• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Philippines (part 1). Luzon, Bohol, Cebu and Palawan … (1 Viewer)

. Anyone entering the university area needed a pass and to do the Makelin trail you needed to get a pass the day before which fortunately Jops was able to do so, but anyone getting to Makelin after 4.00pm would probably struggle to get access next day. We just had time to find Coppersmith Barbet, Plain fronted Sunburn and Philippine Falconet before the light fadedand it was back to SEARCA guest house where the rooms were modern and well appointed .

looks like things have got tougher recently re access then. Which sunbird did you mean by Plain fronted folks? A few of the Phil sunbirds have been split. If you meant Plain-throated, then at leat IOC split the Philippine form from the SE Asian forms, as Grey-throated, in case that's good news :)

and nice one for the live coverage :t:

between good and bad mountain

ah it doesn't matter, its great to read anyway!

We will be in Mt Mak area pretty late on in our trip (only Palawan after), so will be a useful guide for us to possibly mop up any bits that we may have missed. Can you be more specific on the location of the small reserve at Bangkong Valley

Locals know it as valley between good and bad mountains it was about an hour from San Pablo near a big Shrine and CHURCH

I did

looks like things have got tougher recently re access then. Which sunbird did you mean by Plain fronted folks? A few of the Phil sunbirds have been split. If you meant Plain-throated, then at leat IOC split the Philippine form from the SE Asian forms, as Grey-throated, in case that's good news :)

and nice one for the live coverage :t:

I DId thanks for info, one more to add

Mskiling

Ps previous afternoon we did make it to the dairy farm site to look for the Button Quail . The birds were there but only i saw them when they were flushed by a farmer . however we all then saw a lovely rough crested Malkoa . Next day a 4.30 start for us but Eguy had already been down to mcdonalds to pick up our take away breakfasts -while we were waiting we had another look at the Hawk Owl behind the main building. After seeing the owl we had a quick breakfast and got the jeepney up to Agila point . Birding started well with two Luzon Hawk Owl going into their day roost . We heard a Spotted Wood Kingfisher but didn't pursue it as we had already had good views at La Mesa . Flowerpecker and sunbirds were quite active with Buzzing, Red Keeled and Striped Flowerpecker before the absolutely gorgeous Flaming and Handsome Sunbirds. We really struggled to find the more glamorous species and had to make do with Black and White Triller, Blackish Cuckoo Shrike, Ballicassio and Mountain White Eye . Last two birds of the morning were Chinese Goshawk and Philippine Falconet . After a quick sandwich lunch it was off to the botanic garden where we picked up Guabero , Colassi and two final sunbirds were, Purple Throated and Mettalic Winged . We saw no sign of Indigo Banded Kingfisher. Overnight in Manila before driving to Candaba .

Candaba and Subic

Another early start and fast food breakfast this time at BK about 40 minutes from Candaba. Tried some Birding along sise the road by the rice fields where we got nice views of Barred Rail , Clamorous Reed Warbler , and then first lifer of the day ,White Browed Crake . We then found a very productive reed bed where we flushed a Black Bittern and then we got good views of Cinnamon and Yellow Bittern. We had waders on the exposed mud which were mainly Wood Sandpipers but we also saw Black Winged Stilt Kentish Plover and Grey Tailed Tatler. Ducks were congregated at two main areas which meant that viewing in numbers was quite easy . There were over 200 Philippine ducks on the pond so no problem with that lifer then! Then lots of familiar faces from home including Pintail, Teal ,Garganey and Tufted Duck . On the next pool which was surrounded by 70 Purple Herons , and there was a gathering of Wandering Whistling Ducks and on the lilly leaves there were no fewer than 13 Philippine Swamp Hens .There were also a few doves, Red turtle, Philippine /Island collared and Zebra while in the air were also Blue-Throated Bee-eater , and Common Kingfisher . We left by 10.30 and were in Subic by 12.30 where we were staying at Mountain Woods Hotel . Quite birder friendly place which were happy to accomodate early breakfast and late check out etc. We set off at 3.30 for first bird watch with the aim of walking the Nabusan trail (N OTE CURRENTLY HILL 384 IS INACCESSIBLE TO ALL DUE TO BLASTING)

However you still need a permit bought in advance (although we only had to show ours once to a security jobsworth who was questioning our right to be there. It wasnt a great first session but we did still get a partially obscured Philippine Hawk Eagle and an in flight Philippine Serpent Eagle, Blue Naped Parrot and while i was photographing a Whiskered Tree Swift Jops and Sarah saw a fly over Green Raquet Tail . We then headed down to the lower part of the trail where there is mostly drilled out telegraph post ,obviously good for Woodpeckers but not for us today -shame . However we did get a Colletto , and female Fire Breasted Flowerpecker. Then time to try calling White Browed Sharma, which responded really well but didn't show, we then tried for Chocolate Boobok and got some calls back from an Owl of some sort but the views weren't great as it was pretty dark, shape was right but need to listen to more calls or leave as Owl(sp). We carried on owing before and after dinner but heard Eagle, Scops and Hawk owls but none showed.
Other wildlife included Long-tailed Macaque, Philippine giant fruit bat and Golden Crowned Flying Fox. (Bats at La Escudera we were told were Philippine Pygmy fruit bat.
The next day was full one at Subic with drive back to Manila after dark, we should certainly have given ourselves another morning here.
We had early breakfast and got to Bunker area for a lovely little WhiteFronted Try and to Woodpeckers area for not long after first t light. In the fruiting trees were flocks of Blue-naped Parrot, Coleto and Guiabero.

Last edited:
subic continued

First we tried calling a White Browed Sharma. The bird responded well and came in to within ten feet from us but because of where we were positioned only Jops had an uninterrupted view. The Tailorbird while vocal did not show, but we did get 8 Purple Needletails over and soon after got 5 Green Racket-tails, flight views which i finally got on. It was then back to the Nabusan trail where the Shama advertised his presence , after just a quick bit of playback showed reasonably well. We then spent the last few moments of available light watching Sooty and Flameback Woodpeckers drilling holes in a post . Then the long drive back to Manilla where we stayed at the Bayleaf Hotel within the walls of the old city . Step up in luxury here and had a nice dinner on the sky deck with great views over the city and sipping gin and tonic until we finally gave in to tiredness around midnight . Anyone wanting to earn a few brownie points with a partner would do well to consider this place !

last thought on Luzon and trip to Bohol

Manilla to Bohol
Leisurely breakfast then walk along the old wall beside the Manilla golf course . Only birds seen were Asian Starling ,Island Collared Dove ,and Philippine Bulbul then off to the airport for our flight to Bohol . Just a reminder Jops is available to guide at weekends or to sort out taxi trip to La Mesa and Polygglyphs. It may be worth using him as sites are about to close for refurbished so you will someone who know the museum staff. Jops is on +63 9177163761. Jops also has his own transport.
Reflecting on Luzon we should probably have given ourselves an extra morning at Subic and Makling. I reckon we were about ten to fifteen birds down on our pre-trip target
We were pretty concerned about how badly Bohol had been impacted by the earthquake and typhoon . Although they were not badly directly impacted by the typhoon, because their power all comes from Leyte which had been badly hit they had no power for over two months so some said it was worse than the earthquake though evidence of the earthquake is everywhere with two churches devastated and a lot of the major roads having diversions (But all passable just allow extra time for travel). The chocolate hills visitor centre and hotel were devastated however you can still visit they have put some temporary structures up at the viewing platform just be careful . In Bohol we had arranged to stay 4nights at Simply Butterflies on a birding package with three days guiding and we had been told this would be with Ryan Sugala but on arrival were disappointed to be told that Ryan was unavailable on a ten day contract with a TV company [filming Calugas }.Instead we had been offered the services of a local spotter who spoke no English but we would have an interpreter . Alarmm bells were now ringing. We were told this spotter is very good he will get you Steere's Pitta, Rufous-lored Kingfisher and other good birds.
Simply Butterflies is a simply hotel to get room cleaned or bins emptied you have to request it, but rooms are pretty comfortable - we were in hut 2, advised this is best room and it has a new shower. On arrival we had a little session but only saw Maggie Robin, Philippine Bulbul, Chestnut Munia, Asian Starling and then a Lesser Coucal.
Food and drink was good and very inexpensive. The biggest selling point is proximity to Rajah Sitakuna. We could be at Magsaysay park in 15 minutes. So it was that the 4 of arrived about 20 minutes before dawn and things started promisingly, we had three Great-eared Nightjars hawking moths over the park, then 5 Samur Hornbills came into a fruiting tree and before proper sun up we were watching a gorgeous little Silvery Kingfisher on the pool next to the Kitchen, he seems to be regular here and only disappears when disturbed for an hour or two. However, once we had entered the forest trails his technique became really weird he whistled a Philippine Oriole it called back but instead of waiting for us to get on it he moved quickly up the trail under a tree where 3 Philippine Tailorbird were whizzing around but he wanted me to play the Pitta call I ignored him and played mixed flock angle got Visayayan Wattled Broadbill which showed very briefly only me and the interpreter got a sighting

Last edited:
Looking forward to more. We had a great and productive time at Rajah Sitakuna, and enjoyed our stay at the butterfly place, which we stumbled upon by accident. We found trying to see those pesky calling Philippine Orioles really hard work, and it took a long time to eventually see one. Only disappointment was missing the 2 birds I most was hoping to see there, Steere's Pitta and the broadbill, so nice one for seeing the broadbill already :t:

are there still scops owls in the decaying toilet block in the clearing? The Bohol form's split from the Philippine Scops you saw on Luzon, as Everett's now.

Last edited:
no owl at toilet

Looking forward to more. We had a great and productive time at Rajah Sitakuna, and enjoyed our stay at the butterfly place, which we stumbled upon by accident. We found trying to see those pesky calling Philippine Orioles really hard work, and it took a long time to eventually see one. Only disappointment was missing the 2 birds I most was hoping to see there, Steere's Pitta and the broadbill, so nice one for seeing the broadbill already :t:

are there still scops owls in the decaying toilet block in the clearing? The Bohol form's split from the Philippine Scops you saw on Luzon, as Everett's now.

Thanks for advised on split

more apologies

Haven't posted last two episodes as Sarah said i was grumpy and too harsh, where I've been a bit under the weather; particularly about our spotter,so she is taken editorial control hopefully be back soon Typhoon permitting

ps photos and cleaned version will be posted on return

Think I had the same guide 18 mths ago after Ryan was a non-show despite speaking to him the day before.
Looking fwd to resumption of editorial control; grumpy or otherwise

Haven't posted last two episodes as Sarah said i was grumpy and too harsh, where I've been a bit under the weather; particularly about our spotter, so she is taken editorial control hopefully be back soon Typhoon permitting

ps photos and cleaned version will be posted on return

Chin up, heads up and find them birds :t: and of course looking forward to the reports again

Rajah Sitakuna day 1 (via Sarah edit)

The morning continued in this vein doing a route march around Braminhy, Oriole and Tarictic trail until a Steere's Pitta Called but despite just about as much playback as was comfortable with it didn't show. We then went to Pitta area on B2A map where we exhausted the Phone and speaker but at least we did some proper birding and found Streaked Ground Babbler a lovely little bird. We then had a conversation that went something like, i cant bird without callback, me via Interpreter, you cant bird period. If we go with you this PM, you need to slow and walk at the back. After getting things charged he kept the new routine for all of 15 minutes, before reverting to type. He did have the excuse that the camera crew had been doing playback for last 9 days. So he suggested we go to different sight tomorrow, which was easier walking albeit you had wade across a river. I told Jubert we would not be using S tomorrow. Only birds that afternoon were Coleto, Hornbills, Green Imperial pigeon.
I rang Jops to see if he could pull a favour and get Ryan for one or two days. We could but only for the second day, so we decided to go birding in Chocolate Hills and then to the Philippine Tarsier sanctuary. However message didn't get through and he turned up at 5am. We explained change of plan and he left. We assume he got paid as we paid for Ryan. For those staying at Simply Butterflies suggest you deal with Ryan direct his email is [email protected]
Tel 639208276374.
We just classed it as a bit of blip. Ryan charges 1500 pesos a full day and would welcome contact by individuals he is already used by groups

Chocolate Hills and Tarsier sanctuary

So we went with just Jubert our driver to Chocolate Hills at dawn. A nice mist shrouded the hills and gave them an ethereal look that I've seen in photos. I think i mentioned in an earlier post about the damage but seeing the hotel hanging over a now cliff edge and the damage to the viewing area, brings it home how frightening it would have been at 8.15 that Oct morning, they had implemented a one way system up and down but as their were only two other people about we wandered at will. First bird of the morning was Blue Rock Thrush sitting on the top of the wrecked hotel. There were plenty of Striped Swallows and lots of switlets including Pygmy and Philippine but there was much chunkier bird which i failed to photograph which but that we thought was a Whitehead's. Does anyone know if they are recorded on Bohol or could they come across / down to escape a upcoming storm.
We then birded the road down and forested area under the road. Within a few minutes we had a nice mixed flock but Jubert pointed out a pair of Philippine Orioles in a tree just beyond our Bulbuls, Fanttails and Black-naped Orioles other birds we had seen before like Red-keeled and Pygmy Flowerpecker, Grey-streaked Flycatcher, White-browed Brown Dove, we were about to ignore another before we noticed call was different, it was Amethyst Brown Dove. We then took the fairly long drive to the Philippine Tarsier Sanctuary which is a major tranche of protected forest with a one hectare area fenced off. The fence keeps most predators out but Tarsiers can come and go at will. These are real wild Tarsiers not like some other facilitities that let you hold them and probably injure the poor creatures before putting them back in a cage. Here the 4 staff go out at first light and usually find a couple of Tarsier that are viewable, if they can't find any in the inner area they look at the surrounding forest but this is rarely necessary. We had just entered the reserve when we spotted an Orange Tree Snake which we got some good shots off, locals didn't know the name but said it was very venomous. You can only walk the trails with a member of staff, it's easy to see why when some less educated tourists want to shake a tree or make a noise to get the photo on their phones. They were quickly moved on and told it isn't a zoo. Anyway we were in luck they had found 1 male and 3 females this morning two were in very good position to view with Binoculars and to get a few better than expected shots by setting up on the tripod and taking nice long exposures as obviously you can't use flash. We even had the bonus of one opening half an eye then the other. So we are ticking that as wild Philippine Tarsier. Only other birds in the sanctuary area were Olive-backed and Purple-throateed Sunbirds. In keeping with our touristy day we had lunch on floating restaurant in Loboc, we did feel like fish out of water but managed fleeting views of Silvery Kingfisher and Common Sandpiper.

With hindsight

Think I had the same guide 18 mths ago after Ryan was a non-show despite speaking to him the day before.
Looking fwd to resumption of editorial control; grumpy or otherwise

We should have just gone up there and ask one of the rangers to show us the trails. the guy obviously had great eyes even when you new the Coluga was there it was difficult but he has no idea of birdwatching

bit missed and Rajah Sitakuna

It was decision time . Do we go for afternoon birding at RSPL or crash out for afternoon. We decided to crash outfor the afternoon and then do some late afternoon birding around the grounds where the only bird of interest was the Philippine Hawk Cuckoo which Sarah spotted and managed to get me on.

Another early start but saw Malay Civet on way to meet fet Ryan at the Magsaysay Ranger station . Similar start to our earlier start with Great Eared Nightjar Hornbill and Silvery Kingfisher all seen before sunrise . It was clear that ryans style was much more suited to ours. He was happy to take shorter walks depending on bird activity. The first mixed flock contained Blue Fantail, Black-crowned Babbler, Philippine Leaf-warbler all target species. We did try a few playback attempts for Steere's Pitta but not a single response.
However Ryan heard a distant Yellow Breasted Tailor Bird on the Brahminy trai and after walking to the area where the bird was calling he tried a bit of playback . I have to say the little blighter was determined to give us the run around before we were able to get identifiable sightings . We then decided to try for Rufous Lored Kingfisher . We tried this on the first trail on the left after the concrete tunnel stopping at a row of trees where Ryan called and it responded but flew immediately to the top of the canopy . Tbe next playback saw the bird drop into the mid storey when i said " i've got it , it's here " at which point obviously it flew so we only got flight views .
For lunch simply butterflies had arranged to send us over a spread . We started to get worried when it was a little late . Hope they are ok says Sarah . Then we saw Jupert come over the hill - the motorbike had broken down a few miles back and Ryan had run with as much as he could carry - what great customer service :) Ryan drove his mororbike back on a rescue mission and when all were back we settled down to eat our lunch at a table in the rangers families accomodation where they had set it out for us nicely . How very accomodating of them to let us essentially take over their front room - they even found us a fork and spoon when we realised the guys hadn't left any cutlery . After lunch Ryan had a siesta while we tried to nail a good photo of the Silvery Billed Kingfisher and kept an eye on the fruiting tree . only Coletos Hornbill and Asian Starling showed . Resuming in afternoon the rain restarted following showers over lunch. We did get a nice view of Philippine Drongo Cuckoo and stunning views of the recently split Bohol sunbird. We then started to walk up the Tarsier trail where Ryan asked us if we were happy to continue as the rain was getting heavier . We decided to continue and saw a flameback . further down the path a Trogan called and flew to the high side of the trail . We all expected the Trogan to be at least 10 foot high up so had our bins up . Unfortunately it had decided to stop only 5feet up so Sarah dipped .

Bohol to Cebu

Ryan and I tried calling and scanning for at least 20 minutes but we just couldn't relocate the Trogon. Sarah doesn't mind missing the odd good bird, she had dipped on Buttonquail and Broadbill with no real anger or sadness but this was different it was Philippine Trogon and Trogon's are top of her wish list in any country they occur, I could sense her despondency and for the first time ever, I wished i hadn't seen a bird, that would have meant that Sarah wouldn't have missed it, if it was just a guide/tour leader etc who had failed to get anyone on it but as i had seen it she had missed it. The rest of the afternoon was a pretty subdued affair and we didn't even have a single Fruit Dove in the red fruit tree when we came off the trail and the drizzle stayed constant. Last night at Butterflies and we would certainly recommend it .
There was no major birding on travel day, with only bird spotted on ferry to Cebu being a Sooty Tern. When we arrived in Cebu our driver told us that we were going to be hit by a Typhoon but not to worry because it wasn't a strong one!!
Plan for Cebu is simple; afternoon of arrival relax, day 2 - Olanga Island, day 3 -
Try for a few of the rarest birds on the planet.

The morning continued in this vein doing a route march around Braminhy, you need to slow and walk at the back. After getting things charged he kept the new routine for all of 15 minutes, before reverting to type.

That reminds me that I need to pack my trainers for this trip ;)

Trogon's are top of her wish list in any country they occur, I could sense her despondency........ Now Try for a few of the rarest birds on the planet.

This deep disappointment may soon be turned to gold with some of the potential world beating sightings on Cebu :t:

I am getting itchy feet.... 21 days for me (and fellow BF member Goyter) and counting down
Keep the reports coming and of course good luck on Cebu

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back