• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying Help (1 Viewer)

It's a shame our local store (biggest in the Netherlands) doesn't carry the Nikon models, something about they having a lot of hassle dealing with aftersale customer service (between the store and nikon). I'd like to compare them as well. Maybe I'll find a shop elsewhere that has them all.

You kinda made my point. 148>145>135>133>128. In most cases(but not always), I shoot for an 8X FOV of 400ft or greater. So the way I look at it the Conquest HD 8X42 has a FOV of 384ft @ 1000yds vs. 435ft @ 1000yds.

No, the point is that the majority of 8x42 bins have 130/1000m - give or take 5. Until the advent of the SF this was the limit.
The two exceptions mentioned are quite new and unique at 3 times plus out of that range.

The Nikon MHG is one of those two exceptions which certainly gives it some points - and it looses some for lack of edge sharpness. Some might prefer a slightly smaller field sharp to the edges, others might go for the wider field - or have their cake and eat it too and shell out the dough for the SF.

Somebody with a bulky pair of glasses will not love the MHG if he can't see the whole field - in that case the Conquest is a better choice.

Joachim

(I hope not to hijack the thread)
Chuck, since you are talking about the 8x42 MHG, may I ask a question that intrigues me? (I know you don't own a crystal ball to forsee the future). The 8x42 MHG is incredibly light, about the weight of some 8x32 (like the EDG), but from the pictures I've seen (some thanks to you, keep posting as many as you feel like, I find them really helpful!) it does not seem to be particularly short or small, pretty average. So that leaves me wondering two things:
- Doesn't if feel to weak or flimsy?
- Doesn't it point to a less-than-desirable durability in the long term, given that some serious shortcuts must have been taken to reduce weight so dramatically? I've read your comments about how well put together it is (I've only tried the 8x30 MHG, not its bigger siblings).
Thanks for any comments!

Weak/flimsy/durability- No not all. In fact the MHG comes across as very stout. I'll give you that the MHG doesn't have thicker armoring on every inch of it as does a Swarovski SLC for example. So there is a weight savings. ALSO the MHG features a magnesium alloy body to help keep weight down. Everyone uses their binoculars in different ways and takes care of them differently but I really don't see any durability issues in the future for this binocular. It's a relatively young binocular so time will tell but I'd bet there won't be any issues coming up with that.

I'm wondering the same thing and in particular the relative merits of the 8x42 MHG vs the Swarovski EL 8x32 SV. Their weight and size is fairly similar and both have wide fields of view. Obviously the EL gives a flatter field, but maybe the MHG has advantages with the larger objectives. Is it a no brainer to go for the ELs if you have the funds or is it worth considering the MHG or are they actually so very different that it's not really worth thinking of them as at all comparable?

They are a lot alike. The SV 32 behaves more like a 42mm and the MHG in some ways behaves a lot like a 32mm. I have to say that with the funds, I'd probably rather have the SV 32mm but not by much. Mainly the flatter field wins here for me.

No, the point is that the majority of 8x42 bins have 130/1000m - give or take 5. Until the advent of the SF this was the limit.
The two exceptions mentioned are quite new and unique at 3 times plus out of that range.

The Nikon MHG is one of those two exceptions which certainly gives it some points - and it looses some for lack of edge sharpness. Some might prefer a slightly smaller field sharp to the edges, others might go for the wider field - or have their cake and eat it too and shell out the dough for the SF.

Somebody with a bulky pair of glasses will not love the MHG if he can't see the whole field - in that case the Conquest is a better choice.

Joachim

Joachim,

So what does the Conquest HD 8X42 do that the Monarch HG 8X42 doesn't?

FOV- MHG with similar field curvature
Weight- MHG
Size- MHG
Eyecups- MHG
Focus- MHG slightly
Eye relief- Conquest HD. BUT I wear glasses and the MHG is fine. Does the OP wear glasses?

For my dollar I'd rather have the 8X42 Monarch HG. For the reasons above. No reason not to. Now in 8X32(30) or 10X42 it way very well be different.

Have you used both of these binoculars?

GAL1LEO,

Have you looked into AU groups like BirdLife? They have events all over, including Queensland. I bet you could join a mailing list or something and arrange to try out a few bins with their members. There's also many other birding clubs in the area, it seems (http://www.ausbird.com/bird-clubs-societies/).

I am not sure if you are comfortable buying used. ebay.com.au international lists a few interesting pairs, mostly shipping from UK. Zeiss 8x42 FL (AU$1549), Zeiss Victory SF 8x42 (AU $2644 - $2,736), Leica Ultravid HD 8x42 (bid AU $1,003.88). Some of those will accept offers. I'm not vouching for any of those, just listing them as examples.

I've bought used Zeiss before, and they have been excellent about cleaning and servicing them for free, even when one needed to be sent back to Germany for a focuser repair (Zeiss Victory HT 10x42). At least that's Zeiss USA. I've also bought used Swaro ELs, but they did not need service. The HT's were about 50% off, but after I sent them to Zeiss for repair the came back like new. The Swaro EL Fpro had some insignificant scratches on the hinge, and were 25% off.

Also, when you talk with the retailers, ask them if they will be at any birding or optics events. Often you can get a group of resellers and manufacturers all in one place where you can try in more of a field setting. I am not sure if that is a thing where you are.

I'll kick in some opinion too. If you will just have one pair, 8x42 is probably a good size. 8x32 is nicer for hiking, but if you want brighter and easier to use, 8x42 is likely it. I always use a bin harness around the shoulders.
Some people strongly prefer the lighter weight of an 8x32 and have fewer shakes with it, so end up with a sharper view. In terms of quality, some people will instantly see optical differences between a US$500 vs US$1000 vs US$2000 binocular. Others not so much. Unfortunately, the only way to know, for you personally, if the marginal improvements is with the larger and larger price is to try them.

I've found for me, I do notice the differences and appreciate the quality of the Zeiss HT (10x42) and Swaro EL FieldPro (8.5x42). I also use the Kowa Genesis 8x33 and Leica 8x20, depending on how small I want to pack. When I'm carrying camera gear with a big lens, I almost always use the 8x33 or 8x20. If I had to pick just one, it would most likely be the Swaro EL FP 8.5x42. The Zeiss HT is a close second.

I've not tried the Zeiss SF or the Nikon MGH or the Swaro SLC.

Marc

"I'm wondering the same thing and in particular the relative merits of the 8x42 MHG vs the Swarovski EL 8x32 SV."

If I had to choose between the SV 8x32 and the Nikon 8x42 MHG there is no doubt I would take the SV but it is twice the price. The quality and optics of the SV are second to none but the MHG is an excellent value at $1K. The SV 8x32 has a flatter field and sharper edges and almost as big of a FOV as the MHG and it is a higher quality binocular and it should be. The HG's are a good choice because they perform like a 42mm but they are the size and weight of a 32mm. If you don't wear glasses don't forget the Porro's like the Habicht because they offer a lot of the advantages the Nikon HG does being less than 23 oz. for the 10x40 and the 7x42 and offering the performance of the bigger aperture plus very high light transmission. So they are light and bright plus you get the benefit of the 3D porro view and they can be purchased for less money than the either the Conquest or the Nikon HG for around $700.00 new.

Last edited:
Dennis do you still feel the Nikon e2 8x30 is better than the MHG?

Top reviews
Dennis W. Mau·October 29, 2017
5.0 out of 5 starsVerified Purchase
Better than the new Nikon 8x42 MHG at 1/2 the price!
The Nikon 8x30 EII is better than the new Nikon 8x42 MHG at 1/2 the price.The MHG will no doubt be a good binocular for a lot of people but it is not for me. The Nikon 8x30 E2 works better for my eyes. It gives me a more relaxed view maybe due to the porro-prism design with no blackouts, a bigger FOV with 3D realism instead of the picture like view of the MHG, it controls CA better than the MHG, it is sharper on-axis and the edges are just as sharp and the sweet spot is just as big as the MHG in my opinion. Plus it is 1/2 the price of the MHG. It just goes to show you you have to try a binocular yourself to determine if it works for you. The EII is absolutely the best binocular you can buy under $1000.00 and really it is very,very close to the best binoculars made costing over $2500.00 like the Swarovski SV or Zeiss SF.
3 people found this helpful

[/B]
"I'm wondering the same thing and in particular the relative merits of the 8x42 MHG vs the Swarovski EL 8x32 SV."

If I had to choose between the SV 8x32 and the Nikon 8x42 MHG there is no doubt I would take the SV but it is twice the price. The quality and optics of the SV are second to none but the MHG is an excellent value at $1K. The SV 8x32 has a flatter field and sharper edges and almost as big of a FOV as the MHG and it is a higher quality binocular and it should be. The HG's are a good choice because they perform like a 42mm but they are the size and weight of a 32mm. If you don't wear glasses don't forget the Porro's like the Habicht because they offer a lot of the advantages the Nikon HG does being less than 23 oz. for the 10x40 and the 7x42 and offering the performance of the bigger aperture plus very high light transmission. So they are light and bright plus you get the benefit of the 3D porro view and they can be purchased for less money than the either the Conquest or the Nikon HG for around $700.00 new.

Thanks for your comments Dennis and Chuck. I'm definitely getting closer to pulling the trigger on a pair of SV 8x32. I like my my SV 8.5x42s, but with their weight I end up using my 8x30 MHG more. I can see myself selling both and just having the SV 8x32.

GAL1LEO,

Have you looked into AU groups like BirdLife? They have events all over, including Queensland. I bet you could join a mailing list or something and arrange to try out a few bins with their members. There's also many other birding clubs in the area, it seems (http://www.ausbird.com/bird-clubs-societies/).
No I haven't, good advice. I will look into a group.

I am not sure if you are comfortable buying used.
I'm not against it, I like new things though :)

Cheers for the help Marc

Thanks for your comments Dennis and Chuck. I'm definitely getting closer to pulling the trigger on a pair of SV 8x32. I like my my SV 8.5x42s, but with their weight I end up using my 8x30 MHG more. I can see myself selling both and just having the SV 8x32.
Honestly. If you can only have one an 8x32 SV is a pretty good choice.;)

Yes, I would still say the Nikon 8x30 E2 is better for me than the Nikon HG 8x42 but when somebody ask's what binocular do I recommend for them I rarely suggest a porro because for most people they don't work as good especially those who wear glasses and for obvious reasons they are just not as popular because they are considered old-fashioned and the E2 is not waterproof. I actually preferred the Nikon HG 10x42 over the HG 8x42. I don't have the HG's anymore because mainly I have several Swarovki SV's in 8.5x42, 8x32, and 10x32 but I still have the E2 because with it's huge FOV which is probably the biggest on the market and porro prism design it is unique. I recently compared my Nikon 8x30 E2 to my Habicht 8x30 W and IMO there is no doubt the Habicht is better but I still like the E2. Actually, here I would recommend a Habicht 10x40 W but most people would just laugh! They don't know how good they are.;)

Also, such varying prices makes it hard for a newbie, like me, to line them all up.
Monarch HG 8x42 is about $1500 AUD, Conquest HD 8x42 $1350 AUD, SLC 8x42 $2100 AUD and the EL 8x32 $2600 AUD

Hi All,
I am in the market for a new set of 8x42 binoculars.
The plan is that they will be with me for a long time.
I am in the tier two category and have tried to do as much research as I can.
I am looking at the Zeiss Conquest or Nikon Monarch HG. The Swarovski is not out completely of the picture but might be a little bit out of reach price-wise

Anyway my issue is Brisbane, Australia doesn't seem to have the stock that will allow me try before I buy.

Any suggestions as to what I should do or just take a punt on a set?

Cheers
Brendan

Hello GAL1LEO,
If you can find them I would suggest that you also have a look at the Kowa BD42-8XD Prominar 8 x 42 bins , I have these and find them to be very good overall.
I am also in the position of having very few choices available as far as binoculars are concerned.
Good luck with your search.

What does the SV stand for?
In Australia we have them described as EL 8x42 WB etc.
SV stands for Swarovision, which is the field flattened version of the ELs, so the last two versions (Swarovision and Field Pro), but not the original ELs.

Weak/flimsy/durability- No not all. In fact the MHG comes across as very stout. I'll give you that the MHG doesn't have thicker armoring on every inch of it as does a Swarovski SLC for example. So there is a weight savings. ALSO the MHG features a magnesium alloy body to help keep weight down. Everyone uses their binoculars in different ways and takes care of them differently but I really don't see any durability issues in the future for this binocular. It's a relatively young binocular so time will tell but I'd bet there won't be any issues coming up with that.

Chuck, thank you so much, as always, for your great information and availability, it is such a great luck to get this fist-hand information and opinions :)

Yes, I would still say the Nikon 8x30 E2 is better for me than the Nikon HG 8x42 but when somebody ask's what binocular do I recommend for them I rarely suggest a porro because for most people they don't work as good especially those who wear glasses and for obvious reasons they are just not as popular because they are considered old-fashioned and the E2 is not waterproof. I actually preferred the Nikon HG 10x42 over the HG 8x42. I don't have the HG's anymore because mainly I have several Swarovki SV's in 8.5x42, 8x32, and 10x32 but I still have the E2 because with it's huge FOV which is probably the biggest on the market and porro prism design it is unique. I recently compared my Nikon 8x30 E2 to my Habicht 8x30 W and IMO there is no doubt the Habicht is better but I still like the E2. Actually, here I would recommend a Habicht 10x40 W but most people would just laugh! They don't know how good they are.;)

How does the E2 compare with Toric?

How does the E2 compare with Toric?
I haven't had the Tract Toric 8x42 in awhile so it is a little hard to go from memory. I liked the Toric a lot but eventually I was seduced by larger FOV binoculars. The Toric is gone and I still have the E2 so that should answer your question.

Sounds like you're in the same boat as I am. There was a discounted 1st gen SV for sale earlier this month just €1300 near where I live, but I just spend all the money on a new scope so I reluctantly had to pass on the bin. I think I'll probably get one next year.

No doubt I use the SV 8X32 more. There ARE times I do like to split hairs and use the 8.5X. Going birding tomorrow at Lake Apopka Wildlife Drive in Florida. I really don't know what to expect but I decided I wanted just a LITTLE more magnification so I have the 8.5X42 with me. Very few regret getting a SV 8X32 from what I see.

Chuck, thank you so much, as always, for your great information and availability, it is such a great luck to get this fist-hand information and opinions :)

My pleasure!

Sounds like you're in the same boat as I am. There was a discounted 1st gen SV for sale earlier this month just €1300 near where I live, but I just spend all the money on a new scope so I reluctantly had to pass on the bin. I think I'll probably get one next year.

Always next year!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back