Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special ‚Äď Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swarovski 95mm Objective Lens Rattles?

Old Saturday 1st June 2019, 23:06   #1
tranathi

Swarovski 95mm Objective Lens Rattle Noise

Hello, I just bought a Swarovski ATX 95mm set and the objective lens has a low rattle noise like there are moving parts in it. The sound is heard near the focus ring. Iím coming from the Kowa 883 and that scope has zero noise when handling (even when shaking it on purpose). Can any Swarovski 95mm owner help me check theirs and confirm whether this is normal?

Thanks

Last edited by tranathi : Saturday 1st June 2019 at 23:16.
Old Sunday 2nd June 2019, 11:15   #2
Binastro

Hi tranathi and welcome.

It is not unusual for high quality optics to rattle to prevent pinched optics and distortion. This is expected in high quality astro optics.

However, Swarovski 95mm owners should check whether Swarovskis actually do this or have cushioning.

Regards,
B.
Old Sunday 2nd June 2019, 16:31   #3
tranathi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binastro View Post
Hi tranathi and welcome.

It is not unusual for high quality optics to rattle to prevent pinched optics and distortion. This is expected in high quality astro optics.

However, Swarovski 95mm owners should check whether Swarovskis actually do this or have cushioning.

Regards,
B.
Thanks, Binastro. So far this scope doesnít seem to have any issue except for the mentioned sound. Iíll keep an eye on it to see if that causes any technical problem later on. Thanks again.
Old Sunday 2nd June 2019, 16:38   #4
mayoayo

You should contact Swarovski technical service..For me ,It doesnt sound right,..
Old Tuesday 4th June 2019, 22:29   #5
DRodrigues

Mine makes the sound you describe when zooming. Just finished shaking it since never noticed before - yes it also does that noise.
I think it's normal since I never noticed any problem with image quality.

http://www.pt-ducks.com
Old Wednesday 5th June 2019, 05:37   #6
jring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRodrigues View Post
Mine makes the sound you describe when zooming. Just finished shaking it since never noticed before - yes it also does that noise.
I think it's normal since I never noticed any problem with image quality.
Hi,

thanks David - I think we are safe to assume that Binastro is correct then and it is done on purpose... after nothing is worse than a lens which is mounted tight...

Joachim
Old Thursday 6th June 2019, 15:18   #7
Binastro

The problem with optics that rattle is that over time the lens elements rotate.
This means they get out of the best position that an expert technician put them in in the first place.

Usually, optics are lightly marked in pencil, or light marks on the edge, with an inclined line and correct position.
When taken apart for cleaning these lines are usually well out of place.
Some optics have the makers names or initials.

In the case of astronomical telescope mirrors I found a Latin phrase also. In another, an ancient Greek biblical verse. I had to get a translation from the local Greek church.

The Ross 100mm f/15 triplet objective had a small edge semicircular cutout at the edge of each element. The brave maker did this.
A rod went through these three cutouts, so that the elements could never rotate from best position.
This objective was essentially perfect with no trace of false colour.

B.
Old Tuesday 11th June 2019, 21:19   #8
tranathi

Thanks to all that replied to this thread. I had finally received the replacement scope last weekend (drop shipped directly from Swarovski Optik). Iím sorry to report that the new one also has this small rattle sound near the focus ring. At this point I start to believe itís just the mechanical parts inside the focus ring that makes that sound when handling the scope. I called Swarovski service support and they confirmed that it is normal, and one may also make more notable sound than another. At least all this had reassured that I didnít spend >$4k for a defective unit. So far this scope has been a joy looking through this glass. Iím looking forward to using it a lot this summer.
Old Wednesday 12th June 2019, 03:59   #9
forent

Rest assured: my ATX lens modules 65 and 95 also rattle a little bit. Nothing to worry about.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: