• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colubus at Nyungwe, Rwanda (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Am I correct in assigning them as Colubus angolensis ruwenzorii?

Also the Tree Hyrax we were lucky to see in Uganda at Mabira, I assume they're Southern?

Hippos in Rwanda at Akagera, Great Northern H a amphibius?

Many thanks for any help.

Last edited:
The Colobus subspecies should be correct.

Both Southern and Western tree hyrax occur in Uganda west of the Nile, with Western tree hyrax on lower elevations than Southern. But pictures or voice recordings would be necessary for reliable ID...

Hippo subspecies are probably invalid anyway, neither Kingdon nor Groves recognizes them, but if you insist it should indeed be the nominate.

The Colobus subspecies should be correct.

Both Southern and Western tree hyrax occur in Uganda west of the Nile, with Western tree hyrax on lower elevations than Southern. But pictures or voice recordings would be necessary for reliable ID...

Hippo subspecies are probably invalid anyway, neither Kingdon nor Groves recognizes them, but if you insist it should indeed be the nominate.

Thanks T.O, we do have a shot of the Hyrax, I'll post it when the photos get sorted.

Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back