Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

2019 UK Orchids

Old Monday 8th July 2019, 19:52   #101
muba

Hutton Roof Crags

Finally I have had the opportunity to visit Hutton Roof Crags in Cumbria for the Epipactis atrorubens that grow there. Its a bit of a climb over rough ground, but I have tackled worse on crutches! There are two dangers here. First is the ticks that many have encountered, so we tucked trousers into socks as a bit of protection. Second is the fact that this is limestone pavement country, wiith clints and grykes where you can twist an ankle or worse.
The Dark Red Helleborins are worth it though. Here there and everywhere, perhaps over 2000 plants. And unlike Bishop Middleham where they are fairly unform in colour, these have deepest red plants (atroatrorubens?), lemon petalled plants (var bicolor) and very pale forms (var pallens). I came away feeling well pleased
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roof1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	699326  Click image for larger version

Name:	roof2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	699327  Click image for larger version

Name:	roof3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	699328  Click image for larger version

Name:	roof4.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	699329  

Last edited by muba : Monday 8th July 2019 at 19:56.
Old Monday 8th July 2019, 20:01   #102
muba

Hutton Roof Crags 2

A few more photos. First is an unusual DRH where the flower spike has divided low down. Second is the natural hybrid of the DRH and the BLH (not in flower yet) - E. x schmallhausenii. And a view looking across Cunbria showing the pavement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	roof6.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	699330  Click image for larger version

Name:	roof7.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	699331  Click image for larger version

Name:	roof8.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	699332  
Old Monday 8th July 2019, 20:04   #103
muba

Rhodchila

One of the orchids on my must see list is the rhodochila form of the Common Spotted Orchid. There was an opportunity to look for one on the return from Cumbria. Not the best example, and starting to go over, but worthy of a tick I reckon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rhodd.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	699333  

Last edited by muba : Monday 8th July 2019 at 21:38.
Old Monday 8th July 2019, 21:39   #104
Karen Farmer
Kip

2019 UK Orchids

This morning I saw what I think is a large cluster of Early Purple's on the verge of the M11 between the Bishop's Stortford and Harlow exits. Unfortunately I was doing 70 mph and not able to do more than glimpse them in passing.

There is a scattering of what might also be Early Purple's growing in rough grass beside the traffic lights at the Harlow exit. Those I saw from closer - but again, no time to stop and look as the lights changed almost at once.
Old Monday 8th July 2019, 21:47   #105
muba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Farmer View Post
This morning I saw what I think is a large cluster of Early Purple's on the verge of the M11 between the Bishop's Stortford and Harlow exits. Unfortunately I was doing 70 mph and not able to do more than glimpse them in passing.

There is a scattering of what might also be Early Purple's growing in rough grass beside the traffic lights at the Harlow exit. Those I saw from closer - but again, no time to stop and look as the lights changed almost at once.
I doubt they were Early Purples. The clue is in the word Early. You may just find the odd very late flowering EPO in late June, but not a cluster. I saw EPOs in seed growing at 700 foot two days ago.
If that was on the M6 in lancs I'd say they could be Northern Marsh Orchids. Could they be Pyramidals?

Last edited by muba : Monday 8th July 2019 at 22:27.
Old Tuesday 9th July 2019, 11:48   #106
Karen Farmer
Kip

2019 UK Orchids

They could well be. I've haven't seen any Pyramidal's locally so far, though I've seen them growing in both Luton and Dunstable (upwards of 25 miles away). Yesterday's flower spikes looked rounded at the top, not tapering like the Pyramidal's I saw, although that was a fleeting impression and could be wrong. We get Southern Marsh orchids locally, so it could be those but somehow the pink seemed wrong for that, and the local SM tend to produce long spikes and these were compact.

I am sure that they were orchids, but that is about as definite as I can be. None of the locations are readily accessible, which should mean that they are safe, hopefully.
Old Tuesday 9th July 2019, 21:59   #107
muba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Farmer View Post
They could well be. I've haven't seen any Pyramidal's locally so far, though I've seen them growing in both Luton and Dunstable (upwards of 25 miles away). Yesterday's flower spikes looked rounded at the top, not tapering like the Pyramidal's I saw, although that was a fleeting impression and could be wrong. We get Southern Marsh orchids locally, so it could be those but somehow the pink seemed wrong for that, and the local SM tend to produce long spikes and these were compact.

I am sure that they were orchids, but that is about as definite as I can be. None of the locations are readily accessible, which should mean that they are safe, hopefully.
They are probably orchids. Pyramidals don't always live up to their name. A minority that I see are conical in shape. Some willl appear globular and others columnar. A good number are closer to a semi-globular shape. And then all shapes inbetween of course.
Old Wednesday 10th July 2019, 13:13   #108
Bodhyfryd

Minera Lead Mines

We ventured back to Minera Lead Mines today to explore another part of it. It was a very rewarding walk! On a path very close to the Lead Mines Visitor Centre, we found many BLH (?) yet to flower (in fact these are freely scattered throughout the area, as of course are the CSO's), but well on the way, Pyramidal Orchids (actually growing by the roadside), hundreds and hundreds of CSO, including an Albino with no markings at all, and a couple of Bees - almost over, but still just about in flower. Very easy walking, and thoroughly enjoyable.

If you are within touch of this area, it is very well worth a visit.

We would certainly agree with MUBA, that Sweeney Fen is a wonderful place to go!

Martin and Elaine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Minera Lead Mines meadow.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	621.8 KB
ID:	699455  Click image for larger version

Name:	CSO Albino Minera Lead Mines  2.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	699456  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pyramidal Minera.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	699458  Click image for larger version

Name:	Bee Minera LM meadow  1.JPG
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	699459  
Old Wednesday 10th July 2019, 17:42   #109
muba

I can vouch for the Broad-leaved Helleborines at the Miners lead mines. They grow all around the visitor centre on different levels, and show plenty of diversity. Follow the trackbed of the old mineral line, through the gate at the road to World's End, and there loads more at the side of the path, and in the thicket to the side. I have been to see the Epipactis at famous sites like Warbug, but that pales to insignificance to sites like Minera. PM me for details f how to get there, oor for directions to another nearby site agiain ith hundreds of E. helleborine.
Old Wednesday 10th July 2019, 20:41   #110
Acid John

Six Spot-Burnet with a tongue all gummed up with Pyramid Orchid pollina at Talacre this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SIX SPOT BURNET.jpg
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	699500  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: