starlings till they stripped the trees and fled like the masked bery thieves they are.

My experience of retail store waxwings over the last 5 years or so is Morrisons and B&Q, flocks of about 10 each, with the winner being a flock of 30+ at Tesco.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back