• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Product Introduction Today From Swarovski ? (1 Viewer)

Ed, the Linet is nowhere near 96* AFoV. Linet were notorious for their completely over-the-top claims on their prism covers. They wouldn't get away with it today. The AFoV is probably mid 70s so comparable with the new NL.

Graham

See my comments on this Linet binocular dating back to 2012, post #23. You can believe what you wish but please don't lecture. CN reviews generally show the real field angle to be ~.5º less than advertised on the cover plate, but that's probably based on personal astro measurements. For terrestrial applications I prefer circular (not linear) apparent field calculations. Be that as it may, I've made personal comparative observations using Audubons that have ~70º AFOV and virtually the same body and optics quality. In addition, I don't believe Hiyoshi Kogaku would be a party to massive product deception as you suggest.

Ed

Last edited:
I assume you have the newer CL b which are very nice indeed. The one I tried briefly had a nice precise focus and practically the same ergonomic feel as the original. I don't feel any need to go up from the original even though some things may be a little better in the new one. I've spent too much money on binoculars over the years and it's time to stop and be satisfied with what I have.

I always wanted to try the EDG 8x32 just out of curiosity since I read it's sort of a Japanese Ultravid and does a couple things even better, but they are pretty big for 32mm.
Yes, I have the newer CL 8x30 and CL 10x30. I am surprised how good the 10x30 is. It show's less glare than the 10x32 SV I had and it has relatively easy eye placement for a 10x30. The newer CL's have a bigger FOV which you may like. I really like the size and weight of the CL's and the ergonomic's. The EDG's are excellent optically and are probably one of the best out there but as you say a little big and heavy for a 32mm and Nikon can be kind of lame when you deal with them compared to Swarovski. I don't spend any more money on binocular's. I just change my inventory about every two month's.:-O

Just watched the video. So delightfully honest, bad, silly, great, that Swaro just sold me on a 10x. Sign me up!
The video is interesting because you see how honest, sincere and genuinely proud of their product they are. They are not flashy or high pressure marketing people. They are just the people that work hard behind the scenes to bring out a new product.

Last edited:
Yes, I have the newer CL 8x30 and CL 10x30. I am surprised how good the 10x30 is. It show's less glare than the 10x32 SV I had and it has relatively easy eye placement for a 10x30. The newer CL's have a bigger FOV which you may like. I really like the size and weight of the CL's and the ergonomic's. The EDG's are excellent optically and are probably one of the best out there but as you say a little big and heavy for a 32mm and Nikon can be kind of lame when you deal with them compared to Swarovski. I don't spend any more money on binocular's. I just change my inventory about every two month's.:-O

Dennis...I have a pair of CL's coming in tomorrow to compare side by side to the Meostars, HG's and Trinovids. Should be interesting.

No doubt the new Swaro's coming out will top just about anything out here. It seems like Zeiss and Swaro push each other every so many years. Now, the SF is how many years old now? ...With the inclusion of the 32mm, I wonder what might be next for Zeiss? or....what might Swaro do? I know in the video someone hinted (in a question) about the 32mm's...right? but no definitive response.

I got tired of the weight of the EDG's and the FL's despite their excellent optic's and Nikon couldn't even send me a replacement strap for my EDG so I went back to ALL Swaro's.

Dennis...they change their binoculars more often than their underpants, a few weeks ago they still recommended EDG and spoke of good Nikonservice!
How can you be so fickle, the question is serious ???

Compliments to Swarovski, the Austrians are constantly losing in football against the Germans, in the field of binoculars, however, the Germans are only second winners,:-C once again, swarovski becomes world champion.:clap:

Andreas

If you use MOLCET technique (bracing against the brow), you have the same advantage, minus extra cost, equipment and weight.
I think the head rest would be a little more stabile than the Molcet technique and it would have the advantage of steadying the binocular's when you use them one handed. Often times using binocular's one handed can be handy and not only for hunter's. This guy claim's 20 to 25% improvement in stability. His comment on the big FOV is interesting and how it changes when you put them on a tripod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6fou0AFEB0&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Dennis...they change their binoculars more often than their underpants, a few weeks ago they still recommended EDG and spoke of good Nikonservice!
How can you be so fickle, the question is serious ???

Compliments to Swarovski, the Austrians are constantly losing in football against the Germans, in the field of binoculars, however, the Germans are only second winners,:-C once again, swarovski becomes world champion.:clap:

Andreas
I am growing weary lately of Nikon's lack of support with their optical product's even though they have made some of the best binocular's around. It seem's like they are clueless when you ask them a question or need something. The EDG's have been discontinued for over 5 years now and they don't have any replacement part's so if you break them you are basically going to get a refund if you bought them in the US. I went back to a company I can get some support from, Swarovski.

Last edited:
Dennis...I have a pair of CL's coming in tomorrow to compare side by side to the Meostars, HG's and Trinovids. Should be interesting.

No doubt the new Swaro's coming out will top just about anything out here. It seems like Zeiss and Swaro push each other every so many years. Now, the SF is how many years old now? ...With the inclusion of the 32mm, I wonder what might be next for Zeiss? or....what might Swaro do? I know in the video someone hinted (in a question) about the 32mm's...right? but no definitive response.
I think you will like the CL's. I liked the CL 8x30 so much I bought the 10x30. A 17 oz. binocular is really nice to carry all day and you don't miss much not having a 32mm. I am pretty sure Swarovski will follow with a 8x32 NL Pure within a year. They probably are already working on one.

I am growing weary lately of Nikon's lack of support with their optical product's even though they have made some of the best binocular's around. It seem's like they are clueless when you ask them a question or need something. I went back to a company I can get some support from, Swarovski.

four weeks ago...
I have found Nikon will take care of you about as well as Swarovski will. I wouldn't worry about the warranty or the build quality.

:D

Andreas

Hi Lee (post #277),

Your image shows the Zeiss SF's prisms flipped 180 degrees, so that the order of the 2 prisms in the optical train is changed
However, Swarovski states that the NL’s prisms are rotated 90 degrees (see the text included in post #85)

The prisms are probably still in their original order as in the EL SV, but orientated so that the flat sides of the 2 prisms are inboard
e.g. see a cutaway of an EL SV on display at the Swarovski factory, showing the conventional orientation; from: https://optics-info.com/swarovski-factory-tour-by-optics-trade/
(as the image shows the central axis of the light path, it makes clear both: the small degree of offset between the objective and ocular axes, and;
how the offset is maximised with the usual orientation)

Hopefully, as usual when Swarovski introduces a major new binocular, it will post a cutaway image of the NL’s innards so that what's been done will become clearer

John

Attachments

• EL SV.jpg
    EL SV.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I am growing weary lately of Nikon's lack of support with their optical product's even though they have made some of the best binocular's around. It seem's like they are clueless when you ask them a question or need something. The EDG's have been discontinued for over 5 years now and they don't have any replacement part's so if you break them you are basically going to get a refund if you bought them in the US. I went back to a company I can get some support from, Swarovski.

This is what worries me about Nikon....will they / are they; really around for customer service & warranty etc.? So when I look at purchasing a Nikon, this simply has to come into play. Swarovski, well I know where they stand and I have no issue so purchasing a new product such as the NL, I know that even if little issues crop up, I am sure they will fix right away. Can the same be said of Zeiss? Or Leica? Not sure....

See the pic. SF on the right, EL on the left, see the prisms are rotated in SF so that the bigger one is on top, nearest to the eyepieces.

Lee

Lee:

Thanks for the comparison photo, it seems the Zeiss Victory SF will have an EDGe in handling and the rear balance that makes them such a joy to use.

The SF does not need a forehead pad, what a distraction that seems to be.

Jerry

On the occasional threads about what binocular improvements people would like to see, the possibility of image stabilization on alphas is often raised. On one of these threads I pointed out that the only currently available binoculars with image stabilization at that time were porros and until now that remained the case but with the new Swarovski NL Pure image stabilization on roofs things have changed. Whether this new system works on the 8x, 10x and 12x remains to be seen, but will it work on higher magnifications. This will need to be examined before it can be claimed to be an all embracing system, as image stabilisation has a more beneficial effect at higher magnification.

SWAROVSKI HAVE ADMITTED THAT IMAGE STABILISATION IS NECESSARY EVEN FOR 8X AND 10X BINOCULARS So Kimmo Kabsetz has been right all along and should be congratulated for pointing it out so often.

Leica, Nikon, Zeiss and others have a lot of catching up to do.

Stan

Stan: How does the new NL have image stabilazation ? If you think the
forehead pad is the trick, I don't agree.

For 12x and above things are harder, and a tripod is helpful and often necessary.

Jerry

There is some additional information in the form of a press release on the Swarovski site at: https://aa.swarovskioptik.com/press/NL_Pure_Eins_mit_der_Natur

It states that the waist area is oval in cross-section:
‘The incredibly compact optics are encased in a uniquely ergonomic housing . . .
With an oval recess between the thumb and index finger, the shape of the binoculars conforms to your natural grip.’

Also included is an image is of an actual unit rather than an artist’s impression

John

And another image of a real unit, giving an idea of the size of the bridge/ focuser area from: https://www.foto-erhardt.de/fernglas-spektiv/fernglaeser/swarovski/swarovski-nl-pure-8x42.html

Attachments

• NL Pure.jpg
    NL Pure.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 151
  • Bridge area.jpg
    Bridge area.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 164
Hi Lee (post #277),

Your image shows the Zeiss SF's prisms flipped 180 degrees, so that the order of the 2 prisms in the optical train is changed
However, Swarovski states that the NL’s prisms are rotated 90 degrees (see the text included in post #85)

The prisms are probably still in their original order as in the EL SV, but orientated so that the flat sides of the 2 prisms are inboard
e.g. see a cutaway of an EL SV on display at the Swarovski factory, showing the conventional orientation; from: https://optics-info.com/swarovski-factory-tour-by-optics-trade/
(as the image shows the central axis of the light path, it makes clear both: the small degree of offset between the objective and ocular axes, and;
how the offset is maximised with the usual orientation)

Hopefully, as usual when Swarovski introduces a major new binocular, it will post a cutaway image of the NL’s innards so that what's been done will become clearer

John

Hi John,

I thought I remembered mention of a 90º rotation somewhere. As was recently discussed in one of the Kowa BD II XD threads rotating the S-P prism cluster doesn't matter optically so any rotational position can be chosen to help achieve the desired body shape. As you can see in the diagram below, Swarovski has used both prism arrangements in the past. They might have stuck with the Schmidt prism as the back prism in the NL or they might have reversed the order if that worked better for the new body shape. I also hope we'll see a cutaway soon.

Henry

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I'm still very much intrigued by Swaro's idea of a forehead rest. It may be the germ of a revolution.
The US Army used a helmet mount for its night sights, just flip them down and instant night vision. In principle, a hat mounted binocular would work the same way.
Obvious challenges are the weight and bulk of the existing glasses.
Advantages would be built in stabilization, plus hands free operations.
I do believe IS is by far the most significant improvement in binoculars in the past half century. Finding a way to achieve that without electronics would be revolutionary imho.

How might the forehead rest work as IS? I have never tried an IS binocular so don't know how to relate, but....if I brace my current binocular against the top of a rail or have an elbow on a pole etc, do you think that same effect would equal the IS that they state is from the forehead rest? ...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back