Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Leica monocular vs Trinovid binocular 8x20

Old Sunday 22nd January 2012, 20:27   #1
Wdh777

Leica monocular vs Trinovid binocular 8x20

I'm looking for a compact monocular or binocular for sports etc. I'm leaning toward the monocular but why is it more expensive than the binoculars. After all the binoculars are like 2 monoculars. Does the monocular have higher quality glass or what am I missing? Thanks
Old Sunday 22nd January 2012, 20:49   #2
jaymoynihan
Corvus brachyrhynchos watcher

I recently purchased the Leica Monovid monocular, and i discuss it here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=220741

I am unfamiliar with with Leica compact binoculars, but as a general point, given your intended use, I would recommend going with the binocular, not the monocular.
"If there is a heaven, and i am allowed entrance, I will ask for no more than an endless living world to walk through and explore. I will carry with me an inexhaustible supply of notebooks from which i can send back reports to the more sedentary spirits." E.O. Wilson
Old Sunday 22nd January 2012, 22:10   #3
ceasar

The Monocular has more modern coatings than the Trinovid binoculars do. It also comes with a closeup lens which can be attached to it. Also while the Trinovid 8 x 20 binocular is good it's hinges make it hard to use. In effect, it's double hinges are double jointed.

Most top of the line compact double hinged binoculars have a horizontal stop that prohibits the objective tubes from flipping up higher than 180 degrees. This keeps both tubes in one level plane and makes it easy to set your IPD when you open the binoculars to use them. Merely open the tube for one eye out as wide as possible and then fold the 2nd tube down and inward to where it fits over your other eye.

It is awkward to do this with the Trinovid. The double jointed hinges on the binocular allow the objective tubes to move above and below this horizontal plane and they can actually be set in a "Z" shape. Because of this it is harder setting the tubes to one's correct IPD. The newer and more expensive Ultravids do not do this AFAIK.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 23rd January 2012, 08:23   #4
Riverbank

We've got the new Leica Monovid and a pair of the Leica Ultravid HDs and I suspect that the coatings on the lens on the monocular and the binoculars are very similar in quality. I haven't used Trinovids but I think that they represent older technology in their lenses and coatings. I will pass on the best advise that I ever received concerning optics and that is, "Get the very best pair that you can afford."
Of course, it all depends on how much birding you do, but I figured out that since I use my binoculars every day, and that really high quality bins last a long time, I spend pennies a day on my binoculars and they give me a lot of pleasure for the investment.
The Monocular is great if you want something small and light for relatively short viewing times. For long periods of use, binoculars are usually better, but only if they fit your hands and eyes and are really easy on your eyes when you use them. The better the lenses and the coatings, and the fit of the binoculars, the more you will use them. The more you use them, the better deal you have got for yourself.
I learned this the hard way and had several pair of 'OK' binoculars and two monoculars that did very little but sit in their cases at home and in the car. Although I saved some money when I bought them, it was really money wasted.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: